Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Boat Transport Trolley  (Read 40492 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Re: Boat Transport Trolley
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 12:04:52 am »

your right Kiteman1 ,we use the braided nylon flat band that comes in to the port as strops ,
with a loop at either end hooked over a short length of dowel (broom handle) and some lead strips in the botom they make great slings for launching and retrieving of your favorite craft .there is an abundent suply of this stuff if any one would like some ,its about 1"wide, 1/8" thick  and normaly about 3m long, lifting capacity about  500kg so it sould handle even the largest boats(thats models that fit in a car ,i have seen that lifeboat on here).
I dont think so catengineman  it's a long way down there   O0 .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

OMK

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 03:03:10 am »

Tug-Ken, neat idea posting this one. I like what you built there. Thing is, the pond from my place is but a few sheep fields away and doesn't really justify taking the car. Doing it by bike is a load more practical for me, so I'm aiming this particular question at Portside...

Portside, that is one heck of a neat contraption you got there. I love it already.
Can I ask you a question?
If I were to build one the same, how would I, or more to the point, how did you connect the trailer itself to the bike?
Where it's connected just beneath the seat, what did you do there? What parts did you use? Where do you get them?
What did you do to get it to pivot?

Roger in France

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 06:20:49 am »

I think we are seeing some good examples of boat transport trolleys here, which is what this thread is about. I guess everyone has seen and used straps to lower a boat into the water when you have arrived at the pond. However, this is about the overland journey and the thread could be usefully extended into getting a large and heavy boat launched and recovered.

I am experimenting with plastic plumbing pipe and the many joints and fittings available. This will provide both a transportation trolley and a submersible launch/recovery tool. It will not corrode but is strong and light to use. Something like a sack truck or "diable" as they are called in France. I am trying to arrange for the transportation wheels to be changed in position to provide a pivot point for lowering down the pond bank. I will share my ideas after some further experimentation - it looks too Heath Robinson at the moment!

What I really want is a transportable crane which lifts the boat into the car, lifts it out and places the boat on the water. However, I think that would need towing behind the car and be more complex than practical. I just love setting out a problem and inventing a solution. The fact that it takes hours and could probably have been resolved more simply and quickly does not seem to deter me!

I must say that I have been caused to rethink by catengineman's connection to deck fittings, great idea that.

Roger in France.

catengineman

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 10:17:37 am »

Hi Roger in France,
You mention that you would like to be able to lift vessel out of car onto transport then into water,

If I may help with the concept could you assist with some information like is the vehicle in question a hatch or ? weight and type of vessel.
I have a few brain cells jumping up and down waitting to be used.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 10:24:16 am »

Always glad to help PMK.
The trailer is made from box section ,the type used to make office furniture ,welded into a rectangular frame with a couple of braces for support .And the draw bar is the same box type but mine is slipped in another box to allow the draw bar to be extended ,also the wheels are on a pivoting axle with shocks so it can be flipped over and the axle moved to the back of the trailer.
the coupling is a home made ,see photo.

and the fitting for the bike is from one of thoes childrens towing bikes .

I bought this one for about a tenner from my local shop, if you want some more photos of the build i can post them for you .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Roger in France

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 10:58:23 am »

Hi catengineman,

Cars are currently a hatchback Renault "Espace" plenty of room or a Renault "Kangoo"slightly less space but again a hatchback. I also have a good car trailer which could be used and may even buy a cheap van one day.

I am thinking about lifting heavy tugs and merchant ships. In some the large batteries can be removed but I am setting myself the parameters of 50kg. in weight, 2m. in length, by 50cm. wide, height 1m.

My idea is to have a transporter/launcher which will accept the appropriate cradle for different vessels.

All (polite) suggestions will be well received.

Roger in France.

Roger in France.

catengineman

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 11:08:52 am »

Thank you Roger in France,

Brain cell in gear Await momentum from muscles   {-)

R,

catengineman

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 06:57:17 pm »

As a rough idea Roger in France

Would this be the sort of thing you were thinking of if it was made in Aluminium Alloy it would be light and manageable I think.

Rough idea,

In one corner of a trailer mount a tubular post that can pivot (base bearing may be required) [the height of this post is not stated] The top of this post there would be a pivot point and strengthened with compensating plates. This would support a section of *Boom*
The boom is telescopic by means of one tube sliding inside the other, locking at various extension lengths via “R” pin and holes drilled through both tubes. The end of the larger boom would have a small sheave (roller) this would be for a wire (rope) to travel on from a small boat winch affixed to the up-stand post around the sheave and then back to the up-stand, giving lifting/lowering control of the boom.
The end of the inner boom section would have an eye for connecting a swivel.
In turn this swivel would be connected to a scissor type spreader beam, at the end of each beam there would be hooks for the attachment of webbing straps which would be lengthened or shortened depending on vessel to be lifted.
The up-stand to boom pivot point should be constructed so that the boom would lower fully and that the boom would then lay parallel to the up-stand. Having removed and *shut* the scissor spreader the boom and up-stand could be lifted out of its pivot from the trailer and stowed for transport.

Roger in France

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 07:11:03 pm »

I like it! Thanks. Attaching it to the trailer makes a lot of sense.

I was thinking of a crane on a dolly so I could load the boat from the car or trailer and trundle it to the pond side. However, there is the problem of stability which requires a very heavy base...then I need a crane to pick that up......

OK off to the workshop. But don't hold your breath as this is Project 99!

