Model Boat Mayhem

Dry Dock / Shipyard: Builds & Questions => Working Vessels => Topic started by: Peter Fitness on December 13, 2007, 06:00:57 AM

Title: New Pusher Tug
Post by: Peter Fitness on December 13, 2007, 06:00:57 AM
Here are some photos of my attempt at a pusher tug. It is based on the tug designed by Glynn Guest called Jenny Sue 2, a free plan with the February 2004 Model Boats magazine. I had it enlarged to give a hull length of 71cm, and modified it using some details shown in photos posted on the Forum by bunkerbarge. It is not completed yet, although it had its maiden outing last weekend. I still need to add all the railings, but am having trouble obtaining the brass rod necessary for the job. I have also added further details since the photos were taken, and am continuing to do so. I built it mainly to act as a rescue vessel at our lake, and in fact, performed the first recovery on its first day, successfully I might add. It has 2 motors, and I originally fitted a rudder but subsequently removed it, as steering was excellent just using the motors. I will post some more photos when all the bits are in place.
Peter.
Title: Re: New Pusher Tug
Post by: Martin13 on December 13, 2007, 07:13:13 AM
Peter,

what size Brass rod do you need ???

Martin
Title: Re: New Pusher Tug
Post by: Big Ada on December 13, 2007, 05:51:37 PM
Hi Peter,
I also made that Tug, All Glyn Guests boats are great, I stipped out some electric cable and used the copper wire for the hand rails.

            O0  Len   O0
Title: Re: New Pusher Tug
Post by: Red_Hamish on December 13, 2007, 09:14:07 PM
Hi Peter, nice looking boat. I built one a couple of years back from this same plan and have used it on many outings over the pastcouple of seasons. I found that it was a little top heavy entirely my fault for building the superstructure too high and with plexiglass then covering with ply. The intention was to have interior lighting and all the running lights too. The problem was the decks were then awash and very susceptible to ANY wind. In the end the simple addition of a sheet of 20mm polystyrene to lift the buoyancy issue. This in turn lifted the props out of the water , a simple solution was add more ballast at the rear compartment. Next solution build a barge and almost always use this when on the pond. After all is said and done it is still my favourite to have out on the water as it can potter around for 6 hours on a single SLA and a set of dry batteries for the Rx.

Enjoy the experience of this style of tug. I'll get some photoslooked out and resized soon

cheers

Jim
Title: Re: New Pusher Tug
Post by: Peter Fitness on December 13, 2007, 09:43:45 PM
Jim, I haven't found my boat top heavy, mainly because the hull is very solid. The sides, bow, transom and cross members are all 12mm pine, and the bottom is 6mm plywood. I told the boys in our club if it was no good as a boat we could use it as a step :) The superstructure is 1.5mm ply, and the battery is a 6v 10ah SLA. The motors are 550s with built in fans, and the 2 speed controllers are Mtroniks Viper 15s with a BEC, so I don't use Rx batteries. It floats right on the waterline, and wind did not seem to affect it - perhaps the fact it is bigger than the plan helps in that regard.

Martin, I need 1/16" brass rod and will get some on my next visit to Lismore. I ran out at the crucial time, and our local hobby supplier did not have any. I have many other sizes in my stock collection, but no 1/16".

Peter.