Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Marie Felling my 1st Build  (Read 13593 times)

GaryM

Marie Felling my 1st Build
« on: April 30, 2008, 12:32:48 am »

Well here goes

I'm building the Calder Craft Marie Felling Single Screw. (electric drive) 43½" x 11½"  1:32 scale.  40lbs - 45lbs finished weight.
A complete novice with no other skills, however; I'm a chef, so I should know how to use a knife and tell when the glue is set!

I've spent the past 3 weeks researching and reading over the instructions - which I find difficult to say the least - must be my age!

A bit of background.
Christiaan Felling worked for South African Railways Mombasa, and indirectly ordered the oil fired Marie Felling from Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Kingston On Hull, on June 27, 1928, for delivery by October 8 the same year and costing £29,745.
She was probably named after either his mother or daughter, both having the name Marie.  (this is conjecture as no hard evidence found)
(source data:  Kaskaz;  Google)

A few pics

GaryM

Re: Marie Felling my 1st Build
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 12:35:21 am »

A few more pics
Sorry no captions yet

regards
Gary

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 06:29:01 am »

Good start to your build thread, Gary.

Don't forget to tell us about any problems you encounter and how you resolve them, that way we all learn from you. And don't worry about being a novice, we all were once and happily many new Members join for just the kind of help and encouragement that Mayhem provides.

Now what you mean about being a chef. I am married to one and she sure nows how to mix things up; whip; grate and turn up the heat!

Roger in France.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 05:20:38 pm »

Definitely looking forward to seeing more progress!
From the photo on Caldercraft's website (http://www.jotika-ltd.com/KitPics/LRG/mariefelling_lrg.jpg) this is a very impressive + distinctive-looking tug, with its two-part deckhouse, oval funnel and "flying bridge" deck.

One question I have - is the mast really meant to be angled forward, as it appears to be on Caldercraft's photo? If so, what was the reason for this?

Bradley

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 06:35:43 pm »

Best wishes with the Marie Felling, Gary.  This was the first model boat that I built some years ago after graduating from model aircraft.  I had no problems with it except that the blocks of wood supplied for the water tanks under the bridge were too big.  I painted mine with Halfords spray paints finished off with a satin varnish to just take the gloss off and, although I say it myself, it looked good. 

***Moderated***
Post and thread tidied up to get back to the buld.

Tigertiger

It ends up as a very heavy boat and can take a fair amount of ballast but a very handsome model.  Regretably, I sold it some years ago but I have heart problems and it was just too heavy.
Derek B.

GaryM

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 07:59:03 pm »

Hi Derek thanks for the advice;  Hi Edward, sorry I don't know if the mast should be tilted forward.

Perhaps the other guys may know, I have a couple of pics from the original Marie Felling below (hopefully) it looks more or less vertical.
Well, I glued the rudder shaft and skeg screws, ordered my t24 motor (yesterday) and ESC board P93 from ACTion today (1st class service!  ;D) - can't wait until they arrive. :)

Two things I've noticed with the kit are that some of the joins are "stepped" and there are one or two small flaws in the hull, which I'm getting round by sanding them down - the stepped joins are a pain though.  I've attached some pics O0

regards
Gary

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 10:17:40 am »

Hi Gary – welcome to the Marie Felling club! I started a couple of years ago and your post reminds me that I should update my own thread. Although I am a beginner and a slow worker, I have moved on somewhat from where I was at when I last posted my progress in that thread. I’m interested to see you facing the same problems that I guess we all have faced in some degree with this kit. In any event, my own thread can be found at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554309

A recent contributor from Norway indicates that he is also building the Felling and you can find his site at
http://www.bsmbk.org/medl-marie-felling.html

The most complete build thread I have found is by Longbike, who completed the model in six months or so last year – his thread is very well illustrated at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677099&highlight=marie+felling

I agree that the steering gear is not appropriate and I replaced it with an off-the-shelf brass/nylon tiller. I am also going to replace the stanchions with brass ones, as recommended by Longbike (he’s a professional modeller), although I have not been able to find an identical design. I am also replacing the portholes in the forward superstructure with brass ones and relocating the two central ones on the front to be more in keeping with those on the original vessel. I plan also to add a roller bollard in the stern, as per original – I got the additional part for this from Caldercraft.

I don’t devote a lot of time to modelling and I’m building a Springer at the moment, but I’ll try and make the time to update my Felling thread fairly soon. Enjoy your build.

