Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman Circa 1970 anyone recognise it ?  (Read 4290 times)

Cyril

Huntsman Circa 1970 anyone recognise it ?
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:28:38 pm »

Hi

Are you sitting comfortably?

it started long ago when a kindly man built his grandson a model boat. The boy played with the boat a few times with his dad and granddad on a local pond, but the 7 year year old boy soon started playing other games and the model boat found it's way into the loft.

38 years and a few lofts later the model boat saw the light of day. It was inspected with nostalgia by the grandson who decided it needed some TLC  :kiss:

The grandson (thats me if you hadn't already guessed) has repainted it and fitted a new motor and its now radio controlled.

But I don't really know anything about the model. When in a model shop buying some bits, I was told it was a Precedent Huntsman. It does look similar but this model appears to have an extra front cabin section.

I would dearly like to know some about this model and it's history to enable me to undertake some more restoration work.

Any comments welcome

PS. this is my first post and I hope the picture will be attached

cdsc123

Re: Huntsman Circa 1970 anyone recognise it ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 10:35:34 pm »

Hi Cyril

'Tis an Aerokits Sea Commander (34") or larger (46") Sea Queen. Nice job  O0

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:38:51 pm »

If its 34" long its a sea Commander, if its 46" long its a sea Queen.

Peter

Beat me to it ,

cdsc123

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:44:58 pm »

Hi Peter
I may have been faster, but you did a better job with the illustration and all.
How about some pics of your amazing Crash Tender then- is it finished?

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:58:08 pm »

Hi Cyril, welcome to the forum! In early September, there is a bi-annual get together for owners of the Aerokits Firetender (Fireboat). other Aerokits models will be there, in 2006 there was a boat like yours, depending on where you are, it may be a good source of information. Take a look at www.modelfireboats.com for all the info. My Fireboat was a loft dweller for 40 years, similar story to yours, very nostalgic!

Cyril

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 08:57:37 pm »

Many Thanks

It is indeed a Sea Commander right down to being 34 1/4" inches long. I have started to nose around the web and found a number of references to the model including some on this site. It appears to have been a popular model.

I shall have to post a new link about the Sea Commander without any reference to Huntsmen  :embarrassed:. Please excuse my ignorance. I indeed feel better informed for your comments. The man at the model shop was most emphatic that it was a Huntsman and until now that was all I had to go on.

Part of the enjoyment comes from renovating, part from sailing,  but much comes from learning along the way.

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 11:47:20 pm »

So what motor have you put in it

Stavros

Cyril

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:09:38 pm »

Graupner 12v 600BB turbo. chosen mainly because I have about a dozen of them. I asked the man in the model shop (the one that said it was a huntsman) was size prop I needed, so it's fitted with a 36mm 2 bladed carbon-hydro. I mention this because it seems a little small, so I may try upping it a little. Anything over about 3/4 throttle results in more noise and vibration and little else, could be cavitating.

The model had an original taycol meteor fitted, which is in perfect order due to being little used but does look a little dated

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 12:19:11 am »

I was under the impression that the 2 blade carbon hydro props were better for surface piercing use - maybe the noise is due to the pitch being too great and overloading the drive or as you say a  little cavitation is the culprit

Personally I would start with a P35 and go up to a P40 - 2 blades, next step after that would be a brass 35mm -to 40mm 3 blade. X series and hydro props are a bit much for such a heavy boat.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 01:13:30 am »

Cyril,
I have a 34" Fireboat, and have spent ages experimenting with the running gear, if this helps, or you get a better combo, let me know. I have tried 30mm and 35mm "x" props, ok performance, then tried 40mm brass 3 blade (11.5 amp draw), 45mm plastic 3 blade (less pitch than the brass prop, 8.5 amp draw), 50mm plastic 3 blade (11.7 amp draw.)
The amps where measured full throttle, 1 minute, holding boat, so probably not accurate, but a constant test. 2 x 8.4v (wired as 16.8v) 3300 nimh, graupner 12v 700bb turbo
The brass 40mm gives the best speed, as in the video, I am now struggling with the bow "digging in". With a good charger, this makes such a difference, I get approx 15  mins running almost flat out, with a couple of brief stops, which I thimnk is ok on this boat. I have just got 9.6v packs, at 4600, so I think I can maintain the speed, longer run time, and use the lower performance 45mm prop, that has the least amp draw. Hopefully will be able to test again at the wekend. The second half is the speed half!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=so5Ge9CNEV4

Hope it helps,

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.