Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Worlds largest cruise ship  (Read 13065 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Worlds largest cruise ship
« on: April 25, 2008, 10:19:01 am »

The world's largest cruise ship, Independence of the Seas, arrived in Southampton this morning,

Measuring 1,112ft long and weighing in at 160,000 tons, the latest addition to Royal Caribbean International's fleet of megaships will be at the centre of seven days of celebrations, including an exclusive performance by chart favourites Scouting for Girls.

The spectacular new ship - longer than three-and-a-half football pitches - is unlike any other to have operated in UK waters in both size and on-board facilities. If standing up on her bow she would dwarf Britain's tallest building, the 771ft One Canada Square at London's Canary Wharf.
advertisement

Featuring an ice rink, climbing wall and surfing simulator, the ship's Main Street - complete with bars, cafes, shops and restaurants - is longer than the pitch at the new Wembley Stadium.

Independence of the Seas can accommodate more than 4,300 guests and will undertake a summer-long programme of voyages to the Mediterranean, the Canary Islands and Ireland before leaving for the Caribbean in the winter.

Industry body the Passenger Shipping Association forecasts that 1.55million British passengers will take a cruise holiday in 2008, an increase of 14 per cent compared with last year.

Video    http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/video/video/index.var.25481.0.0.php
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Worlds largest cruise ship
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:02:01 am »

Are they paying you to do their advertising Richard ?  :D

Don

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:12:13 am »

Are they paying you to do their advertising Richard ?  :D

Don
No Don I dont even like the flaming things. Too big and not ships just floating hotels. Plus you get three of these things in on one day, disembarking and embarking you should see the flaming traffic.  >>:-( Just happen to live not far from the docks and thought it might be of interest.  ;)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 11:44:37 am »

According to the Telegraph, passengers are 'encouraged' to take part in the many on board activities by constant tannoy broadcasts.

I'd pay a lot of money for that!  (Hi de hi)

I wonder how she handles in rough weather?

Doug
Don't Assume Check

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 01:32:34 pm »

According to the Telegraph, passengers are 'encouraged' to take part in the many on board activities by constant tannoy broadcasts.

Doug
Looks like she'll fall over in a cross wind Doug. Remains to be seen.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 02:33:23 pm »

If you mated an alien spaceship with an aircraft carrier and painted the result white, you would get something that resembles the monstrosity floating block of flats thats pictured above. UGH!!!! :o

bring back the old style design of cruise liner  >>:-( O0

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 03:20:20 pm »

Doug
Looks like she'll fall over in a cross wind Doug. Remains to be seen.

Aren't the captains briefed to avoid all weather over a stiff breeze?
Don't Assume Check

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 05:59:38 pm »

The world's largest cruise ship, Independence of the Seas, arrived in Southampton this morning,

Measuring 1,112ft long and weighing in at 160,000 tons, the latest addition to Royal Caribbean International's fleet of megaships will be at the centre of seven days of celebrations, including an exclusive performance by chart favourites Scouting for Girls.

The spectacular new ship - longer than three-and-a-half football pitches - is unlike any other to have operated in UK waters in both size and on-board facilities. If standing up on her bow she would dwarf Britain's tallest building, the 771ft One Canada Square at London's Canary Wharf.
advertisement

Featuring an ice rink, climbing wall and surfing simulator, the ship's Main Street - complete with bars, cafes, shops and restaurants - is longer than the pitch at the new Wembley Stadium.

Independence of the Seas can accommodate more than 4,300 guests and will undertake a summer-long programme of voyages to the Mediterranean, the Canary Islands and Ireland before leaving for the Caribbean in the winter.

Industry body the Passenger Shipping Association forecasts that 1.55million British passengers will take a cruise holiday in 2008, an increase of 14 per cent compared with last year.

