Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr angry here !  (Read 23823 times)

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mr angry here !
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 11:05:25 am »

Ok, so young Mr Boyracer buys a stock 1000cc car capable of 50mpg when driven sensibly, he pays minimal road tax because it's new and small engined. But because he has just passed his test and wants to drive it all the time, he will clock up a fair mileage in a year. Couple that with the peer pressure to be like his boyracer mates, he goes out and bolts a load of uneccessary go faster junk onto the engine, turns his cap round the other way and drives the ruddy thing like an idiot. He will consume fuel like it's going out of fashion as well as proudly smoking out the tyres every week or so, along with replacing most of the stock parts like wheels, lights, seats, paint job etc only to write it off in a very short time and possibly writing off another vehicle in the process. This idiot is a carbon footprint nightmare and yet he will be paying less road tax than I???
As I stated once before, I am driving around in my fourteen year old petrol  2 litre Passat estate. Driven carefully, it generally averages around 43mpg (mixed traffic) and exceeds this on a long run. I had got to the stage of thinking I ought to replace it as it's begining to look it's age but am now becoming rather more proud to still own it after all this time and intend to run it till it drops. The main resons for this are the it still works perfectly, it gives good petrol consuption and is exceedingly reliable. It gets used daily but only when neccessary so annual mileage is below average.
As somone stated previously, most of the pollution caused by cars is in the actual production of the vehicle and that is a proven fact. Now as my car is fourteen years old, how does that stack up against the boyracer down the road who replaces his car every few months because he keeps smashing them up. How much extra fuel and carbon is this fellow chucking down his exhaust pipe compared to me? How much extra carbon and so called greenhouse gasses are produced just to fuel his motoring whims and fancies compared to mine?
Remember, this goon will incurr less road tax than I will and yet my vehicle is actually greener!
This stupid bunch of stark staring goons at Westminster need defeating or at best, lined up against the ruddy wall!
If they get voted in at the next election, The Brits deserve everything they get!!

Rope, Rope, someone fetch me my rope!!!

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 03:23:03 pm »

Too bad I won't be around to see it.

Stick around just eight years and ITER should be generating some power as a demo plant. Follow-on working fusion plants could be coming on line once the ITER programme runs down in the mid/late 2030's.

Handy for burning up fission waste - but the world really needs SSPS systems to go properly green.

In my opinion.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

lifeboat paul

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 04:47:47 pm »

Hi  iv`e got a 2.9cc diesel people carrier that's eight years old looks like I`m going to get the double whammy then? maybe I will have to sell my caravan to pay for the road tax.

While were all moaning about being overtaxed the government(s) all seem to want to charge us environment taxes on when we fly and the amount of energy we use to heat our homes ect, what do they do with all the money they are collecting for the environment- are they planning to buy a great big Hoover and suck up all the pollution in the atmosphere, if it was possible that`s the only way they could use our money to good effect that would help the atmosphere other than that it`s a "nice little earner" for them .
 Paul :(

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 07:17:17 pm »

Fascinating to read all you old grumpies having a go at anything and everything.

I reckon it's about time this subject was moved s to the Humour section.

By the way, FLJ, now I know why you have that handle.  It's probably years of taking the flak with the government you're now complaining about.

Just for the record I agree with most of the sentiments expressed......  I even voted today......how many of you bothered??

{-) {-) {-) O0

djrobbo

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 07:53:05 pm »

YUP !!!!!!guilty............if you dont vote you can't complain , and where's the fun in that  :D :D

just for the record i drive a 3 year old fiat doblo 1.9 jtd diesel m p v......its not four wheel drive and it hasn't got seven seats , but it qualifies for cheaper tax because of its lower emission levels..........wonder what they'll make of that ??????

wonder if an m.p.v. will be lumped in with people carriers ???????

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 08:52:30 pm »

I have read about this government lastest half baked idea. Mmmm one big problem.
Drive round the UK and see how many foreign car are on our road, yes a lot. So go buy a foreign car bring it back to the UK and oops forget to tell the D.V.L.A. drive it a for a year then sell it back on main land Europe. Only the UK d.v.l.a tell foreign country our details the rest reffuse to tell the UK any details.

john

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 09:32:32 pm »

flagging out, damn good idea!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

GaryM

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 09:41:58 pm »

I blame the cows!  Shove a cork up their deri aire and we all can breath easy ;D

Gary

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 09:45:37 pm »

hey new zealand has a bovine fart tax!

now all you mayhemmers who are in he UK and Wales where May1st is election day,

VOTE IN THE MAYHEM ELECTION!!!!

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 10:49:59 pm »

Hi  iv`e got a 2.9cc diesel people carrier that's eight years old looks like I`m going to get the double whammy then?

