Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you make white metal look like brass?  (Read 4861 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
How do you make white metal look like brass?
« on: April 24, 2008, 06:00:48 pm »

The subject says it all. I have used Humbrol 54 brass coloured metallic paint, but it doesn't really look like brass :(

Anyone any better ideas, other than replace the fittings with Brass ones :)

Barrie

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How do you make white metal look like brass?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 07:20:06 pm »

Have a look through the Ben Ain build here:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6094.0

I first paint the white metal with a gold paint, I used Humbrol enamel, then I overpainted with Tamiya Clear acrylic Smoke, thinned down with about 30% thinners.  This then acts as a wash and fills in the shadows, adds a realistic sheen to the gold paint and gives it a more realistic patina.  You can experiment with the amount of thinners depending on the type of item being painted.

I also used exactly the same technique for the brass work on the wheels and the other bridge fittings.  I have also tried it with Humbrol copper and that also works very well.  In fact the navigation lamps were brass so I painted them with copper, then red/green enamel, then carefully scrapped some coloured enamel away to reveal the copper below and finally Tamiya Clear acrylic Smoke.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:31:07 am »

Bunkerbarge

Thanks for the tip. Not having any of the Tamiya paint to hand, I tried using some Satincote that had been contaminated with black. It did improve things somewhat and I was going to use that, but talking to my friend he claims some paint he bought in Wilkinsons creates a perfect representation of brass - so I'm going to cadge some to try  ;)

Barrie

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 10:15:46 am »

Have a shufti at the Ships Bell at the foot of the mast:

http://www.modelslipway.com/envoy_ww2/envoy_armed3.jpg

Done with Plastikote Brass paint onto Halfords white primer. Looks the badger's nadgers to me.

FLJ

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 01:39:09 pm »

Hi FLJ,

I suspect that is what my friend used - he couldn't remember the brand, just that it was a big tin for £2 in Wilkos. On that basis I reckon if I take my jar along I can fill it for free :D :o {-)

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 01:34:51 pm »

Yes!!! That's the answer. Plastikote Brass is stunning. I had already used the Humbrol and so didn't undercoat with white, but it is still pretty good.

Barrie

bigH

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 03:35:24 pm »

If you really want brass, gold or copper to shine then put a rich RED on as the undercoat  and let it dry overnight before painting the metal colour.
 The red undercoat will give the metal coating a deeper shine to it.   You can then give it (after 24hrs ) a gentle rub with a soft duster.   bigH

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 05:11:21 pm »

You could try gold leaf and tone it down ,its supprising how it will go in to small spaces and a coat of polly will seal it from water.
I have not tried it myself but have seen some bits done that way I think 9c is the darker and cheaper.
HS93

cdsc123

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 07:42:41 pm »

Brass bells are easy enough to turn and polish if you have a Dremel with the bits and bobs.
Spin the brass stock (I use a small section of brass bolt) in a proper drill chuck against a round file and then against sandpaper over your finger to get the basic shape, cut this from the stock then attack it with the Dremel to finish it off and hollow it out, finally polish with the Dremel and laquer. Wear eye protection!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.