Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for steam yacht model photos  (Read 6895 times)

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
Looking for steam yacht model photos
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:16:37 pm »

Are there any photos of R/C steam yacht models anywhere on the web? I've tried Google searching, but haven't found much other than links to sites selling the Glencoe "Corsair II" plastic kit :(

I'm looking for references + inspiration for my next R/C build - this will be "semi-freelance", based on a prototype (the 192-foot "Maid of Honour I" built in 1891) but adapted to fit the requirements of the R/C gear (it will need an extra skylight at the stern and a wider engine-house roof to provide removable covers for the rudder mechanism and battery pack) and the fact that the plans I have are very basic.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Looking for steam yacht model photos
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:41:52 pm »

Two photos of Martin Howes abd Bayliss' Topaz here.

Barrie

http://www.burtonmodelboatclub.org.uk/show_reports.htm

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 11:14:54 pm »

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 11:32:15 pm »

There is a splendid book which should be available from the liabrary called "the steam Yachts" or maybe "the great Steam yachts" with loads of photos of steam yachts owned by the Vanderbilts and similar. My favourite photo is the one of the steam yacht moored off dubrovnik where the yacht had stopped for a day or two for the owner and guests to get in a day's shooting. On thier return the ship was dressed overall (and I mean overall!!) with the day's bag - stags, hinds, boars, pheasants, partridges etc etc.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:34:39 pm »

If you want more  Topaz pictures for ideas.some close ups, also kingstonmouldings do a few hulls

peter

http://www.model-steam-boats.co.uk/topaz_navigation.htm

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 12:30:04 am »

Are there any photos of R/C steam yacht models anywhere on the web? I've tried Google searching, but haven't found much other than links to sites selling the Glencoe "Corsair II" plastic kit :(

I'm looking for references + inspiration for my next R/C build - this will be "semi-freelance", based on a prototype (the 192-foot "Maid of Honour I" built in 1891) but adapted to fit the requirements of the R/C gear (it will need an extra skylight at the stern and a wider engine-house roof to provide removable covers for the rudder mechanism and battery pack) and the fact that the plans I have are very basic.

How about this one. It was built for Lady Eaton in 1915. Was the fasest boat on the Muskoka Lakes for years. Length : 94', beam: 12', four foot prop, six foot pitch, triple expansion Polson engine. She still runs and is on Lake Muskoka, Gravenhurst, Ontario.

oldiorn

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 05:35:26 pm »

Thanks to everyone for the help and the links!
Just to clarify things, I already have the hull for this model, and have installed the R/C and running gear. It's just awaiting final "sea trials" (to check the ballast + watertightness) before I fix the deck on and start building the superstructure, fittings etc.
I've already tested it in the bath, but need to check it in a larger area of water; the neighbour's swimming pool which I usually use for testing boats is currently emptied for repairs, and I don't want to risk it in the rather muddy and deep local pond until the "seaworthiness" of the hull is fully tested.

There is a splendid book which should be available from the liabrary called "the steam Yachts" or maybe "the great Steam yachts" with loads of photos of steam yachts owned by the Vanderbilts and similar.

Is "Salt-Water Palaces" the book you're thinking of? If so, I have this book, it's where I got the photos + plans of "Maid of Honour" from. I picked this particular yacht as my subject as the book had a (basic) set of plans for it, the hull shape and length/breadth ratio is very close to the second-hand hull I have, and with an approx. 2.5 foot model hull, the scale works out at almost exactly 1/48. (The real ship is 126', not 1/192' - my mistake!)

It's a large(ish), ocean-going steam yacht, not a river steam launch like "Topaz" - but I'd definitely like to build a model steam launch one day, perhaps with a working steam plant. I have a set of plans for the launch "Eva" which is now preserved at the River & Rowing Museum, Henley on Thames. I need to find a suitable hull first, though!

Here's the plan I'm using - rather basic, but good enough for a "based on" model rather than an exact replica.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:57:17 pm »

Kingston Mouldings do a nice steam yacht hull.

Colin

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 12:51:27 am »

No, there is definitely a book with "Steam Yachts" in the title. I had it out of the Library in Farnborough Hants when we lived down South. But I do like that photo. Very handsome.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 01:46:56 am »

the above decks look similar to the Vigilant, which is still about and hoping to be restored.

http://www.vigilant.org.uk/

http://www.model-steam-boats.co.uk/Vigilant_intro.htm

Peter

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 09:42:35 am »

If anyone wants a Vigilant kit I know where there is one - unstarted - that might be for sale. PM me if interested.

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 23 queries.