Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Food and Meals of our time.....  (Read 13254 times)

bigfella

Re: Great Food and Meals of our time.....
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 09:33:48 am »

Now as mentioned before nothing beats an Australian leg of Lamb. Roasted to perfection (not that pink look inside like the TV chefs) Roast potatoes and roast carrots until they start to caramelise, add some peas  then smother the lot with gravy and lashings of mint sauce. YUM. The left over lamb cold in a sandwich the next day with mint jelly. Heaven. :angel:

Now for  giving your taste buds a treat the original "original recipe" of KFC Chicken not this fatty crap that they dish up now. If only you could get those secret 11 herbs and spices and do some yourself without all the fat so as not to get your arteries clogged.

Regards David

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 07:18:34 pm »

My parents were Cornish and I've probably had more pasties than I've had hot dinners - if you'll excuse the expression! But I have to admit I've never heard of a herring in one! I learnt how to cook them from mum and dad, of course, and our familiy pasties are a 'proper job', as they might say down in the 'real' West Country - Hayle, Penzance, St Ives and other childhood haunts. Ours are also humongous - 18" long or thereabouts. Two meal's worth, usually. I've tried one of the double enders down in Helston, and it was both different and delicious, but I've never tried cooking one.

My mum also used to make what she called a 'wartime' pasty. Can't remember exactly what was in it now, but less meat (and not beef either) and more veg.

As for the 'handle' on the pasty, I'll explain. having rolled out your pastry into an oval and spread out the ingredients onto the half that's nearest to you, you fold the other half over the top and then roll and crimp a seal along the whole length of the pasty. Now that comes out as solid (well not solid but you know what I mean) pastry and miners gripped this with their dirty hands, using it as a handle.

A proper pasty has to be well up on my list of favourite meals!  O0

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

OMK

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 09:48:37 pm »

Hey, Andy -
So I wasn't too far off the mark regarding that handle, then. Thanks for the heads-up. Although, I neither have heard of the herring thing. Maybe it's one of those myths that gets bandied around from time to time... pretty much like the myth that REAL Somerset cider is made with all sorts of unwanted nasties in the brew - such as rat's tails and dead spiders, etc. Not true of course (unless, that is, you've ever seen how they make it down at farmer Mcfilthy's place just outside of Creech St Michael).

I know of a Spanish-speaking chick down Devon way who swears that the best-tasting pasty is produced in Exeter, by a chap by the name of Ivor....... nope - his surname eludes me right now. But, by all accounts, this Ivor chappie is none too popular with the Cornish folk on account of his pasties is supposedly better than the Cornish ones.
Ring any bells with you?

Being a Somersetonian, education and wisdom has always been a bit thin on the ground. But I vaguely recall a schoolyard chant regarding Uncle Tom Cobbly and all. Something about him riding a horse to Banbury Cross - but that's as far as my know-how goes.
And while were on the subject of nice nosh...
Like Bigfella, I love KFC -- just can't stand them vile things they call 'fries'.

bigfella

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 10:54:29 pm »

Fries do not exists in my vocabulary. When I go to McDonalds or any other US Burger barn and place my order I ask for chips (that is what they are) and the spotty person behind the counter who has been trained the MAC way says "you mean Fries"  "no" I say "chips" and so on.

Albion

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 07:10:15 am »

FLJ,

If you are ever looking for a good meal in London and enjoy salad niceoise try the restaurant chain "Chez Gerard". There are several of them and I believe they are spreading beyond London. My favourite was in Charlotte Street. Not only is their salad niceoise excellent but also their French cuts of beef and lamb are a treat. They claim to do the best French fries in the UK. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Roger in France.

I used to work near Holborn Tube station and there was, maybe still is, a sandwich shop in Sicilian path (might be alley or some other such thing), just up the road, they served Tuna nicoise sandwiches in a home made bread (was a huge thick thing). I would lay out the mornings paper on my desk and tuck into one of these with tie well out of the way. Was pretty messy from the olive oil, but tasted fantastic, never found anything so good since - Pretencious moi.

Also on subject of Tom Cobbley, my mother has a china ornament of tom cobbley and his gang all sat on a pub bench. 