GaryM

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 02:04:12 pm »

Hi Kaskazi
Sorry for the delay I was up in Yorkshire.
Thanks for the links, I'll post some more soon. :)

regards
Gary

GaryM

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 09:14:04 pm »

Hi
Not much to show I'm afraid. :(
However behind the scenes I now have a RC control, servos, two 12v batteries, ESC, fuse, T24 motor and two shiny props, :)  (I only need one though) in fact everything I need to start some serious building (very nervous though)

Just started reinforcing the inner hull with "Fastglas" and found out that you need to remember that the hardener is measured in cm and not inches, after 3 - 4 Min's my little tub of resin and hardener started to 'gel' I turffed it out of the tub I was using (came out easy!) it the started to erupt, sizzle and spit at me, from the safety of my kitchen I sent the son out to see if it had finished ;D - it was as hard as stone.  :o

For my first attempt at resinating - well you can judge, I have to admit to a little impatience - all that I've done so far is to drill a few holes and glue a few nuts. 

regards
Gary

barryfoote

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 07:59:26 am »

gary,

Enjoy the learning curve and remember the first time you created a baked alaska.......egg and ice cream all over the oven!!!!!It takes time and many mistakes    but great fun into the bargain. I have been building boats of one type or another for over 20 years and boy does it go wrong on a regular basis...

Barry

GaryM

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 10:40:39 pm »

Nearly finished reinforcing the hull with 'Fastglas' - getting used to 20 min life span - although I would say more like 15 Min's before it becomes a thinnish jelly substance.
Mixing and measuring, (the hardener) is still a bit of a problem.  (bit like my custard, which is defiantly hit or miss and always lumpy)

Measuring 10ml of resin is easy, but trying to get a steel rule to measure a 2 - 3cm "worm" which defies gravity and insists on coiling itself - bit like a 'Belgian Bun' and is nigh on impossible, along with the fact you need at least 40 - 50ml of resin to make it worthwhile!
In the end I poured a cap full of resin, (deodorant cap) and mixed hardener until it was mildly pink, it worked OK - it is hit or miss but to date the results are good.

I started cutting out the deck today, I read a post (sorry details escape me) the poster said that cutting it with a heavy duty knife was very laborious - I now know how he felt.  I went to Focus and got me a fret saw?  (the one that has a large 'D' shape frame and thin blade) - like a knife through butter - well impressed!

regards
Gary :)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 11:16:48 am »

Have you tried placing the 'poxy hardener in a bowl of hot water.

I find it goes lovely and runny and mixes a treat.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

GaryM

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 11:49:18 am »

Thanks Ken
Sounds good I'll try that.

GaryM

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 03:45:53 pm »

Hi
I've finished reinforcing the hull, filled and shaped around the Skeg, fitted the motor and started installing the deck supports.

I came across a problem with the rudder shaft and sleeve - I'd installed this with no thought on how high the shaft and sleeve was, subsequently I found that the sleeve protruded to just above deck level!  I solved this by very carefully grinding (using a Dremel disc) all around the sleeve, at a suitable length.  There are some grinder marks on the shaft, but the rudder still swings freely.

I did a dummy run with the RC gear and all works well.

Here's some pics - not in order - and I've yet to master captions etc.

regards

GaryM

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 12:30:08 am »

Tonight I added the final bits to the steerage, the servo, the ball joint, and linkage. 
I set up the RC and it works a treat, the motor 'purrs' at full throttle.  I still have to find whether the rudder swing is 35 deg either side, but it looks close, I need to get a pertractor to measure this.
The propeller and shaft are fixed in. 
I put a couple of wedges at the rear of the motor as I noticed a small gap between the motor and bracket.  I reasoned that any vibration from the motor would weaken the bracket at the corner.
I was wondering at what point should I fix down the receiver, ESC, fuse, batteries etc.  I think I'll leave it until the deck overlay is fitted, then I can be sure that I can get to them.
I'm going to get the boat wet soon, to see about ballest and the waterline.  (plus any leaks! :'()
This game is addictive, I'm spending longer and longer at my boat and instead of dreaming about winning the lottery I'm dreaming about how much ballest I need! ;D

regards

barryfoote

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 08:40:53 am »

This game is addictive, I'm spending longer and longer at my boat and instead of dreaming about winning the lottery I'm dreaming about how much ballest I need!

Gary,

Thats it you have made it.......Join The Club....

