Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI SHOUT  (Read 5251 times)

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
RNLI SHOUT
« on: April 28, 2008, 09:30:28 am »

Couple of shots from a few weeks ago  when we had the snow  thought they were worth sharing.

the Quote is from the Shoreham lifeboat site worth a visit some good videos

06.04.08 10:38
In heavy snow and very poor visibility, the ILB was launched to a small day boat lost off Shoreham. The craft was poorly equipped with no working GPS, or radio, and only a fading mobile phone which they used to contact the coastguard.
Having reached the given position the casualty was not to be found, so the ALB was then launched to carry out a search. The ILB returned to harbour.

Having located the casualty and taken 2 crew aboard, the ALB commenced a tow back to Shoreham. The crew were then re-tasked to search for an open fishing boat lost, around 2 miles SE of the entrance. The occupants were struggling with a malfunctioning compass and had become disorientated.

The ILB was therefore re-launched to take over the original tow, and the ALB commenced a search for the second missing vessel.

Upon locating the second vessel the lifeboat towed her and her crew back to Shoreham, and the ILB was launched for a third time to take the boat through the locks.

The rescued casualties were suffering from extreme cold and in some cases seasickness, but were otherwise uninjured.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RNLI SHOUT
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:17:44 am »

It beggars belief that people go out in these conditions and need to be rescued - but they do.

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 01:30:23 pm »

It must be the "It Will Never Happen To Me Syndrome". Over the years I have ceased to be amazed what the foolhardy go to sea in and when. The last thing they think about is the rescue services which risk life and limb to save folk from their own stupidity.

Well done, yet again, the RNLI.

It does not of course just apply to boating. I have seen cars, caravans, m/bikes and bikes used in conditions which were unbelievable.

Ignorance may be bliss but not for the sweeper uppers.

Roger in France.

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 08:40:54 pm »

It would be really interesting to find out whether there is an automatic requirement for a transponder or GPS device to be carried by all sea-going vessels to save the rescue services a lot of hassle.  Surely a utility version of these could be sold at a reasonable price.  After all, you can't put a price on a life.

Has anyone an opinion on the my comments.............??

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 08:55:49 pm »

There is no requirement to take anything to sea with you in a small boat.

The (very strong) recommendation is a set of flares and a VHF radio. The radio is better than a mobile phone as the Coastguard and RNLI can take a directional fix on the signal.

Obviously a GPS is valuable too but, in an emergency situation, trying to read off the Lat and Long accurately could be a bit problematical!

Colin

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 08:59:48 pm »

Hello all, isn't it a case of Global Maritime Distress Safety System (GMDSS) being well within the reach of every boater who has any sense of survuval. There are admittedly the boaters who have no regard for their or others safety. GMDSS is a releiable system which takes care of giving an accurate position and Man overBoard situatuons too.

cheers

Jim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Maritime_Distress_Safety_System
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 09:13:34 pm »

Jim,

That's correct up to a point. All new "fixed" VHF sets have to be DSC GMDSS specification (DSC=Digital Selective Calling) which means that there is a big red button you can push which will take your current location from the GPS (if you have one connected!) and transmit it to the rescue authorities. Prices start at around £100 for the radio alone. There is no such requirement for hand held VHF sets which are all that many small boats will have and of course there are thousands of older boats with perfectly functional fixed VHF sets without the DSC function.

Unfortunately there are still too many "casual" sailors who are happy to put to sea without lifejackets and just a mobile phone.

Colin

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 09:58:06 pm »

Couple of shots from a few weeks ago  when we had the snow  thought they were worth sharing.

the Quote is from the Shoreham lifeboat site worth a visit some good videos

06.04.08 10:38
In heavy snow and very poor visibility, the ILB was launched to a small day boat lost off Shoreham. The craft was poorly equipped with no working GPS, or radio, and only a fading mobile phone which they used to contact the coastguard.
Having reached the given position the casualty was not to be found, so the ALB was then launched to carry out a search. The ILB returned to harbour.

Having located the casualty and taken 2 crew aboard, the ALB commenced a tow back to Shoreham. The crew were then re-tasked to search for an open fishing boat lost, around 2 miles SE of the entrance. The occupants were struggling with a malfunctioning compass and had become disorientated.

The ILB was therefore re-launched to take over the original tow, and the ALB commenced a search for the second missing vessel.

Upon locating the second vessel the lifeboat towed her and her crew back to Shoreham, and the ILB was launched for a third time to take the boat through the locks.

