Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a boiler  (Read 6641 times)

Capricorn

Building a boiler
« on: April 18, 2008, 01:25:58 am »

Curious to see any info and experience building a model boat boiler.  I looked some but didn't find much, it appears most purchase them. 

I put together the small midwest boiler, it was fairly simple, soldered and whatnot.  I'm interested in seeing some larger "real" ones.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Building a boiler
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 02:10:48 am »

Are we talking about a boiler to run two steam turbines, If so its a different ball game to a soft soldered mid west , The size is going to be out side the size that is exempt from  a test certificate  . so the copper has to be of a certain type and hard soldered with a test certificate. the amount of heat required to maintain two turbines will need a boiler that works well. if you have not built one of this type a bit of research is req as to how big a boiler your boat will support weight size waist heat amount of air req to support the burner etc so start with the turbine req for steam. if you have access to the right equipment and take it step at a time . a lot of people tend to go for a commercial boiler these days and keep them below the size for testing, but I don't think it will be an option in your case

Peter

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:25:44 am »

Hi Capricorn
A good fast steaming boiler would be of the semi-flash type. You would need a water pump (with by pass valve) but the scott type would certainly give you enough steam, providing you have a good burner (most important). The photo shows one of mine (nude as it were, before cladding and fittings). All joints are silver soldered, but with care you should not have any problems (large blow torch helps) The boiler is around 8 inches long and 2 inches in dia. A boiler like this moves my 4 ft boat(running trim weight 15 lbs) around at about 17mph (on a single cyliner slide valve engine) If you would like any more info, I would be please to try and help
Phil

Steamed up all the time

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 11:53:19 pm »

You could try to find a copy of "Model Boilers and boilermaking" by K N Harris - pub. MAP ISBN 0 85242 377 2.

Mine was printed 1974 (fifth impression) but I don't know if it's still around.

Capricorn

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 04:19:10 am »

Well thanks everyone, I didn't expect to hear so much, that's great.

Yes Peter it would be for the turbines, and I don't know how much steam it's going to need.  I don't know about test certificates over here in the US, they may be required, but I think I'd be wise to have it tested anyway, don't want to get hurt, it's getting to the size where it could do some real damage.  I realize there's a big difference here from the little midwest boiler, much research to do.  When you say hard solder are you referring to what we call brazing here? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazing).  I was actually wondering if regular solder was used, it seems to me it might melt under certain circumstances.  (Does the testing include heat as well as pressure?)

Phil, that's encouraging to hear, and the boiler looks great!  O0   I think you mentioned the semi-flash boiler before, I like the idea of it as long as it doesn't get too difficult for me to build.  Regular silver solder would be ideal, I assume it doesn't melt in this case, does the flame come anywhere near the soldered joints themselves?  The boat I'm building is 10'-6" long and the weight I'm not certain but could be up around 150 lbs.  And thanks much for the offer of help, I will count on your assistance.  I'm am interested in learning more about your boiler(s).

tobyker, I think I've seen that referenced before I will look for it.  Does it cover larger boilers like Peter describes.

I have available two compartments, they could be combined to one, and there are two stacks.  I woud like to keep the opening in the deck to the with of the deck house, about 6 to 7", but if I have to I can make the opening wider.  So I could drop in two boilers measuring about 6" x 10" in plan, or one that is 6" x 21" or so.  The height is limited too of course.  The actual  overall space is 11" wide x 35" long x 6 1/2" high, except in the center there is more head room. 

I pondered using one large copper pipe, probably 4" diameter x 20" long, that's about 3.4 gallons overall.  That would be quite heavy, maybe 50 lbs, but I think that weight could be supported.  I also pondered three 2 1/2" diameter copper pipes 20" long in a triagular configuration (obviously) with a bit of space between them for the heat to pass through, all inside a 6 or 7" diameter stove pipe, that is only about 1.3 gallons, but the heat would probably get better use with twice the surface area.

Anyway, I thank you all for responding and look forward to hearing more.  Thanks Cap (Joe)

Capricorn

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 04:46:14 am »

What would be considered the absolute minimum penetrations in the boiler tank?  I know it needs the steam outlet and the pressure relief (safety valve) outlet.

