Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Food and Meals of our time.....  (Read 13255 times)

OMK

Great Food and Meals of our time.....
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:58:33 pm »

"...so at least you can enjoy the beautiful smell of a true home made Caribbean curry..."

Caribbean curry? Now that is intruiging. We're all familiar with Indian and Chinese curries, but a Caribbean is a new one.
Any idea where can I buy/sample one? Or where can I get the recipe?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 07:41:26 am »

"Curry Goat" is a great traditional Caribbean / Jamaican meal that is made for special occasions such as weddings
or dinner parties etc. It's one of those great meals that you always hope for and never disappoints!

Many people substitute Lamb for goat.... Tesco's and Sainsbury's don't readily stock goat meat!
It's not a very strong curry but heaps and heaps of flavour.
I went to an engagement party recently and had a Shilankan version of Curry Goat,
more pepper than the Jamaican version...Yum yum!!

http://www.caribbean-food.co.uk/recipe.php?id=98
http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/curry_goat_p_1.html
http://www.jamaican-recipes.com/currygoat.html
http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/curried_goat.ht

No, it's not goat curry, or curry with goat or goat meat curry but Curry Goat!
I can sence a toplic split coming on - "Great meals of our time!"
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andygh

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:44:37 am »

Don't forget the rice and peas and a bit of plantain, rum punch to wash it down  O0

OMK

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:59:48 am »

Okay, okay - now before I click either of those four URLs, just two questions first.....

What is Shilankan, and what is plantain?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 08:41:34 am »

Oops! Typo - Srilankan ( Sri Lanka )

Plantain is a bit like banana but a bit more firm. Fried or roasted as you would Turnips etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantain - Fried and dried it's like thick crisps.

Most West Indian food is either fired or boiled to death, much of the day to day meals can be quite bland.
Most of the islands of the west Indies has there own pepper sauce, not like that Reggae Reggae sauce on BB C's
Dragon Den, real 'can't catch your breath' pepper sauces! My personal favourite is Barbadian   Yellow sauce, which
 is a bit like Piccalilli dressing ... with nuclear waste thrown in!  :o

When fellers from our Mumbai, India come over, we always ask them to bring over Banana pepper chips,
a bit eggy but again take your breath away stuff, wonderful!

'Rice and peas' is not peas as in garden peas but peas as in red Kidney beans, soaked over night  to make them soft and
tender and then cooked in the rice and turns it a reddy/brown colour. Best cooked with a little 'desecrated' coconut...
....a bit like desiccate coconut but from stolen from grave yard trees!  ::)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:31:07 am »

Dominican Red Pepper sauce, every time!

Don't forget the dasheen, Martin. (vegetable which is used rather like a potato or a plantain, sold at the roadside by the "heap")

Wash it all down with a "Step-up"! (rum and ginger wine)

Roger in France.

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Great Food and Meals of our time.....
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 11:40:50 am »

That's just great, I've gone and eating my sarnies that were supposed to be for lunch now.
 It'll have to be the works canteen now.....hurrah!!!  it's Thursday and that means curry. The joke here is that since we've been taken over by Tata every day is curry day.

A discovery I've made since becoming a father is Butternut Squash. This was in some baby recipie book and SWMBO and I had never tried it but my kids liked it so much as babies it has become a staple in our house my favourite treatment of this being Butternut Squash and prawn risotto. Yum.

It's also good roasted in with a joint or potatoes, parsnips etc....  YUM!!!

Anyone with any advice on how to grow BNS in a Welsh allotment please PM me.

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 04:39:11 pm »

Mogsy, glad you found squashes. They are a great source of fibre in the diet (may cause an antisocial response after consumption!) and very nourishing. There is a wide range of sizes, colours (including multicoloured), textures and varieties of squash. They make a great addition to meals and are easy to grow from seed. May have to be protected from slugs etc. by slipping a brick under them as they grow.

Here in France they are readily available and most vegetable sellers in markets will cut you an appropriate size chunk off the larger ones if you do not want all of it.

Roger in France.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 11:03:14 am »

Cyprus - Kleftiko.    Everything after is an anti-climax.  Not an island for vegetarians.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 06:44:56 pm »

Ginormous cherries bought from the roadside orchards down near Albany Western Australia.....food from the Gods...... :kiss: :kiss:

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 09:23:09 pm »

Good to see you back PMK, considering this topic, your insides must be well on the mend!

The local food in the islands is largely based on goat (often refered to as goats milk when sold at fetes etc). Not to my taste at all, I much prefered best Aussie beef sold at give away prices (and I'm not joking - it was less than a quarter of the price in the UK at the time). When washed down with Bajan rum (much lighter in colour than the dark stuff we get here) most things become eatable. If you can source it, try Mount Gay or Cavilleer but be warned, it is very deceptive - will lift the polish of furniture.....