GaryM

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 11:18:49 pm »

My apologies for not posting earlier, this partly to do with time spent on her, building work on the house and my inability to take a decent photo (it can't be the camera it's a Fuji S7000 loads of knobs and buttons!)

My progress to date.
The electrics are installed and working. 
She floats! Did a boyency / waterline test, she needs quite a bit more ballest.
The 'underdeck is installed.
I have spent the last week 'reinforcing the 'bulwarks' - with car filler, I can taste it now!

regards

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 04:03:25 pm »

It's sounding good Gary. I wonder could you give us a run-down on your electrical setup? For instance, I saw on another forum that you have a 12-24V motor and 2 12V batteries. Are you intending to run at 12V with the batteries in parallel, or are you going to link the batteries in series for a 24V operation? A few pics would be nice - don't be so modest, you've got some great shots here. It's just that up close, you really need a tripod.

I'm about to get back to my Felling, now that I've got my Spriner out of my system! I'm planning to include sound and smoke. The speaker will go under the foreward superstructure. I want the smoke to line up under the smokestack, which will take quite a bit of room. I also have a power distribution system to output at a number of different voltages, but that also is a bit bulky. So I'm not quite sure I'LL be able to fit the two batteries I would like to install and yet still maintain adequate eccessibility for my increasingly creaky fingers.

As for bulkheads - drive me to distraction. I put goop on and sand it down it seems for ever - it feels smooth but it doesn't look it. I found the V up in the bow the most awuward part to get at for this job.

Incidentally, I cut in for the metal forestay bracket, but on reflection, I think I did it too high. I made it so the part will sit on the bulkhead, but i think now that it should be recessed in a notch, which would give added support. I guess this will have to come from the handrail when I put it on, but if you have not done yours yet, give it a bit of thought.

So here are a few pictures of mine, which remains in the same state it was when I took these photos in March, though I have finished the engine room skylights in the meantime. But nothing is permanently fixed yet - that's something I'm approaching with some fear and trepidation!

GaryM

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 07:42:57 pm »

Hi Kaskazi  O0

Weird - I was thinking of you today, I was wondering how you were getting on with your Marie Felling!!
I will take some more photo's.  My motor is running at 12v with both batteries in parallel - I'll get specs and post with photo's.

About the forestay bracket, I checked on Longbikes thread (Bible) to make sure and yes I think the lower hole is about right - I think the "bottom edge" of the "flat piece" - the one with the holes in, should rest on top of the capping rail.  (I would attach a photo if I could produce one, but that's a sore point at the moment.) It's like you say.

It's good to see your build - it gives me inspiration - I'm afraid my boat is not as tidy as yours. :embarrassed:
What sounds are you going to use, I was thinking of getting some for mine.

regards

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 08:15:23 pm »

Well yes - but look at this one. And notice I have changed location of the forward-facing portholes to match those shown on the real MF. Also the hawse holes, one behind and one in front of the dip in the bulwark rather than both in front of it.

Another variation from the mode - I plan to let a roller bollard into the stern as per photo in your atavar. You can see it in a couple of the photos I posted

Sounds - I got the triple expansion engine and steam horn from JJC (who I think have since stopped operation). I've still not tried them and am just hoping they work, because i have seen some chat to the effect that there was a batch with defective chips at about the same time i acquired mine - my smoke outfit is also by JJC.

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 08:24:28 pm »

Oh, there's this one too - he only posted a few pics of his early stages, but you can see where he was going with this one.

GaryM

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 08:48:58 pm »

I see what you mean - after looking at the real life photo's the "amount of metal" above the hull is shorter in these than in Longbikes, but the 'hole' is close to the top also.

Gary

GaryM

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 07:28:13 pm »

A test to see if my pic comes bigger.

Gary

tony23

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 11:13:06 pm »

Hi Gary,

What are t24 motors? are they more suitable for tugging and who did you get them from  :)

GaryM

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 11:29:23 pm »

Hi SpamCanMan

I bought the motor from mobilemarinemodels.com  - they do quite a few I was recommended (Building a tug myself -  Marie Felling 43½+¼) either the T12 and T24

"12 pole - Hi Torque - Lo Rev

Perhaps the most compact 'power-house' available to the marine modeller.........
.a 'real' work-horse........
Suitable for boats from 22" ........

Shaft dia. = 6mm
Body size:-
OAL = 72mm
Dia. = 51mm  "  from site

I went for the larger. (being a novice)

sorry I can't seem to post the link.

To me it's beefy and works well.  The guys on this site will put you right if you need more info.

regards
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.