Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scottish fuel shortage  (Read 2214 times)

chugbug

• Full Mayhemer
Scottish fuel shortage
« on: April 25, 2008, 05:06:08 pm »

Going to the Isle of Arran for three weeks at the end of the month in my motorhome. Problem, I have enough Diesel to get there but not enough to get back home.I estimate about a 550 miles round trip. Does anyone in the Ardrossan area of scotland know if the fuel shortage is going to hit hard?
I dont believe the government "xxxxx" about contingency plans,
                                                                                             :-\ Dave Gibson

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scottish fuel shortage
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 09:02:19 pm »

Today the Esso in Saltcoats High Road had 2 petrol 2 diesel pumps going, and a limit of £20 per customer. I suspect it will get worse but the thing to do will be to fill up at the last station in England that has fuel and hope to get back to it. I check this every night so pm me before you leave for the latest info if you like. Mind you Arran itself may be OK - anyone there?

Hope the holiday works out, Dave.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:20:17 pm »

You should be able to store some 'Cans' in the motorhome.  550 miles worth can't be too much.  ;)

All the best
Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 08:11:05 am »

Dont forget it is Scotland and the North of England. :(
..well can you land on this?

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 09:04:18 am »

Helllo all, I'd say there is a serious amount of scaremongering going on. The summer of discontent just does not have the same ring to it. Ok there may be short term shortages because of panic buying but I reckon the islands will be better off than the mainland. If they are as prepapred as we are here in Shetland the fuel comes in bulk by sea and there is sufficient storage capacity to allow for normal disruption by weather or such like. I don't know if Arran is like this but I'd presume there to be storage on there. One thing I will say Dave, is fill the motorhome as often as you can on the way to the South of Scotland (yes, I did mean that  ;D ) wherever you stop for a break on the drive North. It may be a nuisance but in the end worth the peace of mind of a full tank. It'll be interesting to see just how much the diesel costs are too. We are currently paying £1.32.9/L diesel in Lerwick

Have a good holiday on Arran a lovely island well worth spending time on.

cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

chugbug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 09:57:31 am »

Hello all,thanks for the replies and advice,will hope there are stocks of Diesel on Arran. I have been going to Scotland for more years than I care to remember.Would not think about going south anymore. Lots of happy memories but will give you just one. On Skye many moons ago we had a Petrol Caravette. Found a little shop with a single petrol pump. We went into the shop and all conversation stopped(they were speaking Gaelic) asked for some Petrol and as we were going outside the conversation started again.The Lady filled our tank with a hand crank which I`d never seen before and this time on going back into the shop I said good morning to all present and was regaled with replies. Lesson learned.
                                                                                                                                                                  Dave Gibson.

wbeedie

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 05:31:03 pm »

Most of the islands are limiting to £20 at one go but as Hamish says the islands generally have more than enough in storage ,unfortunately as Skye now has the bridge we get our fuel tankered in from Inverness , also most of the superstores do not get there fuel from Grangemouth but from down south so they say it wont bother them either ,hope you get good weather for your trip as we have had TWO whole glorious weeks of sunshine lol O0

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 07:32:09 pm »

Its not just scotland now ,the garage i go to in liverpool, huntscross said they were about to run out of normal petrol and diesel at about 10 this morning, they said soon just optimax left

They say no shortage on the news , but theres so many people filling up there lined up down the road on every petrol station, took me 1/2 an hour to get in the garage for the optimax, most pumps run out apart from optimax in the 2 ive been in today
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.