Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: J Class Endeavour  (Read 13379 times)

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
Re: J Class Endeavour
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 08:37:28 pm »

Thanks for that John I will start to have a look around I am looking at something 24 to 30 inchs.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

ronkh

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 09:03:54 pm »

Hello all,

Couple of photos of my yacht Britannia which is 850 m/m x 1150 high plank on frame. Unfortunately she is a static so will never see water!  Not an official J-Class but was adapted later to compete. Cant remember when but have got details somewhere. There is a company in Holland that is making (real - replica) J-Class yachts and one of them is the Endeavour and I think two more which will be completed sometime around 2010 ish. Google J-Yachts and its bound to come up. When I come back from holiday, I will put the site on here, have not got time at moment.

Ron

ronkh

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 09:12:14 am »

Meant to put on earlier that this is my first attempt at a j-class - or any type of yacht - and a lot of things I had to make myself as parts supplied were c##p. Winch etc.
Have missed some fittings I'm sure as plans were also not the best. If you can tell from these photos please let me know as I am now doing the Rainbow and want to get this correct. Thanks.

Ron.

ooby

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 03:27:39 am »

JayDee,

PM and regular email (picture) sent.

Ooby

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 01:50:35 pm »

Hello,

My J Class boat is out of commission at the moment - - in the workshop, having a new ply deck, which is to be planked, Cabins made and fitted, generally being made much more "Scale" looking.
Tearing around with a white plastic deck and no Cabins, is not on, all the "testing" has been done, now is the time to get down to making her look a lot more like the original "J Class Endeavour".

I have to admit that the "testing" was very enjoyable, was tempted to leave things as they were, as most of the Scale fittings will not be seen out in the middle of a wind swept lake - - but the boat cannot stay out there all day !!.
But approach the bank and someone is bound to say, "Oh, you have no Cabins!", I know they will !!.
So its out with the tools and such, for a good while.

John.  ok2
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
    • JOHN DOWD
Re: Apple Wood - Help Wanted
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 01:51:05 pm »

Hello Andrew.

"Hi, Jaydee, how did the hot-goo-veneer go?"

It didnt happen, I bottled out working with very thin bits of wood !!
Still trying to pick up the courage to do it, did a small test piece which looks very good, but no planking!.

I have built a scale "Park Avenue Boom", which has turned out very well, it was a real pig to make though.
Lots of the yanks make them, but they make them of solid wood, which must be too heavy.
Mine is made from 1/16th ply, with a carbon tube through the middle for added strength.
Needs filling and painting, all the fittings are done on it - - pleased with it!.

Park Avenue Booms were make to hold the bottom edge of the Mail sail in a prescribed curve, by means of small runners
and pegs.
They were around 4 1/2 feet wide, folk used to sit on them on chairs, with a table, drinking Chamapagne!,
Things you have to do when you are Rich !!.
The idea behind the wide Boom was the same as the small Wing-lets on todays airliners, it stops the air from spilling out over
 the ends of the Wing or Sail.
Makes them more efficient.
I will not be fitting the slides and pegs to my scale boom, scaling them down, there is no way to make them strong enough,
which is a shame.

John.
www.john-dowd.co.uk

MARTIN, CAN YOU MOVE THIS TO THE ENDEAVOUR THREAD!!!!!

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 05:58:08 pm »

Hello,

I posted the previous post into the wrong thread, Martin corrected my mistake!!.
These are the pictures that should have gone into the other post.
The construction of the park avenue boom.
The boom is 36 inches long, 2 1/2 inches wide, nice and light !!.

John.

amdaylight

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 08:44:13 pm »

Jay,

I am sorry I missed this thread some how. I used to own a 6 meter sailboat and my decks were 3" teak planks with a 1/2" holly wood strip in between each plank. (see diagram below) My decks did not have varnish on them they were finished with teak oil, every other week I would scrub down the deck and apply new teak oil (really hated that <*< job). Each plank was some where between 12' and 16' feet long depending where on the deck it was. There were three sets of planks from the bow to the stern with the plank ends off set by one frame in sets of four. Cleaning that deck is the one thing that I don't miss at all. The reason for teak oil over varnish is that varnish will give a very smooth deck by filling up the grain of the wood and putting a high shinny surface that you will slip on where the teak oil will shed water but not make the deck slippery by leaving the grain of the wood open, which then collects water, salt grime and seagull mess, >:-o ( So help me God I don't know why the Seagull was a protected bird, oh yea if it wasn't protected we would have shot as many of them as we could have gotten ) hence the every other week cleaning. >>:-( >>:-(

I hope this helps,

Andre
Over yonder in Portland Oregon

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 11:04:52 pm »

Hello,

Been working on a "Park Avenue Boom", finally made one at 1/20th scale!, not the easiest thing I have made, rather like making a VERY long, narrow Hull !.
Sorted out how to make the Tracks and Sliders, which control the base of the Mainsail,  - - - - -  now comes the difficult part.

How was the Mainsail fastened to the Sliders on the top of the triangular Boom ????.

The ONLY photo I can find on the Web, shows the tracks and the Sliders, BUT no picture of the Mainsail in position.
I am trying to keep the boat as true to scale as possible, so I dont want to "guess" how the Sail was connected to the Sliders.

Any offers?, obviously a photo would be the best solution, but a memory of a photo would do at a pinch !.
Done a lot of work on this Boom, would be a shame to spoil it by getting this wrong.

John.  :((  :((  :((
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.