Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid vaccination  (Read 74404 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Covid vaccination
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2021, 01:21:35 pm »

evidently so many were anxious to get the vaccine they arrived at the centre hours before their appointment time and caused a clag up.  The wife and I are due to go for ours in 10 days time, hope it will not be tipping it down !

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2021, 01:33:56 pm »

I did wonder if the i photo was of the 15min creche after vaccination to make sure that you don't have any adverse reaction.

Baldrick
That is what umbrellas & waterproofs were made for.  :-))  %)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2021, 01:38:08 pm »

Speaking as someone who has not been in an ordinary shop since last Easter and has maintained absolutely rigorous social distancing this picture in the i newspaper this morning fills me with horror much more than it fills me with hope.

Once more I suspect that they will accept a few getting Covid if it helps protect the NHS. Remember you have no Covid protection for several weeks after getting the vaccine and they are telling us that at least one person, on average, in the picture has the disease. I would much prefer the whole thing to be done outside and to dress accordingly.
Dressing accordingly for the great outdoors at this time of year makes it awkward for the person trying to shove a needle into your arm.  Being dressed for an easy jab, OTOH, is an invitation to hypothermia.  A well chilled octogenarian is not at the peak of infection resistance, and, while Covid is the major worry at the moment, all of the other ailments are still fully available.
A friend of mine (86+) has had both his jabs, both by appointment, both indoors, no crowds.  "On demand" inoculation has little chance of working properly, and must result in the scenes pictured.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2021, 01:52:42 pm »

Dressing accordingly for the great outdoors at this time of year makes it awkward for the person trying to shove a needle into your arm.  Being dressed for an easy jab, OTOH, is an invitation to hypothermia.  A well chilled octogenarian is not at the peak of infection resistance, and, while Covid is the major worry at the moment, all of the other ailments are still fully available.
A friend of mine (86+) has had both his jabs, both by appointment, both indoors, no crowds.  "On demand" inoculation has little chance of working properly, and must result in the scenes pictured.

Is it on demand? I thought that the Centres were appointment based.

I would like the option of outdoors even if it wasn't for everyone. I would also happily give myself the injection but hey that wouldn't let them tick all their boxes. When the time comes I am not going into a centre like those in the pictures.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2021, 02:46:48 pm »

Is it on demand? I thought that the Centres were appointment based.

No, it's not on demand. You will be contacted by your GP, by phone, text or letter and offered an appointment at a specific place and time. If you can't make it or don't want the jab you need to get back to them asap so that somebody else can be offered the slot. There have been complants at some centres by the medical staff that a number of people are just not turning up in which case their dose may be wasted and have to be thrown away.

If you cannot make the appointment it will be rescheduled. If you don't want the jab at this time it's anyone's guess when you might get another opportunity. The current priority is to get as many needles into arms as soon as possible.

Colin

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2021, 01:11:46 pm »

had my jab yesterday the pfizer one all ok  at 90 years old

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2021, 04:28:44 pm »

had my jab yesterday the pfizer one all ok  at 90 years old

HI and me are due to be vaccinated next Friday, did not take the earliest date on the available list, thought I would let them practise on others first.  Have to go to Epsom Racecourse for it , suppose they make you gallop down the home straight and you get it at the winning post

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2021, 04:38:30 pm »

Have to go to Epsom Racecourse for it , suppose they make you gallop down the home straight and you get it at the winning post

Make sure you go in through the right entrance - the injections they give to horses are fearsome.  :o

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2021, 07:58:01 pm »

Hi Baldrick, one thing I learnt at school was get to the front of the vaccination queue otherwise you get the blunt needle.
Roy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2021, 11:00:50 am »

Make sure you go in through the right entrance - the injections they give to horses are fearsome.  :o

Colin
Although some seem to like the ketamine  {-)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2021, 07:26:12 pm »

My neighbours on both sides of me went on holiday to England to see a football match, 8 of them came back with it, never said a word to us, but they did protest loudly on facebook that they had followed guidelines to the letter..... Eh no, they had a party the night they came back and have pretty much had parties every weekend in each others houses. I feel something should be done about this, but what? There is no way to report it without them knowing it was me. I dont want my shed mysteriously catching fire I dont want to alienate the neighbours but what the........ Our neighbours consist of an NHS nurse, a butcher, a fireman (who also works for coca cola) and someone that supposedly suffers from asthma? I actually think she suffers more from sitting on her ass, ma. Or she would be a bit more careful? I am surrounded by idiots. Any policemen out there fancy an anonymous covid party tip off? These people are risking lives
Anyway, I feel pretty helpless, even my wife thinks I shouldnt be saying 'nasty' things about the neighbours. Thats in my own house! As I said, surrounded by idiots.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2021, 05:15:56 pm »

The Dowager Duchess and myself went today to Epsom Downs Racecourse for our jabs and I have to report that the whole organisation up there was fantastic. I was nervous that the experience would be a shambles as so many things here turn out to be but in fact everything up there better than could be dreamed of . They really have got it sorted, straight in to a reception then without waiting to a nurse who did the necessary , and the whole thing was done in such a pleasant manner that it was a pleasure to get done . FULL MARKS TO THEM ALL   :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2021, 06:22:31 pm »

You have my sympathy Andy. It's a really difficult situation to be in if they know it is you that reports them. If they get fined hundreds of pounds then they are certainly likley to get nasty and you have to live with them after all this is(?) over.

