Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NIGHTIME READING  (Read 6862 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
NIGHTIME READING
« on: April 26, 2008, 09:06:51 pm »

Hi All

Just wondering; does anyone know of any Novels, fact or fiction books which cover the operations of the Air Sea Rescue lads and their launches during World War 2 and after the War.

Or indeed any other good books with regard to maritime adventures etc., during World War 2.

At present - I have just re-read Motor Gunboat 658 by L.C. Reynolds and I also have the book Flag 4 which I am going to begin to read next.

Any other books we can think of, or indeed know of  ::)

Also, what are you reading at the moment.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: NIGHTIME READING
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:30:59 pm »

I liked the Douglas Reeman books. http://www.douglasreeman.com/
Another great book I read  was "Out Sweeps!" by LUND Paul & LUDLAM Harry - http://www.biblioz.com/lp25763771904_468
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 09:33:23 pm »

Here you are John. Try Amazon. O0

The RAF Air Sea Rescue Service 1918-1986 by Jon Sutherland and Diane Canwell

Air-Sea Rescue in World War Two: Story of the Royal Navy Rescue Motor Launches (Aviation) by Alan Rowe and Andy Andrews

Shot Down and in the Drink: True Stories of RAF and Commonwealth Aircrews Saved from the Sea in WWII by Graham Pitchfork

Sky-blue Sailor by Bill Hawkins

Shot Down and In The Drink: RAF and Commonwealth Aircrews Saved from the Sea, 1939-1945 by Graham Pitchfork
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 10:30:06 pm »

Hello all, just finished reading about the Northern Patrol during both conflicts. When i find it later I'll get all of the details for you. Excellent for those who are interested in the Isles to the North of Scotland.

cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 11:10:13 pm »

jim, is that the book that mentions a trawler called Davy which had poor sea keeping qualities in heavy head winds. if so, I've been after the title of the book for years, could you let me know what it is please.cheers,neil.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 11:15:19 pm »

How about "The Sea Shall Not Have Them" by John Harris. Certainly one of the best novels about ASR - and a pretty good film, too.

Rick

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 12:48:06 am »

Rick, I'll second that. Cracking book.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 01:22:31 am »

These two are worth a read. "The Little Ships" by Gordon Holman is about the role and exploits of the WW2 MGB and MTB fleets and, for a different perspective of the WW2 submarine war, "The Golden Horseshoe" by Terence Robertson tells the story of U Boat ace Otto Kretschmer and U99.

I think I have them both and they may be somewhere in my loft, but don't ask me where. My copy of The Little Ships is autographed by one of the MGB skippers, so I hope it's there. If not I may have to buy them again! Golden Horsehoe is on Amazon but Little Ships is only available from antique book sellers.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 08:37:21 am »

Hello all, as promised the details. "The North Atlantic Front" sub-titled "The Northern Isles at War" by James Miller published by Birlinn
 www.birlinn.co.uk.  ISBN 1 84341 011 7

This book is about the strategic influence that the isles linking Europe to North America played in both WW's. The book recounts the operations of the Royal Navy and its allies sought to contain the German threat of the U-boats. It emphasises the lonely patrols and the unremitting ways in which the combined services tried to contain the German fleets within the North Sea and also the clandestine operations to occupied Norway. It aslo gives a sense of the political turmoil within Greenland, Iceland and the Faroes all of which were Crown Territories of Demnmark. There are also over 100 ilustrations and photographs from various collections both private and th Imperial War Museum.

Neil, I'm  sorry to say but this is not the book you are looking for. If you can give me some more info then I'll ask my father who shares a similar interest as he may have what you are seeking.

cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 09:30:15 am »

While we're on the subject of warfare can anyone tell me how I can obtain more info about my Grandfather who was a Sergeant Flight Mechanic with the RFC in 1914-8.  I still have in my possession his log of servicing the various types of aircraft used then and his tool box, inscribed 'Arras 1916'.  It was his job to repair any damage to the planes including test-flying.  Part of the job entailed replacing struts and spars.
 I suppose it was a case of 'You mended it, you fly it'!  No parachutes either.  He still had a couple of mortar shells in his loft back in the fifties when I was a kid.  Hand thrown in those days...........

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 09:51:25 am »

While we're on the subject of warfare can anyone tell me how I can obtain more info about my Grandfather who was a Sergeant Flight Mechanic with the RFC in 1914-8. 

I would also be interested in where the RFC records are kept. I tied to find details of my grandfather who served in the RFC in 1917-18, but failed. He was also in maintenance as far as I know, but only made Corporal. If you pm me I have a couple of photos that may be of interest.

Barrie

Roger in France

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 09:53:02 am »

KITEMAN: Several genealogy sites give access to military records. If you do not have access (most are subscription only) send me a PM with your grandfather's details and I will see what I can do.