GaryM

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 10:54:28 pm »

Hi
I read somewhere that the reason for the 'handle' on the Cornish pastie was two fold. The first keep the pastie 'clean from dirty hands', and two something to hold on to and to prevent the cyanide deposits being ingested due to the copper mine activities / operation.

Andy, I would dearly love a recipe O0 being a chef like ;)

regards
Gary

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 03:12:30 pm »

for me, it has to be Southern Fried Chicken!

however I have given tomato ketchup some zing by mixing in Woscester sause! tomato ketchup with BITE
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 04:03:54 pm »

however I have given tomato ketchup some zing by mixing in Woscester sause! tomato ketchup with BITE

So that's what keeps you up all night Ghost!  ;D

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 04:18:31 pm »

b*gg*r my secret is out, &^%^!! %^$£!! @@**!! lol,

that and coffee!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

djrobbo

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 08:35:58 pm »

Hi guys......must admit i am rather partial to k.f.c.........but i will not go near mc.crap or any other fast garbage outlet ::) As for devon and somerset , i seem to spend half my life in one or the other , just come back from a weekender in tiverton , and could not fault any of the local goodies , the food is great O0.
    there is one of them there pastie shoppe thingy's in torquay , the choice of pasties is huge , couldn't eat my way through the choices :'( had a good try though ::) O0

regards....bob.

GaryM

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 11:30:52 pm »

If you want a Cornish Pastie and are in Evesham Worcs. theres a place in the centre that claims to have them delivered in direct from Cornwall daily. 
I've tried a few - plenty of root veg, meat and pepper and what a size!

I also really like a Double flame grilled whopper with cheese - plenty of salad!

Gary

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 11:39:08 pm »

BITE???  ZING??  If you want an amusing piquancy from ketchup, add a shot of tabasco, as reccomended on the label.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

banjo

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 11:54:38 pm »

:)
The best "Big Eats" I have ever had was in Singapore, Bogis Street....
A normal thoroughfare by day but in the evening a gastronomic paradise.   The table, plates & "digging kit" were owned by one guy with a menu.  He employed several small boys, who scooted about the various stalls collecting whatever you ordered from his menu.  The adjacent tables were all owned by someone else and they  had the same set up.  It all worked on a "chit" system and they obviously had a settle up at some stage when the punters had all gone home.
There was no Health and Safety in those days but I never heard of anyone suffering lasting effects.
The best Chinese grub I have ever had.

Albion

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2008, 05:45:30 am »

The best "Big Eats" I have ever had was in Singapore, Bogis Street....
A normal thoroughfare by day but in the evening a gastronomic paradise.   The table, plates & "digging kit" were owned by one guy with a menu.  He employed several small boys, who scooted about the various stalls collecting whatever you ordered from his menu.  The adjacent tables were all owned by someone else and they  had the same set up.  It all worked on a "chit" system and they obviously had a settle up at some stage when the punters had all gone home.
There was no Health and Safety in those days but I never heard of anyone suffering lasting effects.
The best Chinese grub I have ever had.
I live in Singapore and unfortunately that bit was mostly flattened and a underground station and shopping centre built, however there are plenty of these types of eateries still here. Also they now have regular inspections and certificates issued.

We have what we call the "Supper Club" where a group of us meet every tuesday night at a bar. Each week someone gets to choose the eating place with the rule being meal should be something around S$40 a head (about 15 Quid), you could go cheaper or a bit more. Normally we pay around S$30 which is including beers, hard to beat ;)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2008, 06:08:14 pm »

The best "Big Eats" I have ever had was in Singapore
I remember on my first visit to Singapore, back in 1990, we ate at a place called the Satay Club. It was an open air place with lots of tables, and once you found somewhere to sit, someone came and took your order, and disappeared into the crowd. I don't know how they remembered where we were sitting, as the tables had no numbers, but he eventually re-appeared with plates piled high with delicious satays, and by the time we were finished, I reckon you could have had a decent bonfire with the satay sticks. The price was ridiculously cheap too. I don't think the Satay Club is there now, I didn't see any sign of it when we were in Singapore during the QE2 trip.
As far as my favourite food goes, right now it would be a big Aussie barbequed steak, medium rare,  O0 but as we are in England at the moment, that will have to wait until we get home.
Peter.

