Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The gas man cometh  (Read 6476 times)

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The gas man cometh
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 08:57:27 pm »

Hi Graham,

Yes I know what you mean about the gas meter box, they can look awful on the out side of a period house.

However you will notice on all new builds the meters for both electric & gas are always external some are not very noticeable because they are semi underground in a brown box a far less intrusive solution.

This has two main effects (1) the meter reader can do his job without disturbing the house owner. (2) It limits the right of access into your home by the relevant authorities i.e. the gas emergency service.

The meter always remains the property of the gas supplier and therefore if there is a problem they along with a member of Her Majesties Constabulary can if necessary force access to said meter. Having an external meter denies them this right of access.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 03:23:42 pm »

Hi Colin H
If all goes well I am hoping to move to an older (100 years) property soon, this already has one of those awful boxes on the outside, what I would like to know is can the property owner diguise these by painting or hide them behind some sort of bushes providing we do not block access to the box?
Alan

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 03:40:44 pm »

Alan,

The simple answer is yes.

As you have all ready remarked you must in no way block immediate access to the box or use any securing device except that which is already fitted. The box contains your emergency control valve and free access to this must be maintained.

If you intend to paint do not paint over any notices on or in the box as this would contravene gas regulations.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 04:39:12 pm »

Cheers for that Colin H, just what I wanted to here
Alan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.