And how many horsepower does a 2.9cc engine produce? If you can get that to run a people carrier that's a miracle!  {-)

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 10:54:13 pm »

more than my old rover 416!

bbdave

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 11:40:07 pm »

Why are 4x4s targeted all the time i have seen many large engined BMWs Daimlers RRs jags etc but it's always 4x4s but as i see it i holiday every year in this country i don't fly abroard i camp i tow my sail boat behind my 4x4 which is needed to recover my boat up wet slips i buy recycled cars (second hand) there fore my so called carbon footprint is vastly reduced for not being vain and having a new car i use significantly less rubber as my tyres are larger and wear less my engine revs alot less enabling it to wear parts less it will run on cooking oil.

but if we all change to so called eco cars tomorrow i suppose the government will just accept the huge loss of revenue and pat themselves on the back and say what a grand job they've done getting them nasty cars off the road will they BO***CKS!!!
They will be breathing the same quality of air pilling the revenue onto electricity or whatevers next!

So yes i could drive a more economical car but who's going to buy it for me i can't afford another car, and i'd have to sell my sail boat and as my new 1000cc car would be knackered driving long distances i may as well start flying to my holidays.

But hey the years i spent in forestry planting over 18000 trees a year means i obviously care nothing for the enviroment because of the car i drive!!

catengineman

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2008, 11:54:49 pm »

Im with you ALL the way  bbdave

I tried to pull one of my tandem axle trailer's behing my brothers car but the ride hight could not be corrected and this made the towing very poor in that we gave up! and had to wait until my 4X4 was available.

R,

bigfella

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 12:25:42 am »

bbdave

You could always put the sail from your sailboat onto your car then zero carbon emissions. {-) {-) {-) If you take the engine out of  a car and run it on sail power is this a way to avoid paying the government tax, have we found a loop hole?

Regards David

OMK

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2008, 07:30:09 am »

"But hey the years i spent in forestry planting over 18000 trees a year means i obviously care nothing for the enviroment because of the car i drive!!"

I'm enjoying this thread - to a point. And up 'til now I've kept out of it because because. But when I read that little snippet.....
Man, total repsect!

Dig this...
A couple years ago I hired a Renault Clio for a few days. Yeah, I know, I know - it's classed as a woman's car, blah, blah. But in all fairness, I was dead impressed with the thing. Excellent fuel consumption... nippy when it had to be... easy to park... etc.
You getting the picture so far?
I'm obviously biased towards smaller cars, right?
...Or am I just jealous because I don't have a 4x4 of my own?

Mate, in all honesty, I stand corrected. You've opened my eyes. Go right ahead and enjoy your 4x4. And if ever you find yourself around these parts, take a drive down to the local school and Puh-LEEEEEASE teach all them single Moms how to reverse the thing.

Rex Hunt

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2008, 08:14:19 am »

I run a environment damaging, antique 4x4 petrol guzzler (in some peoples eyes!).

My Landrover (recycled when HMG had finished with it), is 28 years old,but no longer has 'historical vehicle status' thanks to GB*own and his buddies 2 jags etc,   ;)

I wonder how many other vehicles will last that long and not need a high carbon footprint generating replacement within 30 years?    :o

My motor does less that 5,000 miles a year, normally to and from displays, for which I have to pay full road fund (notice the name of that tax...ROAD fund, how much goes into the roads I wonder?), Insurance (justified), MOT (again justified.....only notice during last 10 years was a dodgy wiper blade (passengers side) and a vast amount of VAT etc on fuel (how much does it really cost? Did you notice Messrs Shell etc profits last week!),   >:(

But who does the HMG call out to help in cases of flooding/snow/roads blocked through gales etc?   :police:

The good old Landrover owner who is prepared to risk his cherished motor for other folks benefit, that's who!   O0

LEAVE 4x4's alone...................look at 'Boy/Girl racers',  'Prestige Motor' owners (do they really need a RR, Bentley top range BMW, Audi etc for their trip up the Motorway (we don't have Motorways in Norfolk either... but we still pay the same ROAD Fund as those who do have the benefits of good transport infrastructure!).   >>:-(

Ho Hum...............rant over sorry guys but I do feel better for that!
Long live 'Euroboxes and Japcr*p'...after all , they even help our balance of payments don't they?

Electric cars are the future............................................(how do you recharge them, how do you make their batteries without mining cadmium etc?)

Rex

OMK

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2008, 09:02:34 am »

"Electric cars are the future............................................"

Possibly. But did you see 'Planet Mechanics' recently? The French are dabbling with air compression -- or more exact, cars that run on compressed air.
A major downside so far is that it takes around 3 hours to refill the tanks, and you only get around 70km (?) between refills.
Early days yet, but........

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2008, 09:56:50 am »

I don't have a problem with 4x4 vehicles when they're used appropriately. Towing a sailboat or goods trailer, working off-road in the country or using one for mountain rescue IS appropriate. What is NOT appropriate or even acceptable, however, is a 4.8 litre V8 12mpg monster with a tiny woman sat behind the wheel, transporting one spoiled, fat little grub of an infant to school and back. You could do that in a Smart car, and yet there are thousands of these Chelsea Tractors ploughing the furrow between home and school in every town on every working day of the week.

This combination of vehicle and driver is NOT safe nor is it remotely appropriate to the task. They just seem to say "Hey, look at me, you peasant - I can afford to ignore the Road Traffic Acts; put aside any last vestige of common sense; wave two fingers at the environment and waste money on this ridiculous car because I'm SO much more important than you are".