Albion

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 04:44:29 am »

I don't think the Satay Club is there now, I didn't see any sign of it when we were in Singapore during the QE2 trip.
It was moved to Clark quay, occupying a street, was ok, not like the original, however it is now only in one restaurant, expensive and poor quality :(

GaryM

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2008, 09:12:11 pm »

Well this certainly floats my boat  :D :D :D

Fillet Steak, Wild Mushroom Sauce and Chips.
The sauce contains, butter, garlic, shallots, veg stock, dry vermouth, sweet sherry, paprika, double cream and of course mushrooms and lots of them. S&P to taste.
(just as good (99% anyway) with Tesco value mushrooms.
It's what "Duff" beer is to Holmer Simpson - drrrrooooooool {-)

Gary

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 04:30:26 am »

I'll bring an American opinion to the table here & say some of the best, yet humblest, meals I've had the pleasure of enjoying is at IN-N-OUT BURGER when I am in California or Nevada.  They have BY FAR the best hamburgers, fries & shakes, & are still handmade-to-order with the same dedication to quality that this family run chain has followed since being founded in the late 40s.

For best culinary experience, it was at small outdoor restaurant on the shores of Lake Gorda outside of Brescia, Italy.  All tables were set with the finest service, but were on the grass lawn besides the lake; dinner consisted of local fresh fishes & seafood with all cooking done over an open grapevine fire & the wines weren't too shabby either.  A night to remember - fantastic! 

Chuck

"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 05:02:03 am »

My best burger ever

I was returning to Germany and stuck on Dover dock feeling peckish.

Then I say it. Barnacle Bills restaurant. They did a Barnacle Bill's 1/2 pound Cheddar Cheese Burger.

It was not two 1/4 pounders in a tall bun. It was a large 8oz pattie in a large bap with about 20z of grated Cheddar and all the trimmings.

GREAT
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 07:15:05 am »

Jeeze TT, did you have to sign a medical disclaimer & waiver before they started your order?  Sounds like that restaurant may have been a JV with Dr. Mahammod Hassan's Cardiology & Triple Bypass Clinic? {-)

I've always found it ironic where I grew up in West Virginia that it was the local doctors who were the first to buy into the McDonalds, KFC & Wendy's franchises when they started showing up in the late '60s & early '70s. But it wasn't limited to fast food - one of most prominent attorneys in our small town owned the largest beer distributorship. Talk about diversifying one's portfolio to ensure a guaranteed return!
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2008, 08:49:18 am »

Well this certainly floats my boat  :D :D :D

Fillet Steak, Wild Mushroom Sauce and Chips.
The sauce contains, butter, garlic, shallots, veg stock, dry vermouth, sweet sherry, paprika, double cream and of course mushrooms and lots of them. S&P to taste.
(just as good (99% anyway) with Tesco value mushrooms.
It's what "Duff" beer is to Holmer Simpson - drrrrooooooool {-)

Gary

Gary - here's the deal:
I'll do you a full-colour wiring diagram for your Marie Felling if you let me have the full "how to" for that sauce.
Chacun a son gout, or summat like that, innit? ;)
FLJ

GaryM

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 10:45:50 am »

FLJ it's a deal O0

Gary :)

OMK

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2008, 01:42:52 am »

bigfella

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2008, 09:35:56 am »

MMMMMMMMMMMM Burgers

I used to work at a Hamburger place called Toucan Takeaways. The bread rolls where specially made by a local baker and measured 6 inches across and the meat patty was a smidgen under that. It was a meal in its self no need for anything else. Their stake burgers where butterfly rib fillet that was tenderised and marinated in a mixture of soy and Worcestershire sauces amongst other flavors. This was a fantastic place.

Now on the subject of Hamburgers I have a special pet hate for burgers being assembled the incorrect way. I know it sounds a bit picky but, in my oppinion, when you make a burger you must assembly it in the correct order otherwise you will end up wearing most of it. First you have the bottom of the bun with your selection of sauce then the meat patty then the fried onions then the salad starting with the lettuce (not shredded but a leaf) then Tomato, beetroot, carrot and if you want to take the healthy road alfalfa then the top of the bun. Enjoy O0 O0 O0

PS The bun must be slightly toasted.

Regards David
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.