Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: American PGM of the Vietnam era  (Read 23201 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
American PGM of the Vietnam era
« on: April 22, 2008, 06:06:14 pm »

Well I've started my next build with what I had laying around in the shed while I wait for the wifes pay cheque to catch up with my spending so I can finish the last one.
This one is going to be an American PGM of the Vietnam era with a little bit of builders licence.
I  have managed to get loads of photos off the internet, all side or front shots, no rear or top shots.
Anyway have made a start.
Have so  far put in the Mtronics Vision 600 motor with cooling coil. Have done the inlet and outlet for the cooling system.
Have put in a Graupner propshaft to which I have attached an oiler fitting and a 2 bladed prop.
Have also fitted a pair of Robbe rudders.
I have put this to one side as I don't intend to do the deck or other electrics until I have made up the main superstructure and figured out where its going
Have started on the superstructure using plasticard..
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

Re: American PGM of the Vietnam era
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:06:37 pm »

Looks good so far O0

Stavros

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 06:35:46 pm »

Well had another good day in the shed.
Made and fixed the doors to the superstructure.
Put in the battery holder and the servo and connected the servo to the rudders.
Fixed in place the speaker for my JJC turbocat noise maker.
Fixed the deck supports to the hull which was a bit of a workup as the deck does not run parallel to the top edge of the hull but slopes front to back.
Cut my two openings in the deck and put the coaming around the hole.
That was the lot for today.
I think I have figured out one reason you chaps like scratch building, its because you can put things like access hatches where it suits you and what you want to put in the boat.
Some photos self explanatory might be a bit vague as it is white plastic,

Martin13

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:30:56 pm »

DickyD - Are you scratch building the superstructure :D :D :D

Martin doon under

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:54:49 pm »

DickyD - Are you scratch building the superstructure :D :D :D

Martin doon under

I'm giving it a go Martin.  O0

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 06:30:08 pm »

Dont appear to have done much today though I've been a long time doing it.
I finished off trimming round the hatches and fitted them.
Fitted the deck.
Moved the speaker to a new position as I realized once I'd fitted the deck I couldn't get to it.
Made and fitted a funnel for the superstructure.
I am expecting some deliveries tomorrow ( boat stuff ) so I wont get much done as I will have to wait in the house for the postman.

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:44:15 pm »

DickyD as you suffer from Emphysema what glues do you use as a close friend of mine suffers not from Emphysema but a severe reaction to all kinds of fumes cheers

Stavros

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 08:18:27 am »

I use all the normal glues and epoxys but I have to leave the shed door open and the fan on and do a little at a time. I do get a low odour supa glue from A Model World.
Spray cans are the ones that do me in. I have to spray outside and quickly as even spraying the under side of this model is going to give me problems ie. leave me gasping for breath. People say use masks, well take my word for it , if you have emphyema the last thing you want is something clamped over your nose and mouth, unless its an oxygen mask.

andi4x4

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 12:17:51 pm »

I feel for you, Richard - I used to be into garden railways a few years ago and one of the local members of the 16mm Narrow Gauge Modellers Association who lived close to me had Emphycema - he was also a prolific builder ( most 16mm stuff is scratchbuilt or part kit as there was almost no R-T-R stuff at the time ) and ran a small business building '0' Gauge and larger locos for customers without the time or abilities. He has had to give up as he simply cannot do it any more - he has now unfortunately had to give up the hobby completely as his condition has progressed to the point where he is sat in the house on almost constant oxygen now - it has been sad (and humbling) to watch it happen - we have kept in touch, although I no longer model 16mm railways. He, like you, would not wear any breathing/respiratory protection and both he and I ( I work for the Ambulance Service ) feel that his not doing so has progressed his condition more rapidly than if he had worn something.

I know it is not comfortable - I have no respiratory conditions, and I hate masks too  - but if you can get into it, do so. They do help.

Back to the thread in hand though  :embarrassed:

Is that hull you are use styrene or ABS ? Boat is looking good so far - another masterpiece from the DickyD Dockyard ! Did your bits and pieces arrive yet via the post ?

Regards  Andi

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 01:21:46 pm »

I feel for you, Richard - I used to be into garden railways a few years ago and one of the local members of the 16mm Narrow Gauge Modellers Association who lived close to me had Emphycema - he was also a prolific builder ( most 16mm stuff is scratchbuilt or part kit as there was almost no R-T-R stuff at the time ) and ran a small business building '0' Gauge and larger locos for customers without the time or abilities. He has had to give up as he simply cannot do it any more - he has now unfortunately had to give up the hobby completely as his condition has progressed to the point where he is sat in the house on almost constant oxygen now - it has been sad (and humbling) to watch it happen - we have kept in touch, although I no longer model 16mm railways. He, like you, would not wear any breathing/respiratory protection and both he and I ( I work for the Ambulance Service ) feel that his not doing so has progressed his condition more rapidly than if he had worn something.

I know it is not comfortable - I have no respiratory conditions, and I hate masks too  - but if you can get into it, do so. They do help.

Back to the thread in hand though  :embarrassed:

Is that hull you are use styrene or ABS ? Boat is looking good so far - another masterpiece from the DickyD Dockyard ! Did your bits and pieces arrive yet via the post ?

