Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RADIO CONTROL SETS  (Read 1778 times)

narrowboater

• Full Mayhemer
RADIO CONTROL SETS
« on: May 03, 2021, 02:49:46 pm »

Could anyone recommend a good quality 8 or 9 channel radio set at a sensible price?
My needs are a bit specific so here I go:

Mode 2
8 or 9 channel
1 or 2 rotary controls
3 or 4 switches (On/Off - One could be a spring loaded on/off/on switch)
All knobs and switches can be assigned to a receiver channel. (Or at least 3 of them)
Both sticks to be spring loaded in both directions (or able to buy the parts to achieve this)

The Turnigy 9x I am currently using has lots of faults as you all probably know, the biggest for me is not being able to assign most of the numerous switches to whatever channel I choose. I am also not sure that the other problems I am encountering are not caused by this radio set.

There are dozens of radio sets out there and up to now I haven't found one which will do all the above, nor do I want to pay a fortune (up to £150.00 say). I would rather go with a personal recommendation.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

narrowboater

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RADIO CONTROL SETS
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 03:53:12 pm »

Possibly £150.00 is a bit optimistic so say up to £200.00

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 03:57:03 pm »

hi ya Narrowboater

One method you could use is - the old Futaba 8channel FP-T8UP transmitter.   This is a modular transmitter and you can purchase either 40 mghz modules to fit in the back - or 2.4 module from Futaba (costs an arm and a leg) or, do what I did and purchase a Corona module CT8F 2.4 GHz.  This transmitter has 3 rotary switches and numerous other switches - I have only had my transmitter for about 4 - 5 years - and I still haven't worked out all the switches and memories.    I purchased it from Ebay for about £50, it was about £30-£40 for the module.   Just a thought, it may help you out.

Here is a link to one on Ebay Futaba FF8 Field Force 8ch RC Model Flying Transmitter Set 35Mhz(module) FP-T8UP | eBay

Futaba Tx Module (No Xtal) 3P/3V FM40 Y-TZ40 4513886010200 | eBay

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 06:26:15 pm »

Taranis X9D Plus costs £158 and does everything you want and much more too.....  https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-taranis-x9d-plus-2019
Widely available from other retailers too.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 08:06:56 pm »

The Taranis Q X7 also fits your needs, 16 channels, 2 rotary and 6 switches and as it uses OpenTx as the operating system you can assign them to whatever you want. The joysticks come able to be all self centering or ratchet and can be adjusted how you want.
https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-taranis-q-x7-access-2.4ghz-transmitterTransmitter cost £97.20 , battery cost extra, 2 lithium ion cells at around £5 each. Receivers cost extra, 6 channels for £33 or £36 for 8.
https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-archer-gr6-access-receiverhttps://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-archer-gr8-access-receiverThe one thing to think about with the Taranis transmitters is they use OpenTx which needs all of the channels to be programmed before use, there is a PC program which allows you to do the programming and download it to the transmitter which makes setup simpler.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 01:11:36 pm »

I like tray radios for my boats, so I have been using Taranis X9E. 8-16 channels, 10 proportional controls available( including two sticks), both sticks convertible from spring center return to non spring ratcheting, 8 switches available for channels and/or mixing.Open TX programing and available in Mode 1 or 2.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 09:09:33 am »

Why can’t you assign channels with your Turnigy 9x? If the stock firmware is a bit restrictive, upgrade it with opentx. The transmitters recommended are decent units, but the one you have should be more than up to the job, and the price is right.

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 05:14:01 pm »

Have you researched Radio Link, the cheap one with 2 X Rx ?

T8FB the blue tooth one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.