Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can you remove tough varnish from guitars?  (Read 8498 times)

OMK

Re: How can you remove tough varnish from guitars?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 07:00:26 am »

Davefella, if ever you find yourself on these shores, whatever you do, make sure not to order lager. Some clown over here took it in his head that we Brits should be drinking it as cold as you blokes like it. Sure, fine when it's HOT, but Britain doesn't do hot. It's always cold here and the pubs these days just cannot grasp the concept of cold weather versus room-temperature booze. You being an Aussie, you'll love that sub-zero-degrees lager of ours, but stay here long enough and you'll soon be pining for something less spooky.
That's where the apple juice comes in. Most pubs are adamant that cider should be served chilled. But the proper Somersetonian cider is miles better. I'll show you if ever you're here. And it won't freeze your nuts off, neither.

Like you, I'm predominantly a Gibson nut. The SG has always been - always will be - one of the best guitars ever (Angus is testimony to that fact). The '73 Les Paul goldtop is also up there. The thing I like most about Gibsons' is that they always sound 'Weeeee!", whereas Fenders' always sound "Clunk!".
Some days though, dude, I love that clunky sound - even better without all that polyester.

You mentioned some photos about your Marauder.
Your shout, bro'.

OMK

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 07:26:46 am »

Paint striper can effect the hardness of wood it can effect the cellulose in the make up of the timber...

Is that so? Now that is interesting. Until now I've always associated cellulose with paint. I didn't realise cellulose had anything to do with timber.
Here's the deal... you teach me all you know about timber on a molecular/cellulose-based level, and in return I'll teach you that paint striper should be spelt with two 'P's
Aw, seriously, thanks for your input, amigo. You are saying something of value here, only I'm too dense to understand what you're saying.
How do you get cellulose in wood?

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 07:53:29 am »

bigfella

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 08:14:09 am »

PMK

As tomorrow is ANZAC Day her in Australia and as such a public holiday I will get the Marauder and the SG and take some pics of them and post them. I can sympathise with the coldness of some drinks, I mean if the outside temp is heading towards freezing you don't want a drink colder than that. But here in Oz 40degC outside and anything cooler than that is a god send.

Regards David

OMK

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 08:36:14 am »

Mate, you're gonna have to wise me up. What is ANZAC Day?

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 08:40:33 am »

This may give you an idea, if you degrade the cellulose content of the wood you alter the density which will effect sound.

Peter

http://www.ipst.gatech.edu/faculty_new/faculty_bios/ragauskas/technical_reviews/Chemical%20Overview%20of%20Wood.pdf

Roger in France

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 09:34:18 am »

Wood is cellulose, that is the structural nature of woody plants including grasses.

Roger in France.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 10:12:15 am »

No its not, it's only approximately  50% of wood .

Peter

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough

bigfella

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 10:47:12 am »

Mate, you're gonna have to wise me up. What is ANZAC Day?
Hi PMK

ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps and is the day we Aussies and New Zealanders remember our fallen service men and those that have fought in wars. It is the most important day on the Australian callender. My wife and I are going to a Dawn Service, at the local cenotaph, which commerates the landing at Gallipoli, which was the first baptism of fire for a new nation Australia that was only 13 years old at the time.

Regards David

Roger in France

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 04:52:28 pm »

Yes, of course I was writing loosely when I said "...wood is cellulose....". You were quite entitled to assume I was saying it was 100% cellulose. I was attempting to emphasise that wood has cellulose as an intrinsic part of its makeup and not as an addition or option.

Roger in France.

OMK

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 06:13:37 pm »

This may give you an idea, if you degrade the cellulose content of the wood you alter the density which will effect sound.

Peter

http://www.ipst.gatech.edu/faculty_new/faculty_bios/ragauskas/technical_reviews/Chemical%20Overview%20of%20Wood.pdf

Well I'll go to sea!
Thanks a million for that absolutely fascinating piece (how on earth did you find THAT?!). Excellent stuff.
Like I said, I associated cellulose with paints only. Thanks again for wising me up.

OMK

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 06:21:44 pm »

Bigfella:
Thanks to you, too, for the heads-up on the ANZAC thing.
I guess I should have known already because I have a few ancestors/relations down your way - and a few more in Kiwi land. Oddly enough, not one of them has ever told me about ANZAC day.
Shame'r!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.