I assume the water could be put in and drained through those outlets if desired.  Are there other openings that would be required?

It may need feeder water, but it sure would be nice to avoid that if possible, would need water level reader of some sort, high pressure pump etc.

Are floats used much for water level indicators?  I thought of using a float with a vertical rod attached to it, with a magnet on the end, totally enclosed in the boiler, but extending up into a small pipe vertically, outside the pipe would be a reed switch, when the water level is low the magnet would affect the reed switch.  The usaul glitches I'm sure, it might tend to get stuck, it will bounce a lot when the water is low.  Anyway it's a thought.  Cap

MONAHAN STEAM MODELS

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 07:01:31 am »

If you have a general design you are thinking of building, I can take a look at it for you to see if everything looks safe if you like?

Regards

Nick

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 08:56:36 am »

Hi there Capricorn,

I have been reading your postings with great interest; and, I just wondered - have you in your library of modelling books the book entitled 'Model Boilers and Boilermaking - by K.N. HARRIS' it is published by MAP Technical Publication, and, the ISBN Number for this book is 0852423772 - according to my book - which I purchased way back in 1977  :)  - although it is an 'oldish' book all of the information in it is relevant for today's standards of Boilermaking.

It is bursting with very useful information; and, I have included a couple of pages from inside the book - to let you see what is actually inside - just in case you do not have this book.

Also, I am unsure if this book is still in print - but, you may find it on Amazon or on EBay - just be cautious if you purchase from EBay mind, I have just purchased a modelling book from EBay only to find on receiving it there were about 16 pages missing from the centre!  Very annoying!

Nevertheless, keep on posting with this topic of yours - and let us see how you get on with your build of the boiler.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 12:55:32 pm »

I have been so busy catching up on my backlog, I have missed all this.

I think, looking at the consumption of the prototype, a water tube boiler won't have the capacity to keep a pair of these turbines running.
They are real greedy beasts, to such an extent my compressor couldn't keep up with just the prototype. In fact the compressor gave up in the end, just trying to keep it going, and is now junk.

So really, the only feasible boiler would be a rather large flash one. Whether that could be contained in such a small confined area and still run efficiently is open to debate. They are normally out in the open air, gulping as much oxygen as they can get.

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 01:18:43 pm »

Could fans be fitted to force feed air into the hull? Or perhaps feed air into the forward end of the 'engine room' and  drive out exhaust air abaft.

I was thinking along the lines of a couple or more of electirc computer cooling fans. These are very quiet.
 Unless you wanted to belt drive mechanical fans from the steam plant.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 03:04:46 pm »

Hi there all

One should take heed of one's own sayings:

read the first post before you add your post   :D  I am sorry tobyker   :embarrassed:  I didnt see your posting referring to the same good book we both have  O0

thoughts - you have me thinking flash steam boilers; there are several of these in the Club which I belong to - however, they are not running tubines they are only running side valve steam engines and they belong to a guy by the name of Bob Kirtley which some of you may already know from the steam hydroplane/straight running competitions; and, somewhere in the depths of my memory - I am sure Bob built or was proposing to build a steam turbine and I am sure one of the major drawbacks he encountered was the actual consumption of the steam...

I am sure his answer to this was 'A twinned coiled flash steam boiler - in other words one coil inside the other coil with a superheating element running through the centre'.   Also, there was to be a double feed pump to help keep up with the steam demand.  This was, I believe, going to be geared to the turbine.

I am unsure as to whether Bob actually built the turbine or indeed completed it; the next time I see him I will check this out with him.   

After reading Bogstandard's last posting - this is what triggered me into thinking - about the steam consumption.   Because, if he was draining and has wrecked an air compressor through trying to supply a terbine, then, one has to seriously think about the size of the boiler one is going to have to drive the steam turbine.   Thinking the average compressor has a fairly large air reservoir in which to hold the air, which is obviously going to be a lot bigger than a flash boiler.

Question for Bogstandard - what PSI were you running your turbine at?

aye
john e
bluebird

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 05:15:40 pm »

About 5cfm, 24 litre air receiver, trying to run on 40psi,  just couldn't keep up with the consumption of the turbine.