Roger in France.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 11:55:26 am »

there are books hear you may like to try and find.

http://www.asrmcs-club.com/welcome.htm

peter

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 02:56:46 pm »

Many thanks for your replies, guys, I shall start chasing around for some answers.

............. O0 O0 ;)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 03:01:09 pm »

http://www.asrmcs-club.com/welcome.htm

sorry on the above link go to "information" the books are there

peter

barriew  this is a good start

http://www.geocities.com/aj_p_joyce/

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 05:48:05 pm »

May be hard to find but the books (novels) by Jan de Hartog are possibly the best written and authentic books written about WW2 tugs and rescue boats ever written.
Notes from a simple seaman

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 06:04:55 pm »

Although long out of print, the works of Ewart Brookes are well worth a read. An author who wrote about a subject he knew about.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 08:01:36 pm »

While we're on the subject of warfare can anyone tell me how I can obtain more info about my Grandfather who was a Sergeant Flight Mechanic with the RFC in 1914-8. 

I would also be interested in where the RFC records are kept. I tied to find details of my grandfather who served in the RFC in 1917-18, but failed. He was also in maintenance as far as I know, but only made Corporal. If you pm me I have a couple of photos that may be of interest.

Barrie
Try the National Records Office at Kew...everything we had was sent to them.
Notes from a simple seaman

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 08:03:47 pm »

Hi there Dicky, my son has just been nominated to purchase this book for my birthday for me - that is one present....erm now what can the Mrs buy me  {-)

The RAF Air Sea Rescue Service 1918-1986 by Jon Sutherland and Diane Canwell

As far as Military Records go; when I applied for my late dad's Military Records I applied to:- Army Personnel Centre, Historical Disclosures, HQ Secretariat, Mail Point 400, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX - and I found they were helpful.  However, 30 quid approximately, they charged and I received about 7 x A4 size 'poorly copied' sheets back.   Not much information on them, but it is a start at least I know my dear dad was based in Shetland during WWII.

Also, he spent some time in India - 1945/46 - but dont know much about his time there.  

He very rarely spoke of much about the war and it is very hard going.  

Here, though are 3 more addresses which I have, and they may be of some help to you:

National Archives
Ruskin Avenue
Kew Richmond
Surrey
TW9 4DU
Telephone: 020 8876 3444
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Imperial War Museum
Lambeth Road
LONDON
SE1 6HZ
Telephone: 020 7416 5000
www.iwm.org.uk

MOD Medical Office
Building 250
RAF Innsworth
Gloucester
GL3 1HW
Telephone: 01452 712612
Extension 8200/8149

John

Roger in France

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 08:17:45 pm »

For the obvious reason of the sheer enormity of requests for research received, many record holders will not undertake searches or if they do they will charge a significant fee without any guarantee of the quality of what they copy. They will also require some very specific identification details to trace the individual, some of them may be the very details you are seeking!

I obtained a long deceased uncle's War Record from the Canadian Archives. The note of his death and closure of the records gave a quite different cause of death from his civilian death certificate.

Most of the records I received consisted of page after page of his pay details.

The quality of the copies and the copying was very poor.

Roger in France.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 08:29:16 pm »

Hi there Roger,

yes, I forgot to mention that - I had to send proof of kinship, Death Certificate & etc. at first and then I received correspondence to tell me there would be a charge and this still would not guarantee any good useful information from them.   What we really need, as far as I was concerned, is a 'Code book' because on a lot of the records I received back - to give you an example - there were things stated like;
posted to K Coy, RASC etc.   well now I know K Coy - to be K Company, Royal Army Service Corps, BUT, it also says PtII 193 Det K.....

so it is confusing reading.

I envisaged receiving a professionally prepared document to which a person with very little Army terminology could easily understand - but - no ...... still it does make good experience and good fun too trying to decipher all those codes and hidden messages.

aye
john e
bluebird

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 08:36:22 pm »

I echo Roger's experiences. I wanted my Grandfather's birth certificate to determine my Great Grandmother's maiden name having been unable to chase down her marriage certificate. Even though I pointed the records office to the register, page and line they were unable to find it without my Grandmother's maiden name - Catch 22 esque. To top it off, a UK goverment department then charged me in Euros  >>:-(

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 10:23:18 pm »

Svetlana Alexeivich - "Voices from Chernobyl", an Oral account of a nuclear disaster.

peoples accounts of what happenned and how loved ones died of radiation poisoning.

Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Roger in France

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 06:20:52 am »

I think I will give "Voices from Chernobyl" a miss at bed time!

But well worth a listen in the stark light of day.

Roger in France.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 10:28:13 am »

Woe there Ghosty I wonder if you glow at night cos all your models seem to be radiation carriers and do you own a DELOREAN MOTOR that runs on Plutoneum??  :D

aye
john e
bluebird
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.