Regards  Andi
The hull is ABS and my bits and pieces are being processed. That dont sound right :-\

Its not that I dont like wearing the masks its because I cant breath with one on. I am on oxygen 16 hours a day.

andi4x4

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 03:32:27 pm »

Oh, I see - sorry - didn't realize that was the reason. I can understand the "no masks, please" -

I'll shut up at this point for fear of putting my foot any further into my mouth !  :embarrassed:

Back to the topic of glues - can you suggest something that will convincingly bond styrene to what I think is upvc ?  I purchased some plastic tube from the model shop, who state the tube is styrene ( it isn't, because Revel Contacta Professional wont melt it ! :( ) to make the pivots for the transom flap on my BB - the rest of the TF is styrene, but the tube just wont bond strongly enough to take the strain it will be under. I cant get PlasWeld here either.

Regards

Andi

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 06:04:10 pm »

Andi have you tried plumbers solvent weld cleaner. Must be used sparingly as it is a solvent. Works like Plastic weld.
Dont use the solvent weld it is the cleaner you want.

If thats no good can you get Stabilit Express, expensive but seems to stick almost anything to anything. O0

andi4x4

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 06:22:43 pm »

Hi Richard,

No, haven't tried solvent cleaner - I do have, somewhere, some Evostic solvent cleaner - intended for removing Evostic adhesive. Is that likely to do the job ?

I have got some neat Acetone - which nicely melts the tube - but not the styrene  ::)  I aslo have some plumbers solvent adhesive, but, as you say - not the right product.

I will have a look for the Evostik stuff - if that doesn't work I will go to B&Q tomorrow and get some solvent cleaner.

Regards

Andi

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 06:47:41 pm »

Its plumbers solvent adhesive cleaner you need, the Evo Stik one wont do it.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 07:00:18 pm »

Haven't done a lot today.
Ran epoxy resin round the inside of the join of the deck and hull.

Then I drilled  and filed out loads of holes at deck level.

Then I fixed my two Bofors guns( two I made earlier ) into the deck. They wil have to be removed again before painting.

andi4x4

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 07:32:33 pm »

Its plumbers solvent adhesive cleaner you need, the Evo Stik one wont do it.

Bottoms ! I just found it - Took me ages !  ::)

Will go get some tomorrow.

PGM looking good ! What scale is it ? You said you made the guns yourself ? Got some Bofors for my BB - started to take a look at them today to see if I can convert them from static to enable rotation and raise/lower gun. Will let you know how it goes !

Regards

Andi

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 09:16:38 am »

The scale is 1: 40 Andi.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 05:48:37 pm »

Very nice work! I really like your scratchbuilt styrene superstructure, and the 40mm guns also look good (did you scratchbuild these? If so, I'd like to see some close-up detail shots). Also, where did you get the hull from?

I'm planning to build a US Coast Guard Cape-class cutter - a "close relative" of the PGM - in about 1/35 scale in the near future, as my first scratchbuilt R/C "warship". The hull I've got was originally designed for a 1/12 steam launch, of all things, but happens to be almost exactly the right shape and size for a Cape-class scaling out at around 1/35, give or take a few scale points. The shape of the stern/transom is the only major thing wrong on my hull (too rounded) but for a working model it should be OK.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 07:07:03 pm »

One other thing: As you say you're basing your models on photos, this plan might be helpful. I found this on the web last year when I was looking for reference material for the Lindberg USCG cutter plastic kit I was building at the time - can't remember which site I found it on. The plan is very low-res, and part of the bow is missing for some reason, but it should still be useful.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 07:19:48 pm »

Hi there Edward.
The hull is a Robbe PT boat hull I had kicking around so also not quite the same as the PGM.
Thanks for the plan it will be really helpful.
Will see what I can do about photos.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 06:05:07 pm »

Today I installed my Overlander esc, Futaba receiver and JJC Turbocat and wired them in. Perfic. O0

I also made the aerial and fixed it to the wheelhouse roof.

Assembled two 20mm anti aircraft guns and primed them for fixing later on.

Think I will change the motor for a Deans Marine Kestrel, the same as I have in my PT boat as the motor I have in it at the moment is a very noisy Mtronic 600 and you can hardly hear the Turbocats for the motor noise. The Kestrel is very nearly silent, like a Rolls Royce.

Will carry on with the superstructure tomorrow.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 06:10:47 pm »

Whoops nearly forgot the photos of the guns for Edward.
They are made of brass wire, brass tube, plasticard, and small shaped wooden bits.

andi4x4

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 11:48:20 pm »

Looking nice, Richard  O0  Made a start on my Bofors for the BB - not got as far as you yet though - still trying to get the R/C contol sorted. :-\   Did you make the 20mm guns yourself or are they from the "Processed Bits" package ?

Regards

Andi

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 08:14:57 am »

Hi Andi
The 20mm guns are kits from Redbank Models or as you know him Wingertaz.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 05:12:27 pm »

Very nice work with the scratchbuilt 40mms! How did you make the barrels + flash hiders - are they turned in a lathe?

The only suggestion for improvement I'd make is to add some proper open gunsights instead of the solid discs. Handwheels - particularly 4-spoked ones - are the best low-budget way of making these (they're what I normally use, anyway). Etched brass ones might be a bit too fragile for a working model, but Billings do some thin, flat plastic handwheels which would probably do.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.