Until I get a new compressor, I won't have any definite figures because the compressor might have been on its way out before I started.

If it was right, it would have to be a rather large boiler to try to give that sort of capacity.

John

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 08:59:17 pm »

hi there all

I have just been speaking to Bob Kirtley tonight on the phone; to shake a few cobwebs loose at this end of the phone ;-)  he informed me that it was a gentleman called James Berwick who built the steam turbine as an experiment that I was referring too (in my last posting). As far as we can both recall, we do not think that the steam turbine ran in any model that he built.   

Bob was saying though he also built (up to now) 3 steam turbines and he is on with his 4th build of a turbine at the moment.

Bob feels that the most successful turbine that he has built to date was a single rota of a 4 inch diameter across the blade tips; he did not inform me of how many blades the most successful one had; but, are you waiting for it......

it ran on 150 PSI super heated steam; at 3200 rpm.  The boiler itself was a figure of 8 configuration with twin burners - one down each '0' opening of the 8 -I think Bob said that the boiler was roughly 12 inches long but he did not tell me how many loops or figure 8's were in this length.

The feed pump was geared down twice - meaning; the actual turbine was geared down once - and the gearing for the feedpump was geared down from the gearing of the turbine.  The firing of the boiler, I believe was of the old twin blow lamp type; not the modern gas type -

Bob also mentioned a gentleman on a website called 'ON THE WIRE' - (at this moment I have not found this website - but we can all Google it :-) - )   the gentleman runs a steam turbine hydroplane which has achieved 40 mph.

I hope this is of some help, I am off to Google for the site right now :-)

aye
john e
bluebird

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 11:25:00 pm »

Also in my library (have you got it too, Bluebird?) "Experimental Flash Steam" by Benson and Rayman, pub MAP 1973 (first edition!) ISBN 0 85242  352 7, AND
"Model Steam turbines" a reprint by Argus Books of the 1930s Percival Marshall Model Engineer series, No 23, ISBN 0 85242 600 3. Has lots of formulae on nozzles and pressures.

Strange how I've so many books and so few model boats!

Capricorn

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 05:08:36 am »

Hey thanks everyone, It sounds like quite a challenge.  I am still looking for "the" book, I'm not a big ebay guy but if I have to I'll go there.  Thanks Nick for the offer to review it, we'll see where it goes and I'd certainly be happy to have all look at it before I do something stupid.

JohnB maybe two turbines was a stretch (my idea), I mean a single turbine would be half the work all the way around but for gearing to two shafts.  One slightly larger one is more efficient than two smaller ones I'm sure (less steam consumption).  Do you think the buckets are too big?  Of course the power would go down but maybe it's a bit too free flowing?

Thanks JohnE for calling Bob, that was awfully nice of you.  Wow, 150 psi would make me nervous.  I'll see if I can find the site you mention. 

In any case it appears I'll have to abandon the idea of a simple boiler (as many of you have already pointed out earlier)

I am curious how you all think I might go about determining whether a given turbine engine is going to be adequate, I know JohnB you said you'd have to connect the prototype to your gearbox and
test it which make sense.  I may be able to go as far as saying I need x watts at y rpm but even that would be tough, and I could be off by a quite a bit.  I'll have the hull in the water in another couple weeks I'd guess.  The current motors are rated for maximum power of 180 watts ea, 360 watts for the pair, just about 1/2 hp.  But I imagine it's not likely to work out that way (maximum power used) and so I'll need larger motors to get the speed up, plus the losses in the motors has to be subtracted.

Well thanks again, got to go.

bogstandard

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 06:47:29 am »

Referring to this quote from John E

Bob was saying though he also built (up to now) 3 steam turbines and he is on with his 4th build of a turbine at the moment.

Bob feels that the most successful turbine that he has built to date was a single rota of a 4 inch diameter across the blade tips; he did not inform me of how many blades the most successful one had; but, are you waiting for it......

it ran on 150 PSI super heated steam; at 3200 rpm.  The boiler itself was a figure of 8 configuration with twin burners - one down each '0' opening of the 8 -I think Bob said that the boiler was roughly 12 inches long but he did not tell me how many loops or figure 8's were in this length.

