Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: essential wooden boat tools  (Read 5238 times)

ianmcairns

essential wooden boat tools
« on: April 30, 2008, 04:41:47 pm »

I am planning on a plank on frame kit boat to celebrate moving house (as if I won't have enough to do!). I've built mainly planes before so I have no boat-specific tools and I'll be settting up my workshop (er corner of the utility room) from scratch.

What are the essential tools? I see from pics most people use some sort of keel clamp or building slip - is this a good idea and what sort is best as there are several around? Are there any useful tools needed for planking? There are some quite neat modelling worktop vices around too - any stand out? Any suggetsions for that tool thing you wouldn't be without will be gratefully receieved....

ps I've been looking for some info/masterclass on plank on frame. Anyone know a good source?

Stavros

Re: essential wooden boat tools
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 05:08:26 pm »

Just look  on this forum in the Masterclass section read all about Bluebird Excellent tutorials

stavros

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 05:31:34 pm »

Clamps
Razor saw
Knife
Pins
Lightweight hammer
Small plane

That should get you started.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 05:44:40 pm »

Keith Julier has a series running in Model Boats magazine Period Pieces. He's up to no 6 in the May2008 issue, and I am pretty sure he started in No1 or 2 with suggested tools. If you can't get those issues, then I think that the pieces are taken from 'Period Ship Kit Builder's Manual' - published by Special Interest Model Books Ltd.

Hope this helps

Barrie

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 05:53:09 pm »

having done a few pof builds I think the most used and useful tool has been my razor plane

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 06:30:46 pm »

As you say, "...most builders use a keel clamp....". A flat, non-warping base board is essential. Without it you will inevitably build in twists. It is normal to build the hull upside down with the ribs temporarily attached to the building board. To achieve this some, if not all, ribs are made oversize and cut to the correct line as you remove the hull from the base board. As you add keel and planks you build in rigidity.

As Stavros said, there are some good examples, well illustrated within this forum. There are also several basic books which well illustrate the technique.

Roger in France.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 07:39:40 pm »

Hi there Ian,

welcome to the world of model boats and building model boats

I note first of all that you are beginning to build a kit.  To help us along giving advice on any tooling/method - it would be of great advantage to know what Manufacture of kit and what model it is?   I know there are some kits on the market - the way they are constructed they use the deck assembly as a main strengthening and support for the frames and keel.    I believe Billings' use this method and also, if you have a look on Master build here on this Forum, you can see Mike Gribeauval uses this method as well.

So, best find out from your instructions for the kit, first off.   If the instructions suggest using a building board, the Mayhemmers will no doubt suggest several options and you can pick your best.

What are the essential tools planking? For this yet again; every modeller has his preference in tools - to suggest a variety of tools to you - you only may use once and never again.  But, to suggest a tool that is a 'must have' is a better option.   For planking to me the must have are a variety of clamps - from small spring loaded clamps; like paper clip clamps; through to 'G' clamps of about 2 inches opening.    If you have a look around, there are a variety of clamps on the market and you can pick up some deals on fleeeBay.

The Pin Hammer or an automatic pin-punch is another essential - I use a small Hobby's hammer - similar to a toffee hammer.   There are several folk here on the Forum who use a 'pin punch' which is just as good, if not better than the hammer.

The next essential thing is a pin-vice or a jeweller's drill & a good selection of small drills - from about 0.3 - 0.5 mm for your drills.

I would not worry too much about some of these plank bending clamps, because you may spend a lot of money on these, and, after your first plank-on-frame you may decide its not the method of build you prefer - so therefore if you have purchased electric plank benders etc., they will sit in the drawer being a waste of dosh.

However, the aforesaid tools you will use on a regular basis, on any model you decide to make.

So, really, it is over to you Ian, let us know what model you are going build - i.e. what kit and it would then give us a better guide to help you.   Instead of us rambling on saying you need this and that when you dont need them at all.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 10:36:27 pm »

Ian,

I use masking tape a lot for clamping, its versatile and gets to places other clamps cannot reach!

Ian

ianmcairns

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 10:52:02 pm »

John e asked what kit - I am planning on building the Panart Bruma. Thanks everyone for the many good tips. Ian

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 06:17:09 am »

My most used tools are

In order of most used.
Steel rule, as a cutting edge, as well as measuring.
Stanley knife (much better than the knifes with a snap off blade, I mean a lot better)

Pencil (HB)

Small mitre box
Small saw - I started with a J180 (180mm) Jap saw, but I now have a razor saw.

Spring clamps - these are cheap and cheerful, work like a giant clothes peg.
G Clamps (these can also be used to hold the steel rule down when cutting). 3" and 2" are most used by me.

Small block planes, one is about 2" long and the other is 4".
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 07:50:45 am »

11" Permagrit double-sided block and shooting board, for sanding edges of frames, decks etc perfectly straight and perpendicular.
FLJ

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 08:01:10 am »

FlJ,

This is model boat building - not hunting ;D

What is a shooting board anyway?

Ian

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 09:29:42 am »

Ian

To all and sundry - May have got the name wrong, but who cares? If this is a bit jaggy as a bitmap I have a PDF of it - just PM me your E-mail address and I'll send it on. BTW it works for squaring up curved edges, too. Cheap as chips, as they say.

FLJ

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 10:47:57 am »

Cheap as chips, as they say.   == You aint seen the price of chips at our fish and chip shops  {-) {-)

You got the name right - a shooting board.  Used by joiners, carpenters, cabinet makers to plane the end grain of timber at right angles to the plank with a jack plane.

aye
john

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.