Video    http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/video/video/index.var.25481.0.0.php
I presume the "tonnage" you quote is the "gross" tonnage which is in fact Not a "ton" but a measurement of volume (100cu.ft = 1"ton") and is therefore mainly empty space...and liners/cruise ships/ferries etc have a lot of that. Be more interesting if it was the "displacement" tonnage that was quoted.
Notes from a simple seaman

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 07:36:38 pm »

I'll join the chorus of voices who don't like modern cruise ship designs. Impressive she most certainly is, but beautiful or stylish - I think not. Just have a look at the pix of the 3 Queens together. QE2 - that's style and class. QM2 is not my favourite by a long way but she's way better than QV, which is just another block of flats in Cunard livery.

Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 08:04:27 pm »

big but what about that new cruise ship there building in finland it 220 00 tones thats mad and to say ugly.

john

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 08:50:24 pm »

big but what about that new cruise ship there building in finland it 220 00 tones thats mad and to say ugly.

john

The latest RCI generation of ships is indeed 220,000 tons displacement and so will be considerably bigger than the one above.

The Genesis class of ship is going to a whole new level with areas resembling a park and all sorts of new ideas.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

nhp651

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 11:38:37 pm »

I was in Cobh ( queenstown ) Co. Cork on Wednesday, and the "Bountiful of the Seas" was tied up alongside the heritage centre which is home to the Titanic exhibition, and I thought that was a large vessel, but gawd almighty, I'd get lost on that one, never to be seen again!!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 07:31:52 pm »

Although I still cannot bring myself to like them, I am beginning to understand the reasons behind them. I think it is because they are floating hotels, but without seeing the same beach every day. No need to hire a car. Not being there long enough to get seriously miffed by "the yobs next door" sort of thing. I still have reservations about passenger reactions in the event of a "mishap".

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 08:34:43 pm »

Bryan,

Obviously things move on and I think you might be pleasantly surprised with some of the changes in the cruise industry.  I agree a lot of us, including me, have reservations as to how 2, 3 or even 4,000 passengers and crew would react in such an emergency but in the industries defence I have to say that the equipment has come a long way, such as much faster launching boats as well as fully enclosed units nowadays as well.  Also I think crew training has come on a lot in the last few years and boat drills are taken far more seriously but how effective this would be in the event I wouldn't like to say.

Trained officers is one thing but youngsters on passenger evacuation duties with english as a second language and only a couple of years out of school remains to be seen.  Also of course there have been advancements in ship construction with all passenger vessels now "Two Compartment" ships with cross flooding ducts to keep them upright as they go down.

Strangely enough though the last two recent sinkings of passenger ships both seem to have gone down with significant lists so whether there was something going on or whether any mistakes were made I couldn't say.

Take the plunge and do a cruise, you might like it!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 08:38:49 pm »

Take the plunge

That's what I'd hope to avoid  {-) {-)
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 08:48:56 pm »

A ship the size of the Genesis class will effectively swamp any port she visits if everyone goes ashore which will completely spoil the experience.

Vessels of this size should be regarded as a resort in their own right with all facilities provided on board. Fine if you like that sort of thing but in my view, cruising it is not!

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 09:31:13 pm »

these is what they reckon she will look like

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 06:32:30 pm »

Bryan,

Obviously things move on and I think you might be pleasantly surprised with some of the changes in the cruise industry.  I agree a lot of us, including me, have reservations as to how 2, 3 or even 4,000 passengers and crew would react in such an emergency but in the industries defence I have to say that the equipment has come a long way, such as much faster launching boats as well as fully enclosed units nowadays as well.  Also I think crew training has come on a lot in the last few years and boat drills are taken far more seriously but how effective this would be in the event I wouldn't like to say.

Trained officers is one thing but youngsters on passenger evacuation duties with english as a second language and only a couple of years out of school remains to be seen.  Also of course there have been advancements in ship construction with all passenger vessels now "Two Compartment" ships with cross flooding ducts to keep them upright as they go down.

Strangely enough though the last two recent sinkings of passenger ships both seem to have gone down with significant lists so whether there was something going on or whether any mistakes were made I couldn't say.

