Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone know how I can buy a goat?  (Read 5452 times)

RipSlider

Does anyone know how I can buy a goat?
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:45:22 pm »

This is a serious question, and not in any way to be used to make lewd jokes with  >>:-( >>:-(

Mrs Steve has commanded that we must have a goat. This is actually a fairly sensible idea, but I am at a loss to know how to go about purchasing one, as it's not like they sell them at Tesco....

So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyon know where I can buy a goat from? What type of shops sell goats?
2) Does it involve lots of paperwork? I know that cows and sheep need loads of paperwork but hoping goats don't
3) Anyone have any idea how much an average goat costs?
4) As I'm in Poland at the moment, does anyone know if you can buy a goat and have it delivered to your house?

5) If no one knows about goats, does anyone have *any* idea where I can go to find out more about the purchase of one? Not a lot comes up on google to be honest..

My tip for the day is: When in Poland, never ask your translators father what it was like in WWII, as they get really stressed, shout a lot, and then start to cry. I have *never* wanted to be swallowed up by the earth more in my entire life...

Steve

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Does anyone know how I can buy a goat?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 12:53:23 pm »

There are 'Goat Societies' - national bodies that would be able to help. Put 'goat society' into Google and you will get load of possibilities. Not sure what will happen if you do this from Poland, but you could always add 'UK' on the end of the query ;).

Barrie

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 01:07:31 pm »

http://pet-rescue.org.uk/forums/index.php?autocom=links&CODE=04&name=goats

this is a good link - to try.

Or this one with you being in Poland  -  they may be able to help you.

http://www.nri.org/projects/InTheField/poland_farming.htm

or   http://www.goatworld.com/

John

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin13

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 01:32:38 pm »

This is a serious question, and not in any way to be used to make lewd jokes with  >>:-( >>:-(

Mrs Steve has commanded that we must have a goat. This is actually a fairly sensible idea, but I am at a loss to know how to go about purchasing one, as it's not like they sell them at Tesco....

Steve

Since when are you serious ;D ;D ;D

Don't get a goat O0 If you do, expect never to have a garden again. These beasts eat everything and I do mean everything that is not bolted down. If they can reach it - they will eat it.

Do the paperwork and get a sheep instead - at least you will still have a garden ;) ;) ;)

Martin doon under

RipSlider

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 01:35:02 pm »

hmmm.....

Not too sure I want "goat world" coming up on the access logs - I'm on a company computer and I think it might raise a few eye brows in the IT department....

Thanks for the responses so far. I will have a look at the links.

Steve

RipSlider

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

Steve

Since when are you serious ;D ;D ;D

Don't get a goat O0 If you do, expect never to have a garden again. These beasts eat everything and I do mean everything that is not bolted down. If they can reach it - they will eat it.

Do the paperwork and get a sheep instead - at least you will still have a garden ;) ;) ;)

Martin doon under

I've just brought 1/2 a field of the farmer who has fields behind our back garden hedge with a view on having a great big back garden (which immiedately allows me to have a great big pond as well - not thick me  {-) {-)). The cunning plan is that we are going to let much of the garden go fairly wild so as to encourage more wildlife into the garden ( possibly brought on by Mrs Steve feeling guilty as our New cat ( called Cat 3 ) has just started to go out and it turns out that he's AWESOME at killing small animals ... )

I talked to a couple of chaps from Sparsholt college ( top agriculture/farming/enviromental college in europe ) about the best way to turn farm land back into wild ground ( which I thought would be really easy but actually isn't  :( :( :( ), and they suggested the goat idea. the thinking being that it focuses on on area at a time, and it keeps all the plants on their toes - or something like that.

Can't do doing with sheep. They look at you in a funny way - have no desire to be slumming around the house just wearing my pants on a sunday morning and suddenly find a sheep staring at me through the window. It would put me totally off my ready-brek. Sheep are only slightly less worrying to have to confront than clowns in my opinion.

However, as an Ozzy, i can see why you'd be a fan. We hear rumours of foul deeds carried by lonely ozzys all the way over here....

Steve

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 08:00:12 pm »

Goats will eat ANYTHING, probably including your boats.  :o

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer

Martin13

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:13:27 am »

[/quote]

However, as an Ozzy, i can see why you'd be a fan. We hear rumours of foul deeds carried by lonely ozzys all the way over here....

Steve

[/quote]

I think you are confusing us with New Zealanders and a pair of Wellington's

With a sheep, once its usefulness has been outlived, it can be converted to objects in the freezer :angel:
Can't beat a good lamb roast.

Martin doon under

kit1947

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 10:45:50 am »

Steve

[/quote]

With a sheep, once its usefulness has been outlived, it can be converted to objects in the freezer :angel:

Martin doon under

[/quote]

Scuse me !!! What would an Aussie from Malta know about New Zealanders  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Martin13

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 11:08:48 am »

Steve

Martin doon under

[/quote]

Scuse me !!! What would an Aussie from Malta know about New Zealanders  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
[/quote]

Been an Oz for an awfully long time - besides us Oz and NZ's like to take the micky out of each other ::) ::) ::)

Martin doon under

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 11:48:38 am »

besides us Oz and NZ's like to take the micky out of each other

Now, now, let's leave the Irish out of this.....

inverclyde-ted

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 12:19:59 pm »

Have you tried your local Masonic lodge, mine is always looking for somewhere to farm it out between meetings  {-)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 02:21:12 pm »

I don't know about buying a goat but my mate married one............... {-) {-) {-)

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 07:18:19 pm »

Dear Steve,

Goats are indeed excellent for scrub clearance and will eat damn near anything... however... it is advisable to put 10 foot walls around and a roof over the field you keep it in as they do like to go walk-about if they can!!!

As to getting one, go into the country, find a farm, and ask! Probably get one for £10 or so in Poland I would imagine.

Regards, Bernard

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 02:24:54 pm »

Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 02:48:02 pm »

This might be of interest  :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7358082.stm

They will even throw in the wet suit and flippers.

How times have changed. In the not to distant past they would have been off to the knackers yard, or off to the Ghurka kitchens.
Goat is extremely tasty BTW. A bit like lamb but not greasy.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Roger in France

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 04:04:31 pm »

Ah, goat stew!

Take one beautiful Caribbean evening; a long moonlit golden sand beach; a friendly local (our son) who disappears into the dark and returns with a large cauldron of goat stew; add some great local rum; a few folk for good company and nothing could taste so simple yet so good.

Roger in France.

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 11:06:30 am »

Don't know if you solved problem  how about one of these will eat the grass and retrieve you boat with a bit of training

Roger in France

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 01:22:33 pm »

Ah, a sea-horse!

Bet the RSPCA have nocked on your door already! Don't try to explain the joys of photo editing to them, just go quietly!

Roger in France.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 07:15:58 pm »

An Aqua-Pony!!!!!! {-) - or Scuba-Pony!!!!!

Mcat, what breed is he/she? Not Section A Welsh I don't think, but might be Dartmoor or New Forest - we will have to start a new Topic - Name that Pony!!!!!!!!!!!! {-) ::)

Excellent p.graph - I know that expression... I will put up with this if I have to only for as long as he is looking!

Regards, Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.