Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid vaccination  (Read 74164 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Covid vaccination
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2021, 07:35:00 pm »

To brighten up your evening this is what I am missing. First pic is Kato Zakros in Southern Crete. 2nd one is Itea on the Gulf of Corinth near Delphi. (sigh!)

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2021, 07:37:18 pm »

Thanks Baldrick reason for asking was people like myself who were done in December not had a date yet
Cheers

Assume down your area it was probably at your GP or local clinic, I would not think it unreasonable to start rumblings for a follow on date with them.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2021, 08:02:26 pm »

Assume down your area it was probably at your GP or local clinic, I would not think it unreasonable to start rumblings for a follow on date with them.

Around here they have been cancelling 2nd appointments. 12 weeks gap is in force.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2021, 08:41:40 pm »

Yes 3 months on , the booking software automatically put it on the pro forma

I didn't get a date after my first jab. They just said they'd contact me when it came around.  :((

Having said that, my old boss's wife has had BOTH her jabs already! She had the first one just after NYE.
Regards
Kit

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2021, 07:25:01 am »

Once again the standard of Uk journalism leaves much to be desired.

This mornings Mail is complaining that the 50% possible chance of increased mortality from the Covid variants is scaremongering and should not have been included in the press conference. Can you imagine the headline if they had found out about a 50% chance of increased mortality that had not been reported? Damned if you do & damned if you don't.

It is very clear that the world needs to get the number of Covid cases way down to stop the virus having so many chances to mutate. If the speculation of reduced effectiveness against the new strains is true, and we keep giving the virus so many chances to mutate further, it is, I think, hard to see how we are going to get out of this mess. Scaremongering? I don't think so.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2021, 09:31:44 am »

Was watching the update yesterday and was surprised to hear what I always expected of the vaccination - that a lot of people mistakenly believe they are instantly protected, but as was stated in the briefing - once injected wait 3-4 weeks and then some protection against the severe symptoms, you could catch it and spread it even though vaccinated, the second dose improves the reduction to severe symptoms and increases the protection timescale, a vaccine only protects against the symptoms and boosts the immune system to help fight it, not stop it dead in its tracks.

I dont know if most people remember what we were asked to do in the first wave and that is to wear gloves - I have the blue nitrile gloves (from work when I did a couple shifts last year) and put them on and sanitize them when entering a shop and wash them when I get home, just in case i pick something up and do not buy it - therefore protecting others, but I dont see anyone else wearing gloves and I would if this why its spreading more easily other than its viralance
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2021, 10:28:25 am »

Whether we like it or not covid may be about for a long time just like the common cold. The vaccine will not stop you getting covid but should you contract covid the bodies natural  defence system will kick in and fight covid. Sadly people in the u k have not followed the rule's and still flout the restrictions putting strain on the N H S and keeping the lockdown in place for longer. For those who have a flu jab every year you may in the future  also have to have a covid booster. We are all hoping get back and enjoy our hobby once again and have something we have all missed a  HOLIDAY. With this in mind lets hope 2021will allow us to do both.

Stan. :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2021, 11:16:36 am »

But even the Lancet  says surface contact highly unlikely to spread it.As for wearing gloves a personal choice I think there is more risk of eye entry

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2021, 12:21:36 pm »

It does not matter how it spreads we have to on our guard at all times. We all know the drill hands/ face /space we have listened to this message for over 12 months now. We all are longing for the days when you can go to the pub or a meal out and have some type of normality once again.

Stan.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2021, 06:39:17 pm »

I dont know if most people remember what we were asked to do in the first wave and that is to wear gloves - I have the blue nitrile gloves (from work when I did a couple shifts last year) and put them on and sanitize them when entering a shop and wash them when I get home, just in case i pick something up and do not buy it - therefore protecting others, but I dont see anyone else wearing gloves and I would if this why its spreading more easily other than its viralance
I remember there was discussion about gloves, but the virus exists just as well on those as on your hands - so if you touch your face, the virus is there gloves or not. Worse, people are less likely to sterilise their gloves than wash their hands or sanitise them. I carry a small bottle of sanitiser in my pocket and run some into my hands every time I leave a shop, even if I'm about to go into another one. At Christmas, I managed 6 sanitses in half an hour as 2 shops also wanted me to use theirs on entry. On the plus side, no cold so far this year...

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2021, 03:35:27 am »

My idiot neighbours on both sides,all of whom have had covid, a nurse, a fireman, a butcher and a supposedly asthmatic are still having parties every single weekend. And still claiming they are doing everything by the rules?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2021, 03:56:15 am »

Bunker down Andy...I find it difficult to understand how the Nurse & the Fireman [both Front Line  trained operatives] can be misbehaving like this

Stay away from that particular Butchers shop :-X

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2021, 09:36:03 am »

My idiot neighbours on both sides,all of whom have had covid, a nurse, a fireman, a butcher and a supposedly asthmatic are still having parties every single weekend. And still claiming they are doing everything by the rules?
When you have a nurse who thinks the rules don't apply, this is grist to the mill for anyone who claims Covid isn't as serious as it's all made out. After all, if the nurse doesn't think it's serious, why should anyone else?

