Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aberdeen Lifeboat  (Read 2077 times)

Garabaldy

Aberdeen Lifeboat
« on: April 30, 2008, 12:07:12 am »

Hi im not sure if this has already been posted but theres quite a lot of pictures of the aberdeen severn lifeboat undergoing an extensive refit.  Maybe not that usefull for modelling but its pretty interesting to look at anyway.  here it is - http://www.aberdeen-lifeboat.org.uk/

bobdoc

Re: Aberdeen Lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 12:06:51 pm »

The image of the bulge forward of the bow thruster is very useful for modelers.
It also gives the weathered state of the hull for a lifeboat which is permanently afloat
The photo of 17-09 shows the pristine version of the bow thruster bulge - and hull

Bobdoc

Garabaldy

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 06:51:15 pm »

yeah your right.  It would be interesting to try and achieve the weathered effect but it wouldnt look so nice on display...  Theres  pictures of it painted YELLOW on there too

bobdoc

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:13:35 pm »

Hi Garabaldy

Is the "yellow" maybe undercoat?

Here's one of my photographs from the open day summer 2007 - *after the refit. Definitely *not* yellow!

Bobdoc

furball

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:18:05 am »

If it's the yellow ones in the gallery on there you mean, then those boats are the Severn (FAB 3) & Trent (FAB 4) prototypes (17-01, O.N. 1179 & 14-01, O.N. 1180) in theiri trials period. As far as I can remember the R.N.L.I. were experimenting with different colour schemes to make the boats more visible as more and more non-lifeboats were being painted high vis orange (pilot boats etc.)

Change was not adopted in the end and the boats were painted the normal orange. After trials, the Severn became a training boat, and was sold off in 2005, while the Trent after a brief spell at Alderney entered the relief fleet in 1995.

Note the position of the flying bridge on both prototypes differ to normal production boats

Lance
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 19 queries.