Envy on my part? No, I don't think so; I could afford a 4x4 but I don't have the need for one so I don't run one. Inverted snobbery? No - I'm an ex-public school boy and we live in a posh area of town, so that won't work either. I guess I just dislike people who are ostentatious, selfish and ignorant............ and unfortunately a lot of them seem to drive Range Rover Sports, Land Cruiser Amazons, LWB Shoguns and Porsche Cayennes.

FLJ

catengineman

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2008, 10:03:01 am »

I don't have a problem with 4x4 vehicles when they're used appropriately. Towing a sailboat or goods trailer, working off-road in the country or using one for mountain rescue IS appropriate. What is NOT appropriate or even acceptable, however, is a 4.8 litre V8 12mpg monster with a tiny woman sat behind the wheel, transporting one spoiled, fat little grub of an infant to school and back. You could do that in a Smart car, and yet there are thousands of these Chelsea Tractors ploughing the furrow between home and school in every town on every working day of the week.

This combination of vehicle and driver is NOT safe nor is it remotely appropriate to the task. They just seem to say "Hey, look at me, you peasant - I can afford to ignore the Road Traffic Acts; put aside any last vestige of common sense; wave two fingers at the environment and waste money on this ridiculous car because I'm SO much more important than you are".

Envy on my part? No, I don't think so; I could afford a 4x4 but I don't have the need for one so I don't run one. Inverted snobbery? No - I'm an ex-public school boy and we live in a posh area of town, so that won't work either. I guess I just dislike people who are ostentatious, selfish and ignorant............ and unfortunately a lot of them seem to drive Range Rover Sports, Land Cruiser Amazons, LWB Shoguns and Porsche Cayennes.

FLJ

May I a so called 4X4 driver shake your hand sir,

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2008, 10:19:45 am »

May I a so called 4X4 driver shake your hand sir,

I'd be pleased to do so, sir!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2008, 10:26:50 am »

here a nother point. WE ALL PAY environmental tax. it call fuel tax if you own a v12 8l 4x4 it drinks like a fish so you pay lot of tax. if you own a 600cc smart car you use naf all fuel and pay little tax. So why on why do the idiots need to rock the boat.
This is what i think. They know there on the way out come election so they don't care. + they can call any other party that says they will remove this in just tax anty environmental.
I used to own a ford cosworth. Some of this 2L now produce over 750BHP make carbon by the ton and pay only £200 O0
I can see a rise in old cars.

OMK

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2008, 01:02:57 pm »

You hit the nail squarely on the head, Mr. J.
But how did it ever get to that state, anyhow? No matter where you look, they're everywhere. I'm refering, of course, to that "tiny woman sat behind the wheel, transporting one spoiled, fat little grub of an infant" brigade. (Hehee!... neat choice of words!).
It's true what you say, though. You only have to see them, the same time, every day, clogging-up just about every major road within a mile of every school. The daft part is, the local infant school is but a spit away, but none of them would be seen dead walking. I mean, why walk their darling brats 100 yards to school when it's much more fun to burn a zillion gallons of liquid gold AND have the pleasure of staring down their hooters at lesser mortals, to boot.
I can't help wondering where they get the money to buy their cars in the first place. None of them work, none of them are married, I haven't boned ANY of 'em, yet they're breeding faster than rabbits and driving cars of the kind that Mr. average Joe could never afford.

I wanna 4x4. I wanna load of £££. I wanna................
(Sob!)

catengineman

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008, 01:37:18 pm »

Sorry PMK you are the wrong sex to jump up and down in that demanding way {-)

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2008, 01:55:06 pm »

I can't help wondering where they get the money to buy their cars in the first place.

It's all done on the credit which they found easy to obtain because the fatheads who run the banks would lend it to them. Now the plug has come out of the sump we can only watch while their houses - whose ridiculous price inflation was the bedrock of this craziness - are repossessed and their fragile little make-believe worlds come crashing down around them. I don't do sympathy very well.

Greed in the banking system and "Sub prime" is the cause of all of this, but don't ever believe it's just restricted to the Untidy States. Just watching the Local Election results coming in and feeling angry and betrayed. Brown and Cameron are two sides of the same coin. No wonder only 35% of the electorate turned up to vote.

FLJ (Off to the pub; it's Friday! Hooray!!)

bbdave

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2008, 03:02:24 pm »

Just leaving cars aside for a moment there is all this banging on about building new homes which are apparently needed (due to rich buggers buying second homes and killing villages). it seems forgotten that for 1 ton of concrete=1 ton of carbon emmisions!! i recently saw a program about a new build i forget what it was but not a huge building but apparently the amount of concrete used and therefore emmisions was equal to all the flights in and out of the U.K. for 1 year!! so how do cars at less than 1% of all emmisions for the year constitute global warming?. which may i add has been happening since the end of the last ice age. 4 million years ago the North sea and Channel used to be above sea level, where do they think all that water came from?. Probably all the oxon pulling carts farting! caused the start of it i blame the cavemen!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.