Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit nederland ..........again!!!, with a variation  (Read 79451 times)

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Smit nederland ..........again!!!, with a variation
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2008, 03:34:37 pm »

Nice work! Pilot house build has given me some ideas of how to change one here. Window frames - all strip stock?

Look forward to the progress with this,

regards,mike

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2008, 03:55:59 pm »

Nice work! Pilot house build has given me some ideas of how to change one here. Window frames - all strip stock?

Look forward to the progress with this,

regards,mike

Mike:
 Thanks very much.
Yup, the pilot house windows are trimmed in styrene strip. Its a bit fiddly, but with care it can be done. When you pre bend the styrene for the corners be gentle and don't bend it back on itself too much or it'll split. If you can warm the strip a little before hand it'll make the going easier.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008, 01:02:18 am »

with the pilot house well on its way, I decided to tackle the bulwarks around the perimeter of the hull. I made the rib extensions from 1/16 birch plywood. I left a tab on the end of them that would fit into a notch I milled into the deck. These were cyanoed into the notches to hold them in place. As a guide to their installation, to keep them all in line, I installed the first and last of a row, then clamped a piece of bass wood across them from end to end (see pic). I could then move the remainder up to the basswood guide and cyano them into place. This ensured they were all, more or less, in line from end to end.
  When these were all in place I cut the bulwarks from 1/32 birch plywood and trimmed and installed them onto the frame extensions (see pic). Again, they were cyanoed to the frame extensions. At the joints a piece of ply was cut that fit between the frame extensions exactly and cyanoed those in place. This gave a strong backing for the bulwark butt joint.
  In order to form the bulwarks around corners, the ply was steamed over a kettle until the ply could be bent smoothly without cracking. An industrious person could probably make a steamer from some ABS drain pipe, or similar, that could do the job more efficiently.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2008, 01:04:44 am »

more bulwarks............

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2008, 01:11:29 am »

To back up a bit. Before I put the deck into its final position, I decided to try an alternate battery mounting method. This new arrangement placed a battery tray over the prop shafts and the battery was laid horizontally on top of the tray. The battery can't come out the top because of the proximity to the deck and there are stops on three sides for lateral movement. There will be a forward removable stop to stop the battery from sliding out forward.
  The original arrangement stood a slightly larger battery vertically between the motors. I may still go that route yet.

John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2008, 03:21:41 am »

There is the danger that the higher the battery, the higher the chance of inherent stability?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2008, 03:38:34 am »

There is the danger that the higher the battery, the higher the chance of inherent stability?

I quite agree, however, I believe in either case the bulk of the battery is below the water line and the vessel should still be stable. I have two other vessels with the battery(s) at least at this level relative to the water line and they come across with no stability problems.
 The tall pilot house can also contribute to an instability problem, however I've tried to make it as light as possible to reduce the effect. We'll see what she's like when I get it done.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2008, 10:22:52 pm »

Continuing on with the build, I have gon on to add a cap to the bulwark. The drawings show a cap, however, I haven't seen much in the way of photos to suggest exactly what it looks like. Hence I'm following what I interpret the drawings to be.
 I've trimmed the top of the bulwarks, inside and out, with basswood strip. It was steamed to make it around the corners without splitting. This was cyanoed to the ply bulwarks. The top of the bulwark was then trimmed in Evergreen styrene strip and the whole lot lightly sanded to clean up an errant rough or out of line edges.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2009, 12:09:27 am »

Well I've finished the bulwarks to the point of priming. I saturated the wood of the bulwarks with cyano to , both, toughen the wood and make it impervious to water. I then smoothed them with body shop "icing' filler. Its a really fine easy to apply and easy to sand body filler that is very close to the texture of cake icing.......hence the term. This was followed with "scratch primer" and sanded again.
  The hull is now ready for painting. Perhaps tomorrow.

John

kno3

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2009, 12:18:31 pm »

Very nice work!

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2009, 01:12:48 pm »

Very nice work!

Thanks very much

JHV

dan

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2009, 05:10:29 pm »

comming along beautifly. everythings been done so nice and neatly  :-))  What colour do you plan on painting it?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2009, 05:37:46 pm »

comming along beautifly. everythings been done so nice and neatly  :-))  What colour do you plan on painting it?

Thanks very much. I'm going to do it in the Smit colours: blue stack, white deck house, green deck, black hull and bulwarks to the water line and oxide red below. I found a picture in a book on tugs, yesterday, that has an excellent down on picture of the forward deck showing the anchor windlass, bollards and another smaller winch. It'll come in handy for detailing the forward deck properly.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2009, 12:07:00 am »

Since I 'm scratch building this version of the Nederland I didn't have the pleasure of being able to use Billings hawse hole (correct word?) castings to install in the bulwarks. Hence I had to come up with a method of getting the oblong and cast appearance into one fairly simply. I turned up a piece of brass, the correct diameter, the lathe. When parted off it gave a very nice round hawse hole piece. Now to make it oblong. Hmmmmm. I placed it in a vice, narrow bit between the jaws, then heated it red hot with a propane torch. I then tightened up on the vice to get the correct oblongyness.
  When done, the turning flange takes a decided dome shape. The piece went back in the vice again, held loosely by the narrow bit. The domed top was struck with a hammer using a piece of aluminum as a drift. Worked well. All pieces set in the bulwarks and laid flat. i hel them in place with epoxy.
  When all five were installed I primered the bulwarks and the turnings for paint.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2009, 12:15:08 am »

Now's time to prep and spray the hull paint. I began by lightly sanding the hu;; with about 380 grit paper. This roughened up the surface and allowed me to find any globs of glue, epoxy etc that I dropped in the construction process. When I was done that I wiped the whole down with a paper towel dampened in lacquer thinner to remove any grease or other chemicals on the surface. I then sprayed the whole with etching primer, including the rudder and prop shaft components.
  After the primer had set, I sprayed the whole again with a high build scratch primer. This was lightly sanded again with about a 400 paper. the whole was wiped down again to get rid of any dust. I then applied a finish coat of oxide red paint.
  I left it over night to harden before masking off for the black coat. When masked off. I applied a cot of semi gloss black to the upper part of the hull and the outer side of the bulwarks.
  When that sets up, I'll go back and paint the green deck and buff inner bulwarks. The pilot and deck house is just about ready for paint

John

Garabaldy

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2009, 12:37:29 am »

This looks really good.  Very neat.

kno3

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2009, 01:26:57 am »

Nice work! I used the same way for making oblong holes edges for my steam tug on Saturday  :-). But instead of turning, I just took some brass portholes with rounded edges and pressed them in the vice.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2009, 03:06:57 am »

Nice work! I used the same way for making oblong holes edges for my steam tug on Saturday  :-). But instead of turning, I just took some brass portholes with rounded edges and pressed them in the vice.

Thanks very much.  Yeh, I wasn't so lucky as to have some on hand so I had to make them. The method seems to work OK though doesn't it?

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2009, 03:07:52 am »

This looks really good.  Very neat.

Thanks very much.

John

banjo

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2009, 09:17:02 am »

O0

I like it!

BTW Happy New Year Everyone...

alan

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2009, 11:35:52 am »

O0

I like it!

BTW Happy New Year Everyone...

alan

Thanks very much.
How're you doing? 

John

banjo

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2009, 11:52:18 am »

<:(

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2009, 01:36:50 pm »

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2009, 01:51:20 pm »

test

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2009, 05:29:23 pm »

"Can you hear me Mouther?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.