Fortunately, most people are abiding by the rules: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55626008
In the meantime, don't go near the butchers, if they are ignoring these rules, you can be sure those aren't the only ones they flout.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2021, 09:47:43 am »

Andy Derek & Phil

I wonder if the fact that they have had Covid is influencing their behaviour. Had it, survived it, have anti bodies that protect me from reinfection, don't give a damn about anybody else. This invincible & lack of caring attitude is something that experts fear might become prevalent in groups that have had the vaccine.

On a separate topic somebody deserves congratulating on nearly half a million vaccinations yesterday.   :-))

Has anybody read anything on whether the much publicised delayed delivery of vaccines to the EU is going to be the same for deliveries to the UK? I am sure that countries (Italy most obviously) are putting a lot of pressure on vaccine manufacturers to make sure that it is someone else who has the shortage.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2021, 10:16:55 am »

There are apparently quite a lot of NHS frontline staff who are declining to take the vaccine. Although it has not been explicitly stated I rather suspect that most of these will be people of ethinic origin who altogether make up a large proportion of the NHS staff. There are worries that the ethnic population generally is being subjected to anti vax propaganda such as that vaccines contain alcohol or pork etc. There is also a legitimate concern arising from previous problems with vaccine experiments in their countries of origin with whom older members of their families may be familiar with and have understandable reservations as a result.

There is certainly concern that in the ethnic communities the vaccine take up rate is only around 50% or so.

Re supplies of the vaccines, I did see a report over the weekend that the original contracted quotas for the UK are so far unaffected. The EU put their orders in much later than we did.

There is certainly a significant minority of people flouting the rules and many of these indeed don't care. But I think that a lot of younger people (and older ones too) simply do not read the papers or watch the news and remain pretty ignorant of the realities. They probably just pick up bits and pieces on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram which are breeding grounds for false information and rumours. They probably don't even know who Matt Hancock is, let alone listen to him!

Colin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2021, 10:20:37 am »

You all aware if anyone inadvertently types covid mayhem in google your posts come up

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2021, 10:39:20 am »

My first paragraph is taken from reports all over the media at the weekend. There was an NHS lady doctor who made a very valid argument for being wary of vaccines after failed experiments in the country her family came from. People need convincing by those they respect such as their community and religious leaders and I don't blame them for that.

When I grew up in the 1950s we were all scared of diptheria, polio, whooping cough, TB etc. and could see the effects of these diseases for ourselves so we appreciated the value of the vaccines which have largely eradicated them. People from immigrant families are unlikely to have that back story.

Colin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2021, 10:53:20 am »

Thinking ahead a tad, there is a possibility that the so-called vaccine passport is going to be required generally  {:-{ for international travel. If this comes about how can you get around the non-acceptance bit?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2021, 11:12:40 am »

The 'covid passport' is a total minefield as people are beginning to realise. Firstly you would need a document that is internationally recognised and guess what, countries are all starting to do their own thing - pity the poor immigration officers in trying to recognise them all and weed out the inevitable forgeries.

And then just where will it apply? Will those without them be left peering enviously through pub windows at those who have them enjoying their drinks inside? What about those who are unable to have the vaccine for medical reasons - will they be barred from social activities and travelling? Will those who could have the vaccine but don't want it be treated as second class citizens?

Come early Summer when most of the vulnerable groups have been vaccinated, will only those people be allowed to travel abroad for holidays? Some southern european holiday hotspot countries and cruise companies seem to be thinking along those lines already.

Bit of a nightmare really!

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2021, 11:16:07 am »

I can see all sorts of problems with a Covid Passport.

Not least are all countries Covid passports going to be given equal status, who is going to issue it and how will it be secure enough to prevent fraudulent copies.

I think that there are also a lot of questions about mutations and vaccine effectiveness that Covid Passports might need to address.

Nice idea until reality kicks in.

If Colin is right about the ethnic balance of vaccination then I am sure someone would yell discrimination.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2021, 11:36:33 am »

I forgot to mention that the fireman is actually part time, his full time job is in a coca cola factory in East Kilbride area. I dont drink coca cola anyway but I would stop if I did. Lol.
Coca covid. I was considering putting up the names of the people ignoring the covid regulations here, in case anyone comes into contact with them. The nurse works in Larbert hospital near Stirling.
 I pity the people she comes into contact with, all blissfully (well maybe not blissfully if you are in hospital) unaware she is risking their lives, she could have been reinfected at any of the numerous parties and be carrying /spreading it without showing any symptoms, or am I wrong here?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2021, 11:40:00 am »

And I wouldnt go near the Butchers in Drymen (near Loch Lomond) either.
As to the fireman from Balfron, do you risk covid or let your house burn down...... Mmmm, maybe the one time you would risk covid exposure?

Barney Magrew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2021, 12:01:07 pm »

I feel very sorry for the crew that the fireman works with.  He is in close proximity to another 5 people when on an appliance, and the rest of the watch on station.
People like this should be subject to disciplinary action for flouting the Government rules.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2021, 12:11:04 pm »

This is what you are up against:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-55668923

Colin

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2021, 12:22:24 pm »

Andy,
I’d be looking at ways I could inform anonymously the hospital and the brigade they work for or the local press. These people would be the first to be saying that people should not be braking lockdown rules if they lost a close family member or friend.
Regards David
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.