It would appear that I didn't learn much in a two year tour except what drinks are nice, better or just delicious (at their prices you could be seriously ratted for a couple of bob).
The exception has to be local homebrew, rather like duplicating fluid with a serious and deadly effect (only tried it once and learned quickly -NO)
For food, the local mango takes some beating, absolute nectar. The jelly from a coconut mixed with rum is very enjoyable.
Oh happy days, like being persuaded that you should drink Kirsch in half pint glasses. My head the next morning in a three hour workshop class with ten students beating hell out of metalwork was another matter.
Let's turn the clock back and try it all again.
Stay well

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 08:37:19 pm »

Went to Nice last week and fell in love with Salad Nicoise, so brought back some of those little black olives with oil and herbs. Threw some mustard vinaigrette together this evening and chucked it over Little Gem leaves and celery; dumped in a can of tuna, some capers, tomatoes, aforementioned olives, hard-boiled egg and anchovies and scoffed the lot with Ciabatta bread and a bottle of chilled Sancerre......................

Mr K - it will be my pleasure to introduce you to this delicacy as/when/if we ever get head-to-head. Like having angels in your tummy  :angel:

FLJ

Roger in France

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 06:12:24 am »

FLJ,

If you are ever looking for a good meal in London and enjoy salad niceoise try the restaurant chain "Chez Gerard". There are several of them and I believe they are spreading beyond London. My favourite was in Charlotte Street. Not only is their salad niceoise excellent but also their French cuts of beef and lamb are a treat. They claim to do the best French fries in the UK. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Roger in France.

Damien

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 01:17:06 am »

Traditional Lamb roast with spuds, pumpkin and carrots top my list followed closely by steak and chips.
As i'm the household cook it's my nightly choice roast chook tonight.
D.

OMK

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 01:24:25 am »

Man, I so wish I could cook. I mean, it's no sweat to whip-up a succulent Sunday roast, or even a simple tuna-melt (U.S), or....
But when it comes to the REAL cooking, I'm left miles behind.
I'm also the world's fussiest eater. Cucumber is one of my pet hates - tomatoes, too. But when I see it all together, mixed in a salad bowl.... delicious!
I've made a mental note to have a stab at one of those Caribbean curries one day. But, unlike Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall, I like food that doesn't resemble road-kill.

"Good to see you back PMK, considering this topic, your insides must be well on the mend!"

Hello again, Mr. Sweeper.
Not sure that 'mend' is the right word. It's called being too arrogant to heed the quacks. Truth is, it's still there. Some days good - some good'er. The secret is in moderation. These days I only smoke after meals (I'm down to just 120 cigs per-day now) and only eat curry at breakfast time, lunch time and dinner times - washed down with a few gallon of apple juice. (Burp!... Hic!).
Seriously though, you have to remember that we country bumpkins, we're not very adventrous when it comes to food. Leastways, that's how it seems around these parts. But whenever I see all that swanky nosh on those TV cookery programmes..... man, does it look GOOD. I used to date a Cumbrian girl. The two things I remember most about her are: 1) She loathed wearing panties, and 2) she had a thing for anchovies. (Yeah, I know what you're thinking!). Funny enough, she too mentioned that same brain-blowing juice as you yourself drank in the Caribbean. It had the same effect on her, too. A great cook, though. In fact, it was her that introduced me to a life other than fish and bleedin' chips.
So when I read FLJ's post, I'm already drooling at the thought.

Dave, if you're earwigging, I would dearly love to try that feast of yours. Just omit the anchovies though.

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 06:25:35 pm »

Pull the other one PMK, the 'ole country bumpkin touch don't wash here!

I've just spent three weeks down in your part of the world,the belt buckle is now a couple of notches further out, so much for not being into decent eating. I've got no doubt you'll have tried the Buttery down on the dockside in Bristol, best reason to visit the city.
Stay with the diet, sounds good "only" 120 cigs a day? Report to the Chief Stoker and get a boiler clean!
Hang on in there.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 08:15:25 pm »

Dave, if you're earwigging, I would dearly love to try that feast of yours. Just omit the anchovies though.

PMK
I is jus' a' waitin' for da invite, you l'il ole country pumpkin. I'll take care of all the anchovies, dude.

Sweeper
Lecturing PMK about a healthy lifestyle is about as much use as trying to teach a tortoise to tango. Give up NOW - he'll only out-Dude you in the end.

Roger
Info gratefully stored away in file marked "Brill Scoff". Gotta be better than Darvood's in Sherwood, innit, my man?

Doc Brown (aka MalcolmF)
I've never tried a vegetarian. Don't the Greek ones taste very nice, then?