I've just been watching the latest Boris briefing and it is clear that although the vaccination programme is going well in most areas and it looks like infections are starting to come down (but not everywhere), things are still on a knife edge and there are lots of factors that could derail all the efforts being made to ge the virus under control.

I watch the news, read the papers and do some research online but it is obvious that many, if not most, of the 20-30 generation and a whole lot of older people do none of that and probably have no real understanding of what is actually happening and the numbers involved. They are, to put it politely, pig ignorant.

I was talking to a friend recently (on the phone) who said to me 'I don't know anyone who has got it, do you?' He was taken aback and rather offended when I said I had lost a close friend, was aware of four others at one remove who had died and another half a dozen friends and acquaintances who had caught and suffered from the virus to a greater or lesser degree.

Lots of people think they will be swanning off on foreign holidays this summer. At the moment I just don't think it is going to happen.

Colin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2021, 06:44:06 pm »

HI Colin after talking to my travel agent earlier this week about my planned holiday to the U S A they do not think this will happen.  They think there will be many restrictions with this in mind we are planning to move this to 2022.

Stan. :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2021, 06:57:49 pm »

Stan,

Yes, I fear he is right. The situation in the USA is even worse than here. We had been hoping to revisit Greece this year after cancelling both holidays last year but things look a bit bleak really. Maybe we will make the Isle of Wight in the Autumn.

The trouble is that when you are getting on a bit, a couple of non holiday years is a big chunk of what you might have left.

At least Mrs B and I did most of our bucket list before Covid which is some consolation.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2021, 06:59:56 pm »

Andy
That is a nasty position to be in and I agree that it is difficult to know what to do. Keep well away from them sounds like a good idea.

Colin
The stupidity of people never fails to amaze me. Just because the R rate might be going down a bit is no reason to talk about reducing the lock down when the numbers infected are so high. If 100 people have it and the R rate is 1 you get 100 new patients but if the number infected is 4 million you get 4 million new patients.

Stan
Holidays. We have a moveable European river cruise booked for the end of April next year (2022). I don't see anything much before then & who knows which countries will want us & which will be safe enough to want to visit. We were in Wuhan just before the first cases made news so we are being careful.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2021, 07:05:04 pm »

Baldrik 
          Did you get also date for your second one by any chance

Or has anyone else who has just had their first?

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2021, 07:07:14 pm »

On the box I have noticed several (Tui for one) travel agents trying to get people to book for holidays on the slim chance they will be able to go.  After the struggle some holidaymakers had last year trying to get their refunds they will probably be flogging a deceased equus.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2021, 07:13:05 pm »

Baldrik 
          Did you get also date for your second one by any chance

Or has anyone else who has just had their first?

Yes 3 months on , the booking software automatically put it on the pro forma

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2021, 07:13:12 pm »

I am getting sent a couple of catalogues a day in the post. Today was Norwegian & Viking. + several emails. They are certainly trying to get money in all with promises about how you can change your booking if you need to do so.

RST

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2021, 07:16:05 pm »

More or less on R4 was interesting tonight.  I like this programme for making sense of statistics...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000rccm

I was in FVRH in Larbert 5x over xmas vacation with Mum and think I only saw a handful of people in the que compared to a 30m que before xmas.  In there again last week for MRI/CT scans  and again today for consultation and didn't see anyone in the vaccination area at all.  Makes me wonder if there's real truth in the news Scotland is lagging.

I'm starting to know more people who have tested positive these past 2 months, some had better times with it than others (they're all spread between UK, Ireland and France).  I'm 100% convinced I've had it now and suffer the "long" effects fairly reguarly -but never got tested becuase they weren't really testing back then.

I don't think I'm interested in holidays or socilising ever again (well, not for years), but I need to be able to travel for work otherwise I'm stuffed.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2021, 07:16:26 pm »

We had one last week from Trail Finders for the US & Canada !!!, Think it may be a while before we get back there again. :((

RST

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2021, 07:19:28 pm »

BTW:  Did anyone else notice the ISO standards committee declare 1m is now 250mm?  Think I missed it because every time I've been to the shops since last July, most people refuse to stay 500mm apart now (if that!).

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2021, 07:28:45 pm »

Saga cruises are advertising cruises from April but you can only go if you have had both jabs. Given that they are imposing a 12 week gap between doses ( which might well get longer), and it takes 3-4 weeks for them to be effective, it means that anyone going needs to have had the first jab weeks ago. That is a very small customer base to fill a cruise liner.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2021, 07:29:35 pm »

Thanks Baldrick reason for asking was people like myself who were done in December not had a date yet
Cheers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.