Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the most popular kit ever built?  (Read 8731 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: What is the most popular kit ever built?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 11:55:33 am »

Hi ya Martin

I was supplied with the original plans for the Vosper; Brave Borderer; and it has all of the correct frame shapes.  Also, it has the table of 'offsets' - this table gives the correct dimensions for all of the frames.  So anyone with a large enough backgarden and a few hundred grand to spare will have a go at building the lifesize hull - hey Vosper might have something to say though eh ???

On a serious note, comparing the drawing with the model; and, comparing Tamiya's model to the drawings there is no noticible difference.   The only difference that I can see is Tamiya model has a twin rudder and the plans show three rudders.

As far as the wooden kits for the Brave Borderer are concerned; these were flat sided and kept as simple as possible for the plywood build.    If you have a look at Martin13s build, the flare on the bow and on the sides is correct.

aye
John e
Bluebird.
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

NielsdB

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 12:09:27 pm »

Billing-boats Banckert.
What a crappy type of wood for the deckhousing, (at least 25 years ago it was crappy)

djrobbo

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 01:29:23 pm »

Hi martin..........the glass hull is the best bit !!!!! O0.........takes all the work out of making a hull , but you put all the labour back in making all the wooden bits from scratch coz a lot of it is not only crap wood , but it doesn't fit :'( :'(

I will still build it oneday though !

regards....bob.

pomybill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 12:34:22 am »

I am still building a Huntsman from the original kit by Avonics. The beast weighs a ton, and the wood is still good after over thirty years of being left in various places around Australia from Lightning Ridge tho the Gold fields of Kalgoorlie and back to Sydney and then to me in Bondi as a present from my dentist !!!!
FLJ I have traced it over the last few months and am looking forward to seeing your latest plans.
It is not the easiest of builds as it is mostly 1/4in ply and is sheathed i 1/16in birch ply which after the weathering it has had it is almost impossible to form (Bend). The parts are quite accurate and only require finishing to represent a very nice finished Hull. The superstructure is in build at the moment.
The plans were very good for the time and the Build instructions were in the form of a book and very helpful ad the illustrations were a forerunner of the standard we now expect, but don/t always get. Ireturned the plans to I think the right place and having copied the original book of words will do the same.
My choice would be the Huntsman.

Pomybill

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 05:41:40 pm »

Hi all, I expect one of the small Airfix kits probably has it with the Victory etc.
But for working models I was told some years ago that the Imara tug boat kit had sold over 5000 and then they stopped counting.
I believe the Graupner Bugsier tug boat kit has been on sale since 1974 and was the first kit with a ready formed plastic hull, still building my one!
regards to all Roy.

fireball XL5

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2019, 08:56:05 pm »

This is an old topic, but was there ever a verdict upon which model was voted as the best selling kit.

Is the verdict still valid today, if a decision was reached and has it now been superseded, with the topic being 11 years old.

It would be interesting to know what the agreed outcome was.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2019, 09:14:41 pm »

The Revell Flower class corvette must have sold thousands and is still selling well today.

Colin

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2019, 09:19:16 pm »

I suppose the Bismark would come a close second to the flower class

Dave

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2019, 09:28:58 pm »

The RAF crash tender (or more correctly, a Fire Float) must come high up the list.  Although they only ever built 2 of the real thing the Crash Tender has been extremely popular since the 1950s and still is.  You can't visit a model boat show without seeing at least one and any clip of film of model boats inevitably features either 93 or 94.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2020, 04:33:09 pm »

I wondered if anyone had built one of these? It was the first kit I built, I dont remember having any problems with it, but it was quite long ago. I would have thought it would have sold well at the time. The photos are from eezebilt site, sadly mine is long gone.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2020, 04:41:14 pm »

I remember that but don't remember building it. I built the harbour tug of the same series. Think I was 9yrs old but no memory of what happened to it.

EDIT
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2020, 05:19:00 pm »

I built this as my first boat. Late fifties or early sixties, powered by a Mabuchi motor with a flat 4.5v battery (the one with the flexible copper contacts, also used in front bicycle lamps). If I remember correctly the motor wires were attached to the battery by paper clips soldered to the wires.  :-))

I think the prop shaft and rudder are lurking in 'might come in useful sometime' box at the back of a shelf in the study  %%
Don't Assume Check

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2020, 11:00:03 pm »

Thats the same battery I used, it was good for using up bike torch batteries that were too dim to use on the bike.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 02:51:12 pm »

Many years ago whilst at the ellesmere boat show I counted no less than 47 versions of the matchbox corvette, so I think for a contender in the plastics division, this beats all others, but for the other kits I give way to those in the know.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2020, 09:13:54 pm »

Hi all, I would like to think it would be the aerokits crash tender and the swordsman I have built both from kits and plans.
Both nice to build and sail just as well with ic or brushless.
On the other side of the coin one not om my list is the latest offering from Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot which I am building at the moment quality compared
with the kits Frank Hinchcliffe used to produce is something to decided I will leaver for another day

Happy building Madboats
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.