The rescued casualties were suffering from extreme cold and in some cases seasickness, but were otherwise uninjured.

The men and women of the RNLI are real heros imo.

catengineman

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 10:13:52 pm »

The men and women of the RNLI are real heros imo.
[/quote]

I second that and agree whole heartedly

Captain Jack

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 11:40:43 pm »

Some info please from my friends across the pond. Is the RNLI in fact the UK version of our US Coast Guard?
 Are they government funded, or by private donations? I was for a time a member of the Coast Guard Auxilliary here in the U.S. We are a volunteer organisation, supported by the active duty Coast Guard. We used our own vessels for patrols and rescues. The goverment did however reimburse our fuel, and supplies. We trained with the Coasties, and upon meeting all the same requirements they did, we were authorised to serve as coxswains aboard government vessels. I find the RNLI to be a very interesting concept. Now days, the Coast Guard will only respond if your vessel is in danger of life or limb. If you simply break down, they will dispatch a commercial salvage company to tow you in. The financial burden of being towed in by these operators is of course staggering. The Brits seem to take great pride in their local RNLI operators, and rightly so. Any information you might share would be greatly apreciated.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:51:32 pm »

The RNLI is completely independent of Government, is funded entirely by voluntary donations and is very proud to be so. It works alongside the Government Maritime and Coastguard Agency and its Irish equivalent to provide maritime rescue services around the British and Irish coastlines. More info on their website here: http://www.rnli.org.uk/

The RNLI are entitled to charge for salvage services but will never do so in rescue situations.

I think it is true to say that most people over here regard the RNLI with great affection and a huge amount of respect and admiration. Many of the people on this site are supporters including myself.

Colin

catengineman

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 11:56:32 pm »

Here we have
The coast guard
http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-home

and The RNLI
http://www.rnli.org.uk/

as you may see one is 'Gov' run the other is charity run relying on donations to survive  >>:-(    its these chaps I support at every opportunity (I may need them one day)

pip'd me to the post Colin
R,

Captain Jack

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 01:33:14 am »

An awesome concept, and very noble indeed! So, the crew members are volunteers, and not paid?

Roger in France

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 07:51:39 am »

Volunteers but paid a small fee for training and when called out. They are usually experienced mariners from the local community where it is an honour to serve. The boats are sometimes launched from land or may be moored in harbour and are superbly maintained and the crew is well turned out (sorry, uniformed, for the foreigners!). The charity is actually very wealthy and administers its funds well which says much about the great support the British public provide so willingly.

There are many model boat clubs who hold regattas and give the money raised to the local lifeboat.

If you want to know more there are several good books which tell of the achievements and practises of the RNLI.

Roger in France.

Workboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 09:35:14 am »

Don't forget all the other sea rescue volunteer services local to me is Humber rescue they to rely on donations and volunteers to run it and have saved many lives in the past see there web page for details.

Roger in France

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 10:42:40 am »

For those interested, the French lifeboat service "Societe National des Sauveteurs en Mer" is also voluntary. They gain 65% of their income from the public and 35% from the Government.

I saw a lifeboat in for maintenance recently and she certainly needed it, I doubt that they are as smart as the RNLI. I will publish some photographs on Mayhem soon. They have also just released a new book of illustrated post cards which I have ordered and so I will try to share some pictures when I receive it.

There is an excellent web site at www.snsm.net with a small part in English.

Roger in France.

Roger in France

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 10:44:42 am »

CONTINUING FROM LAST POST:

I meant to say that SNSM have an interesting mission statement which includes, "....that sea water shall not again taste tears".

Roger in France.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 01:03:45 pm »

Do you remember this idiot.

From BBC News
Thursday, 10 August, 2000, 12:23 GMT 13:23 UK
Action sought against 'irresponsible' sailor

Eric Abbott has exasperated the coastguard service

"Exasperated" coastguards are investigating whether they can take action against an amateur sailor who has had to be rescued from the Irish Sea seven times in the past year.
The latest rescue operation in the Rhyl Estuary on Thursday morning came just 48 hours after Eric Abbott had radioed for help for the sixth time.

Coastguard and Marine Safety Agency 
The 56-year-old, from Northwich in Cheshire, uses a 1997 copy of the AA Road Atlas to sail across the Irish Sea and has admitted on several occasions that he does not know where he is.

A spokesperson for Holyhead Coastguard said Mr Abbott radioed an SOS call to Holyhead coastguard at 0819 BST on Thursday to say he was having trouble bringing his boat into the estuary.

A Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) boat was sent to his rescue but by the time they arrived Mr Abbott had run aground.

Just 48 hours earlier lifeboat crews had spent nearly an hour trying to locate Mr Abbott's 24ft home-made yacht after he radioed for help during a trip from Howth, near Dublin, to Amlwch in Anglesey.

Mr Abbott, who said he enjoyed going out to sea alone to "find himself", has no official navigation system on his boat - named Plus VAT as a protest against tax.

The Coastguard and Maritime Agency, who said Mr Abbott had cost lifeboat services an estimated £30,000, have pleaded with him to equip himself with proper sea charts.

A spokesperson for the agency said: "Yet again, Mr Abbott failed to file a traffic report to us before setting sail, which is what any skipper knows he should do.

"You would think after being rescued for another time and after being given a stern talking to he would not go to sea again.

"This man is irresponsible and we are investigating to see if there is anything we can do.

"He should think about the cost, because launching a fully manned lifeboat is an expensive operation and, of course, he could be putting the lives of others at risk."

He added: "Coastguard officers all over the UK are having to nanny him from port to port, and he has been given a speech about navigation, but he doesn't seem to take it seriously."

Holyhead coastguard has co-ordinated six rescues but it has emerged that lifeboat crews from Liverpool, Belfast and Milford Haven have also had to come to his aid.

Mr Abbott began building his yacht 18 years ago when he lost his job as a painter.

He first set sail from Rhyl, north Wales, in July last year, blaming Margaret Thatcher and Chancellor Gordon Brown for forcing him out to sea.

When you are out there on your own, the Irish Sea can be quite a big place

Eric Abbott 
"I am a novice, but I love sailing - it is a tremendous escape," Mr Abbott said.

"I suppose the lifeboat service in the UK and in Ireland may be a bit fed up with me, but really I never mean to get into trouble.

"Some people may hammer me for not doing this and that.

"When you are out there on your own, the Irish Sea can be quite a big place. I have one map but it isn't that detailed.

"If I had the money, I would donate some to the RNLI, but the only thing I can do as a thank you gesture is include them in my will."

Holyhead watch manager Geoff Lunt said coastguards were increasingly "exasperated" with Mr Abbott but nothing could be done to prevent him from going out to sea.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 05:34:43 pm »

I believe that, unlike the RNLI, the SNSM do charge you for being rescued/towed in.

As Workboat says, we should not forget the independent voluntary groups of which there are several around the coast. I am also in awe of the skills displayed by the helicopter rescue crews that work with the rescue services. They are of course funded by the Government which usually appears to be more interested in saving money than in doing the job itself. Only recently they managed to trigger a strike by the Marine and Coastguard Agency in respect of non essential services. Wonderful for morale....

Colin

Captain Jack

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 10:11:22 pm »

The US Coast Guard can and will charge incompetent boaters. Many will leave port with nothing more than a cell phone for communication, which of course only works for a mile or so offshore, I have towed
 vessels with no chart, much less a compass, no life saving devices, no means of signaling, ect, ect. Many times, the "skipper" was as much as forty miles out to sea in a lake type vessel with his entire family aboard. Seems they didn't even bother to take drinking water aboard before departing. Of course they were lost. If not for the chance of a supply boat, or other merchantman passing datum along to us, they would all have perished before we ever knew they were adrift. In one case, a family of five with an infant, and not so much as a drop of water or food aboard, adrift for three days when we were dispatched to their coordinates by a passing fisherman. T'is ashame that no license to operate a pleasure boat is required here either!!!!

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 11:42:55 am »

Perhaps there should be a 'there but for the grace of god' category in the Darwin awards. It seems it would be closely contested.

In my youth, I've brought people off Dartmoor in high heels (not the men) no map, compass or waterproofs. The mind boggles.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

nhp651

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 07:43:07 pm »

I'm sorry to say, and I usually say live and let live, but that imbecile Eric Abbott needs locking up for his own and others safety, the key throwing away, and his boat confiscated to pay for a few gallons of fuel for the lifeboats.
he has cost the rescue services, up to date, with his constant chicanery and utterly imbecilic behaviour over £1,000,000.00p in call out costs for his constant failed attempt to circumnavigate where ever he keeps trying to sail to.
This idiot couldn't even circumnavigate his own bath!! >>:-(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 07:49:09 pm »

I wouldn't disagree with that!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.