This is a perfect example of why I made a prototype. You need information from test runs and trials. As you can see, Bob is onto his fourth turbine, most probably, each one is better than the previous attempt.

Us small scale machinists are working, basically, in the dark. We don't have multi billion pound R&D departments, so trial and error and a basic understanding of the technology has to be the way we go. Just for a simple thing like a nozzle jet can take dozens of attempts to get one that works efficiently at the size we make. Each one taking say a couple of hours.

I know for a fact that the larger rotor turbine that I originally made is a lot more efficient and produces more power than the one I have just made, but I was given a size and quantity constraint, so my testbed was built to fit that parameter. Just to see if it was feasible to make a matched pair to power this boat. I made the engine for my love of engineering. To get to a stage where the original idea can be put into production might take a few more trial and error engines, in that situation it then doesn't become feasible for Cap to pay, say a lowly basic £10 per hour (and most probably a lot more) making costs to produce further R&D engines. He will soon be up into the many thousands of pounds.

OK, say I got an engine that worked efficiently on the second trial. It has been shown that powering it is going into another experimental area. People have been doing these boilers, as experimental exercises for most of their lives, striving to get a 'perfect' one. Again, mainly due to trial and error, suck it and see exercises. Copper tubing in these 'experimental' flash boilers, because of the pressures and temperatures involved, is no use, so you really have to be looking at stainless steel and other exotic materials just to keep the thing from failing. You are now looking again at high development costs, because these back yard machinists and builders cannot be expected to give their time and materials for free.  We do have normal lives to lead.

If someone came to you and said, your are a model boat builder, here is a picture of a totally unique model I want building, can you make it such and such long, you can do all the R&D. How long would it take you to make. How long is the proverbial bit of string? >>:-( >>:-(

What I am trying to get at here, I have done the first basic prototype for free, and I really enjoyed doing it and is now a proud part of my experimental engine collection. But even at this early stage, major problems are starting to rear their ugly heads. To carry on with this trial and error exercise that was originally inspired by Cap wanting to have a turbine powered model, would in my opinion be a VERY expensive and long term project. If you can get someone to work for nothing for a few hundred or maybe thousands of hours, then I will gladly share what little information I have. Maybe Nick from Monahan has the time to help. {-) {-) {-) {-)

I am not admitting defeat, a couple of more protos and I am sure that the engine side could be sorted. But the costs would be very prohibitive. Now if you could find a good, guaranteed working sets of plans (not the ones you see in books that say, this is how I did it and this is how to make it type, dating back to the early 20th century, they will most probably still be experimental), it would then be feasible, as all the R&D has been done and they could be knocked up fairly quickly and cheaply.

Cut your losses now, it has cost you nothing to get this far. To go any further with this project is going to hit you hard in the wallet area, and at this moment in time, the feasibility is a non runner. Revert back to the secondary option of going down a proven route, electric motors, and get a turbine sound board.

John

Capricorn

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 01:39:56 pm »

John, You ought to get more than 10 L/hr (#$symbol?) that's for sure.  I'm sorry if I sounded dismissive of your prototype, I sure didn't intend to.  I'm not a steam engine collector but if I were I'd sure have to have one.  As it is I'd still like to have one.

Your are right of course the development of a turbine of the right size, power output and efficiency would be an immense task, one I couldn't expect someone else to undertake on my behalf, for free no less.  Like you said find a proven one with known charactaristics and pay someone to build it, or do the building and experimenting myself.  Get/build the engine and then build a different hull for it once it's ability is known.

At any rate I'm not ready to give up quite yet  :'(.  I'll be out for a day here and have to go now but I wanted to let you know John that I really appreciate your building the engine, you are the most generous person I've come across on the forums and you are a great machinist and engine creator.  Cap 

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 11:49:21 pm »

Capricorn

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 01:55:59 pm »

Thanks Peter, that is great,

I was able to fine it here selling anywhere from $26 to $56 it looks like, one place even claims new copies.  That would be a good price but it looks like shipping is $18 to US.   

Capricorn

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 03:29:12 am »

I found this site.  It seems to have a lot of info on it.  A section on boats too.

http://alanstepney.info/index.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.