Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting Die cut ply  (Read 2866 times)

inverclyde-ted

Cutting Die cut ply
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:44:42 pm »

Hello

As a total beginner, and just started my first build I am already seeking help. My model has several sheets of die cut 1.5mm ply partially cut which will form pieces like deck, combings, bulwark caps etc. Perhaps wrongly I assumed an easy way to cut out these parts would be to use a small but sturdy modeling scalpel as some of the parts have curves. After about n hour and only about 3 inches cut out of the deck section I am wondering if I am wrong and there is another way of doing this.
Has anyone any suggestions
Cheers
Jim

banjo

Re: Cutting Die cut ply
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 02:53:54 pm »

:)

If you tell us which kit you are building it will help folk help you...

Fear not..there will be someone who knows...

O0

inverclyde-ted

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:31:29 pm »

Sorry, Its a Caldercraft "Cumbrae" Pilot Cutter, I don't want to screw it up right from the start

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:46:14 pm »

Normaly die cut balsa/ply is cut to just leave a tiny bit at the back, sand the rear of the part sheets and it should release them (if its fully die cut)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 06:59:04 pm »

You may be better off with a heavier blade such as Stanley Knife. If you use a sharp new blade carefully it should do the job as you can put more pressure on it.

Colin

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 01:08:26 pm »

Normaly die cut balsa/ply is cut to just leave a tiny bit at the back, sand the rear of the part sheets and it should release them (if its fully die cut)

The die cutting on my Caldercraft Northlight is only through the top skin - I use a Stanley knife or craft knife with ACM 11 blades - these are stronger than scalpel blades.

Barrie

inverclyde-ted

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 06:42:36 pm »

Guys
I really do appreciate your help, but I am still not getting it, I have tried a heavier blade, still not getting the cut right through, should I be laying it straight on a cutting mat, or once part way through lifting it to flex the cut, risking a finger in the process. Sorry to be so thick, but I really am toilling
Jim

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 08:13:21 pm »

You shouldn't really be lifting the edge whilst cutting. A dodgey thing at the best of times.

I always use a Stanley knife with a new blade. The technique is to hold it more upright and use the point to lightly run down the line. This can done many times and eventually the cut will break through with no force at all. It doesn't matter whether it's a straight or curved line.

I did make the mistake of placing my thumb over the ruler once when drawing the blade downwards and I never felt the blade slicing off a piece of skin, as it was so sharp.  :embarrassed:

I can only assume you are expecting a quicker cut through than you are actually getting. Try on a spare piece of scrap and see how many cuts you might require to go through.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 08:19:08 pm »

Ken is quite right. Little and often does the job. You can rarely get through the thickness in one pass but each cut takes the blade just that bit deeper until it just comes apart in your hands. (should I have said that?)

ALWAYS cut away from yourself as otherwise the blade will exact a blood sacrifice! We've ALL been there.

Colin

inverclyde-ted

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 07:50:48 pm »

Thanks Guys for all your advice, it is I think a case of expecting too much too soon. I have been slowly working on the die cut ply today, and am getting there, only one question left, at this stage.
Is it better to cut the smaller pieces from the sheet first, intuition tells me that this is the case.
I am going to join Largs MBC in the very near future so hopefully silly questions like this, from me will be reduced in the future
Yours aye
Jim

Roger in France

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 06:32:05 am »

Jim,

The only silly question is the one you have but are afraid to ask...... Ask on.

There is a significant advantage in asking questions in the Forum as the answers inform other Members as well as yourself.

Roger in France.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 09:00:31 am »

Jim,
For these parts I do it somewhat differently.
I cut outside the scribed lines with a fine toothed razor saw and sand back to the lines.
One thing to check before cutting though is to ensure the parts are the correct size.
I usually make a paper template and check the fit first.
Some hulls can distort slightly with age and the template allows me to leave small excesses on the part, then sand to shape.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 09:34:17 am »

I have found that some ply is tougher than others :(. I had two sheets of die cut in Northlight, one cut easily, the other was a real problem.

To cut out the window/door openings from the 'tough' sheet, I chain drilled with a fine, <1mm, bit on the waste side of the line, then sanded back.

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.