Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Colin H Springer.  (Read 18310 times)

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
Colin H Springer.
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:25:21 pm »

Well it had to happen, I have never built from scratch before so found this a little daunting but I want a Springer so here we go.

To start I decided that I would where ever possible built from the bits left over from all the kits I have bought over the last 4 years or any other scrap I could find laying about.

The sides are from 5mm ply the bow and stern from 2" x 1" PAR, left over from a pipe boxing job.

If the picture post OK will post more.

Pretty please stand by for some very basic questions.

Yours Colin H.

do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Colin H Springer.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:46:23 pm »

Well that seemed to work OK.

Picture one is off the rubbing strakes (if that is the correct term) these are from left over planking. I have found a number of use's for this especially when you start glueing several thickness's together.

Picture two is my attempt at a water proof bow compartment made from balsa left over from a slope soarer.

Yours Colin H.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:48:48 am »

OK so far Colin. Raise the waterproof bulkhead to deck level and put in a rear WTC too, it`ll help support the radio and speed controller shelf. Fill with foam blocks.  Maybe your rubbing strake is too low , seems to be on the waterline, put one higher(same size) about the deck level.  What top are we going to get ?
..well can you land on this?

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 05:10:54 pm »

Thanks for that Arrow, I will indeed put a strake at a high level but thought I might put it on after I had got the bulwarks (if thats the right word) in place.

As to the top I have yet to give that much thought to busy trying to get the hull right.

Yours Colin H.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:02:36 pm »

Hi well I had a good night for me that is.

First a friend who has a collection of listening books came round and left me a couple. So tonight's work was accompanied by Bridge Over The River Kwai read by Sir John Mills. Very easy listening.

Tonight's effort was to build supports for the battery, I wanted this as low as possible after reading how these boats lean over in a corner.

Secondly to build the deck supports. If anyone of you experienced chaps see me doing anything silly please let me know.

Many thanks Colin H.

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 11:21:08 pm »

How about putting in Propshaft and Motor before you put batt in!!!!! Don't worry about them leaning over they all do and don,t even capsize tired to do this with mine and failed

Stavros

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 03:33:40 am »

As Stavros said, put the batteries in after the Prop shaft and motor... Put the batteries (you WILL need 2 to get it to the waterline) on either side of the motor / shaft.

chingdevil

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 06:24:25 am »

I would also do away with he cross strut on the deck support, nice to be able to get the batteries in and out easily because all up weight will be about 4 - 5kg. Also if you build the deck out of 6mm or 8mm ply you will not need any supports it will be plenty strong enough. How are you going to attach the front knees to the springer?

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 07:30:43 am »

By the way.... I have a couple of sets of 6v 4Ah batteries for Springers up for grabs at Wicksteed if your coming - courtesy of John at Model Power!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 03:28:56 pm »

Good advice from the guys Colin. Two batteries on edge with terminals to suit your taste, I like mine pointing towards the stern.  Get the motor and shaft in first.  Is that block balsa as floatation? If you can dig it out replace it with polystyrene foam, balsa will get soggy no matter what you do to waterproof it. Extra flotation can be a 1" foam slab same shape as engine compartment if you have space against the hull, also a couple of shaped blocks in rear area at rudder post (and servo if fitted there). Think about a detachable top (waterproof!!!!) must have access and tipability to get water and gravel out of the bilges if you are going to go out in rough water. Look forward to an interesting top. Dont forget door-stop springs for footy !(Homebase or B&Q ) O0

chingdevil

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 03:58:55 pm »

You will also need to fit coamings around any opening on the springer deck, about 25mm high should do and make the fit between the superstructure and the coamings as tight as possible. Believe me if you give the springer full speed ahead, even with the batteries towards the back the bow will dive under. On one of my springers I have had most of the deck under water at full speed, scary but fun.

Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 04:20:10 pm »

Check the water-flow over the bow. We are not kidding about water-tightness :o :D ??? ;)

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 05:08:24 pm »

Hi and thanks for all the advice I need it.

The central strut was just a temporary thing, my ply sides had a 2mm curve in them so I pushed out the curve to the left of the pic. Glued in the temporary strut and then clamped the other side to it. I will know if it works when I cut out the middle strut.

With regard to flotation I will take on board what you say and make some alterations.

Once again many thanks Colin H.

Sorry I forgot I won't be posting to night SWMBO insists I take her to the pub.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 05:46:24 pm »

Sorry I forgot I won't be posting to night SWMBO insists I take her to the pub.
   Dont you just hate it when they do that.... >>:-(

djrobbo

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 06:52:43 pm »

The only thing i can add to what has allready been said is ....i made the battery position adjustable fore and aft ...that way i can adjust the waterline level for different conditions...see piccies of fubar on the springer thread............i had them a tad too far back when stav took the piccies ::)........but set like that it will take w.o.t

regards.bob.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 10:33:30 pm »

Hi Chaps,

Well as usual you are correct. I collected my running gear today and would have ended up screwing the motor mounting plate to the battery. The battery has GONE for the time being and am now concentrating on the motor mount and fitting the prop shaft etc.

The temporary strut has been cut out and I now have to levelish sides.

The bow water tight compartment (I live in hope) as been fitted with shaped poly foam block just in case.

When I have the running gear complete will post some pics.

Thanks again for the advice.

Yours Colin H.

Mr Andy

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 08:55:39 pm »

I hope you are only having one motor Colin, I made mine with two of everything, not very succesfull I'm afraid, she now weighs in at just over 8lb :o :o

Andy. :) ;)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 04:07:33 am »

I hope you are only having one motor Colin, I made mine with two of everything, not very succesfull I'm afraid, she now weighs in at just over 8lb :o :o

8lb?... oh, a lightweight Springer!..

Mustang Sally @ 10lb
Scoot @ nearly 10lb

O0 O0 O0

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 10:24:09 pm »

This is as far as we got tonight, motor prop shaft and `skeg` in.

Colin H.

Willit

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 11:59:17 pm »

wow that prop looks vicious!

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 10:49:05 pm »

Well have managed a good few hours over the weekend, mostly filling and rubbing down.

But I have followed Brian's advice and fitted a coaming around the deck opening.

This was followed by the main bulwarks, the pusher thingy my bobs are only temporary to line up the bulwarks.

Colin H.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 10:21:54 pm »

Evening all,

Managed a couple of hours in the shed tonight. First I made a tight fitting cover for the hole in the main deck this fits quite well around the coaming shown in the previous post and I hope will help prevent water ingress. It will also provide support for the super structure.

I then went on to start to solder up the safety rails.

Colin H.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 10:30:23 pm »

It seems like a very long time since I posted here but what with holidays, gardening etc it as took quite a time to get any where completion.

As I have said before this is my first scatch build so some things are not quite right but I have learnt a hell of a lot. Add to that it floats, is water tight and moves in the right direction and I am fairly pleased.

Colin H.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 03:39:42 pm »

That looks VERY nice Colin!...  :)

.. now on to the next one..  O0

barryfoote

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 04:50:02 pm »

A cracker, and a first effort too. Very well done.....I hope my first attempt turns out half as good as yours. O0 O0
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.