Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: it gone cloudy  (Read 4276 times)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
it gone cloudy
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:31:26 pm »

hi all i have had a bit of a miss hap. I have put the dark grey down which is a halfords spray paint. This gave a very gloss/shiny finish, which i did not want. So next i put down the yellow tape to mark out the lanes. Next i brushed on an acrylic matt varnish. When i went to the model 24hr later the varnish had gone  cloudy :(.
I think the only way to fix this is to remove the yellow tape , rub the car deck down with wet and dry paper then put on a fresh coat of grey paint. Then put on new yellow lane markings. then put some varnish/lacquer . But here were i am stuck The halford lacquer is gloss and i want matt.

Any ideas on how to fix this mess or were to get a spray can of matt lacquer would be much appreciated .

john

Stavros

Re: it gone cloudy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:01:57 pm »

Right then defiantly you will have to start again by rubbung down with wet/dry.The first question is what colour are you trying to get the car deck,yes I know you have said in your posting grey but it looks rather black in the photo.
If it is Grey then ordinary grey primer will do the job if it has dried glossy then may i suggest that you have either got a faulty can or you did not shake it long enough.Have you tried it on scrap piece of plastic does it dry gloss.
if you are trying to get it Matt black then halfords also sell this.There is no problem at all in juts leaving the primer as it is and just fixing the yellow car lanes directly on this,why you need to lacquer over the top I just don't know but it is a case of each to their own.
As regards to a Matt lacquer Halfords used to do one but have now stopped and I will not reccomend any other to go over the top of this paint.As regards to the varnish going Matt it could be more than one factor involved such as temp,age of the product.

Stavros

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:08:50 pm »

Clear Lacquer needs to be sprayed at a minimum of 18'C and kept at that temp or it does have a very bad habit of going cloudy. I use the Halfords clear lacquer for my wargames models and if it goes cloudy I usually have to strip the paint off as there's nothing that can be done with it ( 28mm models with a lot of detail mean no sanding possible ). I'm lucky that I still have a few tins of lacquer in the shed in storage and can't recommend any other brand as its been years since I tried any other lacquer
Davie Tait,
Scotland

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:17:25 pm »

hi and thanks for the quick reply.
The paint is a volvo grey by halfords and is not a primer paint. This is the nearest i could find to the colour of the rear ship. I did shake it up well and sprayed in a warm room and the paint has a gloss finish to it.
So how do i go about getting a mat finish.

john

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:29:53 pm »

Right then this is simple go to your local halfords and ask plead with them to mix this in a base coat and it will dry Matt and no lacquer will be needed.If Halfords cant do it look in yellow pages for bodyshop suppliers and find your nearest Brown Bros or Autocolours any probs give me a pm and I will get it done locally for you

Brown Bros Abingdon         Abingdon, OX14 3SB. Tel: 01235 521474   
Stavros

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 10:31:51 pm »

If you will settle for a satin finish then Chestnut have just the product. Goes on fine over Halfords gloss.

http://www.chestnutproducts.co.uk/results.asp?cat=Aerosol%20Lacquers

Bob
Bob Vaughan

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:35:47 pm »

Can't see any reason why this product won,t go over Halfords products the make up of the thinners used is very compatable with their paint.

Stavros

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:39:19 pm »

thank you both for the reply.

stavros i go to halford and ask them and thanks for your help. O0

bob v thanks for link. Since it a car deck were truck go on to i would rather stick with matt. but i made a note of the product if required for futher jobs. O0

john   O0 O0 ;D

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 08:47:49 am »

I have used Humbrol Matt Cote over Halfords Plastic primer with no bad result, but this may not apply to their gloss finishes. However, its not expensive to try if you have a local model shop.

Barrie

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 09:00:30 am »

Youre right, I had forgotten the Humbrol ...cote range. I have used Humbrol Satincote over Halfords Gloss without any side effects so I assume the Mattcote will be the same. In fact I have found that with a couple of coats of Satincote as a separator I was able to use Humbrol enamel over Halfords Gloss. Make sure you give it a good stir before you use the Matt/Satincote.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 08:11:44 pm »

Had a similiar problem, only brushing matt cote varnish 50/50 cut with thinner, worked well on my Vosper, but it came up cloudy on my tug which had been sprayed green, looks terrible. I wanted the tug to look shabby but not just yet, any ideas?

Robert

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 08:16:58 pm »

Have used Humbrol matt with Halfords paint on several of my models with no bad effects.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.