Damien
"Roast chook"?? Should we know more?

Mogsy
How about a recipe for that BNS and Prawn Risotto? I can invite PMK................ :o

FLJ (Just finished 20 x P94s and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc).

OMK

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 05:03:59 am »

"Pull the other one PMK, the 'ole country bumpkin touch don't wash here!"

Ah, but you're confusing Bristol Town with the Westcountry. I'm referring to the OTHER Westcountry, about 70 miles down the road, where they're still struggling with the concept of using cutlery.
Although, it's funny you should mention The Buttery. My eldest bro', he lives in Brizzle. I was at his place a few weeks ago, fixing his PC, but what should have been a simple 2-minute fix turned out to be a three-day job. So while I'm there we popped into town on the last day for a spot of lunch. Guess where?
Anyhow, if ever you find yourself around Taunton way and you hear the sound of "puff... puff... puff", it won't be me smoking - it'll be because I'm out of breath from all that boiler polishing.
By the by, did you grok Mr. Brunel's bridge while you were there?

Mr. J: Are you saying you've not heard of chook? Put it this way... just omit one of the O's and stick an E on the end. Like Marmite (ugh!), it's an acquired taste and nowhere near as nice-sounding as Sauvignon Blanc.
But help me out here, dude. What is Ciabatta bread? It has a vowel on the end, so I'm guessing it's maybe Italian?? Sounds nice. Can you get it from Sainsbury's?

So here's my contri' for a quick lunchtime snack...

Lightly butter two slices of bread.
Cover the first slice with an even layer of tuna.
Add a sprinkling of chopped, raw onion.
4 tomato slices.
Iceberg lettuce.
Cover with grated cheese.

Bung the second slice of bread on the top, then place the whole lot in a pan.
Lightly butter the outside of the top slice, turn it over, then do ditto on the other slice.
Gently crank up the heat and let the butter gradually melt.
Turn it over when the underside is a nice golden brown, then do ditto to the other side.
Make sure the cheese has melted, then serve while it's still hot.

You might want to add a splash of soy sauce.
Or even a sprinkling of curry powder.

Anchovies are optional. ;)

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 08:34:05 am »

Monsieur Roger will correct me if I'm too wide of the mark, but this delicacy from the wilds of Zummerzet sounds like a variation of Croque Monsieur (a sort of inside-out French cheese & ham toastie). I have a weakness for tuna anyway, so I'll give it a try.

Now - to the question you asked:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-ciabatta-bread.htm

You can certainly get it from Sainsburys up here, as well as most of the other lot. We use Lidl, which is a) closest and b) much cheaper. My mate John slices a loaf if it in half length-ways, brushes it with Olive oil and sticks it in the oven until it gets crisp. Slurpy, slurpy! You can smother it with anything that takes your fancy - like making a long, flat pizza.

Off to see the Wombats this pm. Wonder if Sally knows about chook............

M. le Jaquet (Le croque vieux)

Roger in France

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 11:43:42 am »

Don't know about Zummerzet, I'm a Devonian, a Janner. But as well as clotted cream I have a taste for Cornish Pasties (my wife - from Somerset - learnt the art from my Mum). But who has ever eaten a true Cornish Pasty with a herring sticking out the end. Or a miners version of a pasty with savoury one end and jam the other. Main and dessert in one handy package.

Roger in France.

andygh

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 10:18:34 pm »

I thought the jam thing was an urban myth  :-\

OMK

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 04:53:15 am »

"Or a miner's version of a pasty with savoury one end and jam the other."

Interesting you should mention that. That chap Nicholas Crane from the 'Coast' TV series also reckons the real Cornish pasty used to have a sort of 'handle'. He didn't explain why, but my take is that is was likely the miners could hold the handle part with coal dust-riddled fingers without getting it all over the pasty itself.
Sound plausible?
By the by.... Janner? That's a new one. Grockel, yes - but never heard the term Janner before. What's the story there?

Dave J. You will have Rx'ed the PM sitting in your inbox by now, oui?

Roger in France

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 06:44:46 am »

"A Janner" from "Jan Stewer" the character in "Uncle Tom Cobbley had a grey mare".

Never heard of a handle on a pasty. Rather more likely that a pasty would have been wrapped in a cloth.

Roger in France.

Timo2

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 10:28:31 am »

Best meal break when on the road ( Long drive 400 miles plus ) ;).  was a coffee made by the hand of  " FLJ " himself O0 O0

Timo2

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 10:31:06 am »

Best meal break when on the road ( Long drive 400 miles plus ) ;).  was a coffee made by the hand of  " FLJ " himself O0 O0

Timo2

.........and the blueberry muffins...............  ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.