Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 2933 times)

Bustergrunt

Where to start?
« on: April 12, 2008, 07:48:05 pm »

Hello all,
I have, after many years of flying planes been bitten by the bug for model boats. I've flown off the water before but this would be a new departure for me...looking forwards to getting help and scouring the forum for advice O0

Bustergrunt

Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:51:44 pm »

and another of mine

I dunno where this urge came from, but if it's anything like planes, it's gonna get expensive ::)

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 07:52:56 pm »

Welcome aboard
                       I have found the forum very useful myself and also try to offer advice if I can. The first thing to do in my opinion is to find a good local club, the members will help you with local contacts.
Alan

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 07:57:15 pm »

I have not found it to expensive, I did go to the flying field with my Uncle a few years ago and a guy launch his brand new plane into the air, great for a few seconds, then into a load of barrel rolls and into the biggest tree around. Poor guy pick up the pieces took the engine, radio and fuel cell away and set fire to the rest.
Alan

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 08:03:48 pm »

Welcome to the forum Buster,

Have a look around and ask away, remember the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Brian

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 09:50:54 pm »

Welcome Buster the time to start worrying is when you need to get a bigger car. ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

OMK

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 10:33:30 pm »

Hey, Buster, I'm looking at the airframe in your first photo. Is it from the ARC camp? The wing / stabiliser / etc, looks remarkably similar to the Ready2.

OMK

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 10:43:11 pm »

Oops! Scrap that last question. A second glance shows the name 'Jupiter' there. Also the ARC decal on the fin.
How do you get on with these ABS planes?
Mine is still waiting for her maiden.

Bustergrunt

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 11:19:00 am »

I think they're fantastic! This weekend I'm flying off the water at Kielder with another ARC plane. This time it's a cessna. I'll see if I can find a picture.

OMK

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 01:49:30 pm »

Would appreciate the Cessna photo - thanks.
Anyhow, just out of curiosity, would your Kielder be the same Kielder as in Northumberland?
Do you have Google Earth installed? From there I can see Kielder castle, and even what appears to be a maze. After that the resolution gets a wee grainy, so it's difficult to see where you fly from. I can just about make out some sort of viaduct, but apart from that, no other water in sight.

Apologies for hijacking your own thread, but can I ask you a question regarding those floats on your Jupiter?

<Edit>

Oh, geez - am I having a bad-hair day.
I've just realised... All that blackness I'm seeing on Google Earth is the water.
Double oops!

Sure looks nice up there in your part of the world.

Bustergrunt

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 10:19:08 pm »

Here's the Cessna

On 19th and 20th of this month we'll be at a place called mathews lynn at Kielderfor probably our last meeting. it's about 3/4 along the reservaoir towards the west on the south bank.

As regards the floats for the Jupietr ask away, however i did a conversion to waterplane guide here...

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,38900.0.html

OMK

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 09:13:52 pm »

Thanks for the URL.
Looking at your photo #1 again, it looks like the float rudder is operated by a pull-pull system. How does that work? Is it somehow tied to the main rudder servo, or does it use a seperate servo?
Putting any water ingress issues aside for a moment, can the servo be fixed to the float itself?

Why will the 19th and 20th be the last meeting?

Bustergrunt

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 10:42:51 pm »

I would keep the servo away from water if poss and inside the fuselage, although a 'dod' of vaseline and a quick melt with a lighter on the splines will prevent any mild water ingress. The water rudder is attached via a pul/pull system to the same servo as the normal rudder and it works fine.

Probably the last meeting becaus ethe people who own the jetty are not over keen on us being their I believe, because it then means they can't use it for their own ends...fair enough i suppose. We'll just have to find an alternative place, although kielder is a smashing venue

OMK

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 12:04:17 am »

Alternative place sounds the best route. According to the images on G' Earth, looks like you're spoilt for choice.

What I meant to ask is, if the water rudder and main rudder are attached to the same servo, then how is it done? Does the main rudder linkages go directly to the servo, or is one leg diverted to the water rudder first? Or are both rudders connected seperately?.... What?... How?
Can I be a pain in the gregory and ask if you could put up a picture of how it's all connected?

In your opinion, if Ready2 is fitted with floats, would a pond measuring approx' 100 metres be long enough for landing? The one round our way is surrounded by trees, roughly sixty or seventy feet high.

Bustergrunt

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 09:17:45 am »

There's plenty other sites which require investigating... O0

i don't have the Jupiter any more to take a picture of the setup.
however the ready 2 and the Cessna are configured the same. i.e. the pull/pull wire go directly to the rudder 9normal) and there are a second set of wires which go to the water rudder and are connected to the same servo. you just have to be carefull to ensure that when you push the stick to the left or right the rudder go in the same direction (been there, done that ::)
As regards you site, it sounds a bit tight for my tastes :o

I'll see if I can whip up a photo for you O0

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 08:58:42 pm »

Good job it's just models Buster.
I met an old friend at a surprise 40th last Friday and I enquired as to how things were at work. He was airframe technician employed by the MODwhen we last saw each other around 10years ago.
 Turns out he's now working on plumbing for nuclear subs again as a contractor for MOD.
"This would be fine" pointed out a mutual friend "but it's a lot more dangerous to bail out of a sub than a plane!!". No reflection on his work I'm sure just a little quick wit.
Welcome aboard Sir. I hope you find this little site both helpful and entertaining.
Mogs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.