Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pimp my Microcosm...  (Read 5233 times)

1967Brutus

• Full Mayhemer
  • I am in it for the learning!
Re: Pimp my Microcosm...
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2024, 03:37:38 pm »

In a dutch forum, when I reached 40 runhours, someone commented that the quality of this engine was apparently, based on my reporting, much better than expected. The subject of that thread is the question whether the "cheap chinese machines" are worth considering or not.
Suffice to say, any prejudice I had, is gone and they absolutely ARE worth considering.

Today, I have landed at 70 runhours, and re-reading that forum I stumbled upon that old post from back then.

This is the comment I posted today in that thread (ran it through Google Translate of course, duh...), because I simply wanted to share my thoughts here as well for those that have the same question I had (whether these engines are any good):

In the meantime I can report that I have almost 70 operating hours, and the machine is still running without any visible deterioration, no mechanical rattles, no obvious play or clearances, the Stephenson arches do not rattle (although I am quite precise with lubricating them),    the performance does not deteriorate, the steam consumption is quite constant, the behavior of the machine, for example when reversing under load or running extremely slowly, does not change.   The crossheads are still tight, both in the guideways and in the crosshead pins, and the piston rod seals have not yet shown any visible deterioration.     The seals of the control valve rods show some steam oil leakage, but that is actually a good thing, because that oil helps to lubricate the Stephenson arches.     Ditto for the piston rod seals: No steam leakage, and the oil that escapes helps keep the crossheads in condition. 

BUT ALSO: The gas tap on the gas tank, main steam valve, feed water valve, steam control valve, etc., not only still function flawlessly after all this time, they are also all still 100% tight on both the valve itself and at the spindle gland.   The functioning of these items is what keeps an installation safe to operate IMHO...
      The steam regulator does not close 100%, but it never did and cannot be expected from a stopcock of this construction.   It also does not have to: a minor leakage her assists in keeping the engine warm when stopped.

The parts in the installation that appeared to work less smoothly were the RC controlled burner regulating valve and the feed pump, and both were from Regner, not Microcosm... 
     They are also working well now, by the way. 

I am absolutely aware of the fact that the machine as delivered out of the box and used without further consideration with regard to lubrication and water quality will probably show significant deterioration within a few dozen of runhours. But I think that goes for most engines. 
    Virtually all engines come with simple oil cups on the bearings etc etc, which is nice for bench runs, but not for "active duty". IMHO, wickfeed oiling is the only way to go.
      The fact that this brass engine lasted 70 hours with all signs suggesting that it will last many hundreds of hours to come, that speaks volumes.

In short, the basis of the machine is 100% good, it is a "machine with potential", so to speak.   Install proper   lubrication (wick feed), and polish the running surfaces of the steam slides (the only thing I can really fault my engine for), keep an eye on your water quality, and the thing will work as well as any other machine.
If you do without observing, you won't learn a thing.
If you observe without doing, you'll never know if what you learned was true.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2024, 04:15:26 pm »

Post below fixed, Admin    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

1967Brutus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2024, 04:27:23 pm »

Post below fixed, Admin    :-))

Thanks Martin! I seem to very much NOT get along with the "editing programming" of this site. Happens quite often that I quote a post or try to edit a message and suddenly the entire format (sizes, fonts etc) have changed completely...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2024, 05:38:54 pm »

Computers ..... Just keep posting, I'll fix anything the Matrix breaks!   :}
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

1967Brutus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2024, 09:16:11 pm »

You da man!

1967Brutus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2024, 10:49:31 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJJe1eHWLmw

Select subtitles and set to auto translate to your language of choice to know what the hell I am babbling on about.

1967Brutus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2024, 03:19:22 pm »

While I'm at it, Borkum loses a lot of speed with the rudder hard-over, and does not turn very tight at rudder angles that do NOT rob speed. So I thought I would like to experiment with a Fishtail rudder while I'm at it. No particular reason, just to see what it does... :D

On this part (post from end of Februari) I can now finally, after about 90 minutes or so on open water, report that indeed a fishtail DOES make a difference.
I have the vague impression that the boat turns about the same with a reduced rudder angle, losing less speed, but those differences are small.

What is not small, is the differnce in "feel" of the boat. Steering is more defined and sensitive, while straight-run stability seems to have improved. Also at lower speeds. I have to say, I like that. For example, control during short kicks ahead seems to be a lot better.

Steering when backing up however has noticably deteriorated. That is a bit of a shame.

Bottom line is: a fishtail rudder DOES make a difference (bad or good is anyone's own to determine) which in all fairness, was not something I really expected.

1967Brutus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2024, 10:36:23 pm »

Yesterday (Sunday) a demo-day at a townsfair...
Unfortunately pretty big winds and some rain. but the boat not only handled the weather well for 2 hours in runs of 30 minutes, the organizer had 5 of those "Dicky tugs" availlable for the kids to have a go... Now these kids, well, bumpercars come to mind describing their boat handling skills...

Ravika Putri did not back away from the brawl, and stood her ground... :D

1967Brutus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2024, 07:36:10 pm »

The intended coolingwaterpump has arrived (about a week early, but I'm not complaining :D)

This pic for size (housing diameter vs thumb)

The brass tube is not part of the pump, just to be clear.

It is about 1/4th~1/3rd the size of the Volvo windshieldwiper pump I was using in the experiments.

As for performance: The Windshieldwiper pump would not run a lower voltage than 2S NiMH (under load maybe 2,3V), draw 900 mA when actually pumping (which is 2,1W of power absorption) and would deliver about 300 ml/min against the backpressure of the condenser coil.

The condenser NEEDS only 100 ml/min, but is not critical for a bit excess water.

This tiny thing runs well on 5V, and then draws 180 ml at open delivery, pumping about 1L/min, but against the backpressure of the condenser drops to about 200 ml/min and a currnt draw of about 170 mA. That's only 0,85W, and low enough for to allow direct power from the receiver busbar.

Now relocating the overboard discharge to above the waterline for visual confirmation of function (centrifugal pumps do not always self-prime), and installing the pump under the floorplate, and Ravika Putri will look again as if nothing happened...

1967Brutus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2024, 11:32:18 pm »

Pump glued in on a wooden spacer. Spacer holds 8 magnets 3 x 6 mm in a circular pattern.

Suction opening needs to be made flush with the hull.

The magnets in the pump base serve to hold a strainer over the suction opening in place. Strainer to be made of tin sheet and steel wire.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.