Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with old paint job?  (Read 2571 times)

Paul-E

What to do with old paint job?
« on: April 12, 2008, 02:53:55 pm »

I have begun stripping down Maggie M & in preperation would like some advice as to what members would suggest as the best way of dealing with paintwork on glass fibre hull. I want to get a good key for priming (eventually  {-) ), but the paintwork already on her is a little rough in places so needs to be smoothed out so it doesn't show through. I have read that I should use wet and dry but will this leave me with a good key for primer...I thought wet and dry leaves smooth surface?

Also the small styrene parts and cast metal fittings that will be removed. How should I remove paint ready for priming, some seem way too small and intrecate to be able to rub down, is there something out there available to remove paint without causing damage?

Thankyou,
Paul.

barryfoote

Re: What to do with old paint job?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 04:26:25 pm »

Hi Paul,

Stavros is your man for anything paint related. What he says goes.....Send him a PM. he is always happy to help.

Barry

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 05:55:53 pm »

Apparently Brake Fluid is good for cleaning paint off styrene parts, but I am not sure Stavros would approve {-)

Barrie

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 07:24:59 pm »

I have begun stripping down Maggie M & in preperation would like some advice as to what members would suggest as the best way of dealing with paintwork on glass fibre hull. I want to get a good key for priming (eventually  {-) ), but the paintwork already on her is a little rough in places so needs to be smoothed out so it doesn't show through. I have read that I should use wet and dry but will this leave me with a good key for primer...I thought wet and dry leaves smooth surface?

Also the small styrene parts and cast metal fittings that will be removed. How should I remove paint ready for priming, some seem way too small and intrecate to be able to rub down, is there something out there available to remove paint without causing damage?

Thankyou,
Paul.

smooth to the touch, however I think that after treatment with w&d it may have a microscopic structure when viewed under a micriscope will look like a golf ball surface.   its this that acts as the key
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 01:04:46 am »

Thankyou,
Paul.

TBH I wouldnt sand the paint work down too much. If the paint is a little 'rough' you have the ideal starting point for having that true to life weathered look about the boat. Sure, I'd flatten the paint a little but I wouldnt try and get a smooth finish on her.

I'd say removing the cast metal parts would depend on whether they've been stuck down with cyano or plastic cement. If cyano'd, Id say they'd be very difficult to remove. If plastic cement was used they may come away quite easily but even then I'd be surprised. May be a sharp stanley knife blade under an edge of the fitting and gently working around it to lift it off the plasticard? There is bound to be some damage to the deck or whatever the fitting was fixed to but this can be filled with modelling plastic filler.

HTH.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 01:17:28 am »

I have a grp hull where the paint was removed by Mr Muscle.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 08:04:09 am »

Wilkinsons paint and varnish stripper worked OK for me on Glass fibre BUT made a mess of styrene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.