I'm sure I would love it....but on one of the "little ones" that only have 200 or 300 passengers. I like the smaller ports, I don't like the masses queing up for meals. If I want to gamble I will go (again) to Las Vegas because I loved the honesty of the phoneyness. Also, I want to be aboard a ship that looks and feels like a ship. Count me out as far as the big ones are concerned...unless you offer me a "freebie"! Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 06:57:48 pm »

In a nice kind of friendly way I would like to challenge Bunkers statement that the Genesis class is over 200,000 tons displacement. At first reading I was inclined to believe that...although horrified. A more recent post by Cos918 tells a different story. From the pics he has posted the "Freedom" class is physically not all that much smaller than the "Genesis"...although the "Genesis" has more decks and therefore "taller", i.e. more empty space  and therefore more gross tonnage. That is apparent in the other pic that does state gross tonnage. The "Freedom" is only bigger than QM2 because of more internal space. 7,000gross tons of it which equals 700,000 more cubic feet of revenue (cargo) space. Sorry, Bunker, but I just cannot believe that 220,000 tons displacement is correct...willing to be horrified and wrong (again) though!. Bryan.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 07:30:46 pm »

A quick look at "Wickie" indicates that:

Queen Mary 2: Gross Tonnage 148,000; Displacement 76,000 tons

Freedom of the Seas: Gross Tonnage 154,000; Displacement 64,000 tons

Genesis Class: Gross Tonnage 220,000; Displacement 100,000 tons

Nimitz class aircraft carrier: Displacement 101,000 tons full load!

Looks like the US "Flat Top" trumps them all as far as displacement is concerned.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 05:40:12 pm »

Bryan,

It's the "plunge" bit that worries me!

Roger in France

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 06:01:13 pm »

I agree with BY, cruising is not for me. I once went on one of those slab sided ferries which ply from Holyhead to Ireland and did not like looking down a vertical wall to the sea.

By contrast I crossed the Atlantic in 1968 on the QE. Wonderful and when everyone was being seasick I went to the swimming pool and enjoyed the water sloshing out at each end as the ship rolled. The lifeguard was bored sensless and willingly taught me to dive. So that's my claim to fame, learnt to dive on the QE in mid-Atlantic!

Roger in France.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 07:21:06 pm »

Once again on this forum we appear to have hit on a subject that is (at the least) confusing to the layman. Tonnage. The Newspapers always go for the biggest number 'cos it looks better. But they never,ever say what tonnage they are talking about.
So. Starting at the top end of the scale:- DISPLACEMENT TONNAGE is the quantity (in real tons) of water displaced by a ship when she is floating at her Load Draught. DEADWEIGHT TONNAGE is the tonnage of cargo,stores etc. that she is capable of carrying at her loaded draught. GROSS TONNAGE is a measure of space (100 c/ft per ton). NET TONNAGE is an oddball one in that it is Gross tonnage minus allowances for the engine room, crew spaces and navigational spaces. Making sense yet? It therefore follows that a "cruise liner" will have a huge "Gross Tonnage" as that space is classified as a "cargo space" (and passengers are classified as cargo..like it or not). Naval ships (the RN, anyway) are measured in Net tons as basically their draught does'nt change all that much..and they don't pay insurance either. Hope that clears things up a bit! BY.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 06:36:55 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 04:03:50 pm »

Bryan, one thing we never had to do on QE2 was queue up for food. We ate in the Mauretania restaurant, one of 5 restaurants on board, (the others are Caronia, Britannia, Queens Grill and the Princess Grill) and the lowest category (you are assigned a restaurant according to the level of your accommodation, and as we were in the "cheap seats" so to speak, we were assigned the Mauretania). The food was excellent, the service fantastic, and all table service. The Lido and the Pavilion are two additional bistro type eateries where anyone can go, but we only did so twice. We felt we would rather be served by a waiter (or waitress) than join a queue, besides, the Lido was always quite noisy. All food, wherever it was eaten, was included in the price of your ticket, and that goes for cabin service too. I don't think I would like to be on one of the new super cruise ships, with over 4000 passengers, I saw a documentary about one of them, and it looked wall to wall people. QE2 had just over 1700 passengers, with around 1000 crew, a good ratio.
Peter
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.