Roger.

catengineman

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 07:34:22 pm »

Just wish I was on a certain vessel right now then I could have the required tubes just laying there wanting to be used {-)
But alas I no longer work for that company

OMK

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2008, 10:27:41 pm »

Thanks, Portside. Your photos speak a whole volume.
Ten quid is an affordable work-around regarding fixing the trailer to the bike. I'm in town tomorrow so I'll check the local Halfords.
Just the pivot was throwing me - the rest would be reasonably simple to codge together. Like Roger, I'm toying with the idea of lightweight plumbing. Only in my case it's cheaper to make the framework from plastic electrical conduits. I'm not sure if the plastic would be strong enough at this point, whereas 20mm steel conduits would certainly give it the needed strength. But then there is the weight factor.

Anyway, you've gave me mucho food for thought.
Thanks again for your help on this.

Oh, nearly forgot....
Can you tell you some more about your wheels (you mentioned something about shocks). Can you tell me where I might get them? Any chance of a picture of what you did there?

lotsaboats

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 05:26:32 am »

This is similar to yours PortsideII

Converted from a kiddie carrier for bikes.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 11:42:09 am »

Nice to revive this subject as many might not have seen it.   :-))

Come on everyone, lets see how you transport your pride and joy.

I have updated my trolley, on acquiring a new set of wheels. I used it last Sunday and found that solid wheels are not really the thing for concrete paths. It was all vibrations and noise. It worked OK on the grass  (which was wet !!)  so roll on summer.

I have cut down all my boat stands widths to accommodate fitting any one in. The handle folds over for transport in the car and there's room for the transmitter and stuff at one end of the floor.

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 11:51:35 pm »

Needed something "cheap n cheerful" for my 1/12th scale mersey.

£10 folding golf trolley secondhand  off ebay and a quick knocked together wooden carry frame, thats easily unclipped from the trolley to fit in the car, the wheels unclipoff the trolley also for further compactness.

The boat is virtually 4ft long, the trolley has a wide wheelbase, so very stable, wide tyres for wet/soggy ground, not a problemo.

plus, adapt a different carry frame and its easy enough to fit another boat instead.

its not just designed for one boat only, the hull web straps easily shape to fit any hull

The boat pictures only has a single web strap securing it, this was for demo only, it will normally use 2 as a minimum.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

brianB6

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2011, 05:56:23 am »

My baby rides in sprung comfort.  ok2
I adapted an old pram my daughter was throwing out.
The 'cradle' clamps onto the cutouts in the MDF board and the pram can be folded to go in the car boot whilst the boat rides on the back seat, secured by a seat belt of course.  :police:

tugboyben

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 11:17:29 am »

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 06:54:25 pm »

This is my main boat transport,  I load my models inside my garage with a block and tackle, so no lifting at all, then hitch to my car,  drive to lake, reverse trailer into water, lift model over rear of trailer into water, ps  i only need  stabilizer if lifting model  to right of trailer to prevent overturning it  MH

Patrick Henry

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2011, 08:31:01 am »

My Thunder Tiger Neptune came supplied with a clip on/clip off stainless steel carry handle. Just clip it into two of the free flood slots where it attaches to two points on the internal chassis, carry it down to the lake, slip it into the water and wiggle the handle out...simples.

MichaelK

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2011, 05:46:47 am »

Hi
My boat buggy is almost identical to BrianB6's.
Even looks like the same brand!!
I took off the tray at the bottom, cut off the braking mechanism, and bolted my old and well used MDF building board to the two axles,
I can now carry 2 boats in their transport cases, with tools , lunch box etc sitting on top.
And it all fits into tha back of a Toyota Corolla (Conquest?)
My darling wife picked up 2 identical prams during a council collection, so I sold the good one and kept the average one.
Mick

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2011, 01:37:32 pm »

Yes Mayhemmers

Lets have some ideas for dealing with drop keeled boats as well.

Transportation, and launch and recovery

This trolley was designed and to cater for  movements betwen car and waterside and for launching/retieval of drop keeled and roundbilge/hard chine models via both sloping  and hard edged water- side banking.

It's now several years old  -and still going strong - and was very cheap to fabricate using 15mm and 22mm copper tubing, a few 'Yorkshire' pipe fittings (courtesy B & Q),
6mm studding (for the axle), surplus pipe insulation and a pair of recycled Bar -B -Que wheels.

Random holes were drilled in both the 'wetted' part of the trolley and the wheel treads to facilitate quick drainage following immersion.
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

MichaelK

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2011, 06:49:56 am »

Pretty Flash O0 using  :police: copper!
Mick

ben hall

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 08:40:08 pm »

i use a two seater child pram that is just the metal frame              old lady shopping bag again ramee only and my bike trailer   +   skate board with rope (only if small model)

catengineman

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2012, 08:54:56 pm »

Looking back through this thread to see the various modes I note a trailer for transport.
Further back I see my post with a rough sketch of very similar idea but note that MY name is listed as GUEST ?

Further back and there is my Tito with the trolley but now I have Tito and another similar size tug I am going to have to rethink my transport requirements

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 06:49:10 pm »

Made this simple but useful if you cant Kneel lifts  out of  PVC overflow pipe and connetors . The boat sits on the  weee green stand and I just slip the lifts over either end in or out of the water.Granted she aint al that heavy  but you could use bigger pipe if needed

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2016, 06:25:38 pm »

This is my trolley for transporting my DDG 113 Uss John Finn.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.