Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit nederland ..........again!!!, with a variation  (Read 79445 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Smit nederland ..........again!!!, with a variation
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2009, 05:59:52 pm »

"Can you hear me Mouther?!

Hello?...............Hello?.........Louder

Capt Podge

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2009, 12:06:22 am »

Hi Oldiron,

My first ever attempt at building a model boat was the Billings Smit Nederland, I bought the whole kit, including fittings pack, at a local model shop. Due to my ignorance at the time I didn't realise it was intended for experienced modellers and there were no instructions in the box ! I kept at it and after 5 years of extreme frustration I finally got it built and sailing.
If only I had known about this forum then, the likes of yourself would have saved me many a heartache.

At some point in time I'll try and get some photo's of my vessel and show everyone how not to do it !

Now to the point of my reply......how do you make the oiling/greasing points on your proptubes  i.e. what size hole to drill in the tube and how to attach the vertical part.

Also, I had a number of attempts at making the fore & aft "buffers" ? with the wood supplied in the kit - no joy. Then Hey Presto ! I found and old timing belt from a car, the belt being of the "toothed" variety. This was turned inside out, cut to size, and epoxied to the bow and stern respectively. They have stayed in place, though with hindsight maybe I should also nut & bolt them to the hull.

Finally, for my bulwark capping, I cut the outer rubber tubing from an electric cable (lengthwise obviously) and the natural curvature of the tubing gripped nicely onto the wood of the bulwarks.

I have read the whole of your thread to date and am well impressed with your workmanship. I look forward to seeing your project to completion.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2009, 02:09:44 am »

Thanks very much for your kind words. Please, by all means, post some pictures of your build. We'd like to see it.
I've attached a couple of photos of my grease points. They  are small lengths of brass tube soldered onto the prop shaft tube. After, the prop shaft tub is drilled through to allow grease to pass through. Since my grease points are slightly under the deck, I'm going to put plastic tubing over the grease point an run it up to the deck opening below the deck house. I'll make a clamp to hold it on place at that point. The prop tubes can then be greased at deck level. (see photo).
  For the "buffers" I'm going to use old wet suit material. I've done that on one of my other tugs and it seems to work well. I fastened it to the hull with Walthers GOO. To imitate the sections on the prototype, slice the material vertically to make it look like different sections of rubber. The wet suit material is held together, on the back, with nylon cloth. This makes an ideal place to glue the material to your hull. See the phot of one of my other tugs withe material on the stern.
  Strange you mentioned timing belt, I just had mine (the car's) replaced. I should go and get it and give it a try.
  I like your way of making the bulwark cap. Wish I'd done it that way myself, a lot less frustration.

John

Capt Podge

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2009, 12:52:03 pm »

Hello again Oldiron,

Thanks for the info and photo's vis greasiing points. Your idea of a sealed deck is great, I'm now seriously considering stripping my "Neddy" down to the hull and trying again.
It'll have to join the queue though
If I do go ahead with it I'll post some "before & after" pics on the forum.

Note: I was so relieved to finish the build the first time, I actually threw the Billings plans away - what an idiot ! - still, that's another lesson learned.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2009, 03:28:41 pm »

Hello again Oldiron,

Thanks for the info and photo's vis greasiing points. Your idea of a sealed deck is great, I'm now seriously considering stripping my "Neddy" down to the hull and trying again.
It'll have to join the queue though
If I do go ahead with it I'll post some "before & after" pics on the forum.

Note: I was so relieved to finish the build the first time, I actually threw the Billings plans away - what an idiot ! - still, that's another lesson learned.

I've got a copy of the Billings plans. if you need a copy let me know.

John

Capt Podge

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2009, 10:20:54 pm »

Hey John,

That would be fantastic - I'll send you a PM with my details - let me know the costs involved and I'll reimburse.

Great Stuff ! Enthusiasm building up all the time.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2009, 08:29:57 pm »

Took a day this week to make the display stand for the Neddy more interesting. Used a peice of plywood as the base, then did it up as the floor of a dry dock. The local Dollar Store had some 1/24 scale automotive shop tools at a reasonable price. I picked them up, added a bit of weathering, and fastened them to the deck for effect. I'll have to look for some figures now. Looks like Helath and Safety will being have words about that acetylene bottle on its side and the fact it isn't tied off.

John

banjo

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2009, 08:44:07 pm »

(Tongue in cheek)

You are getting rather good at this model making stuff.

Sorry about my last.. <:( 

was feeling very low....

I haven't touched my modelling stuff since well before Christmas,  I feel that I suddenly got old!!   Its the weather....things will seem better when the Sun comes out again!

Capt Podge

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2009, 10:32:30 pm »

Hi John,

That's a brilliant idea for a display stand ! Looks like the "dockies" are away for another tea-break at the mo.....

The crew (cast in white metal) for my Neddy were bought at a boat show in Doncaster - think it was model slipway who had them on their trade stand.

Sorry, still no photo's of my Neddy yet, still trying to nick me daughters digital camera !

Another good source for "crew" is the local charity shops. Farm hands, mechanics etc... can all be made to look like seafarers.
 O0

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2009, 10:53:27 pm »

(Tongue in cheek)

You are getting rather good at this model making stuff.

Sorry about my last.. <:( 

was feeling very low....

I haven't touched my modeling stuff since well before Christmas,  I feel that I suddenly got old!!   Its the weather....things will seem better when the Sun comes out again!

No apologies necessary. I understand exactly how you feel. Winter gets me down too, and we've got six months of it.
I'd like to see you continue on with your Nederland. I watched your thread, but haven't seen the finish. Hopefully the warmer weather will cheer things up again.

all the best
john

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2009, 10:55:05 pm »

Hi John,

That's a brilliant idea for a display stand ! Looks like the "dockies" are away for another tea-break at the mo.....

The crew (cast in white metal) for my Neddy were bought at a boat show in Doncaster - think it was model slipway who had them on their trade stand.

Sorry, still no photo's of my Neddy yet, still trying to nick me daughters digital camera !

Another good source for "crew" is the local charity shops. Farm hands, mechanics etc... can all be made to look like seafarers.
 O0

Thanks very much.
 The crew on tea break......yeh, its a union job, so you know that goes.
 I'll have to look on Model Slipway's site and see what they have.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2009, 09:11:02 pm »

The build saga continues. I finished up the mast yesterday at sorted the mounting platform on the stacks to take it. The "Neddy" finally has her crown.
  The mast is built from soldered together brass tubing with Billings lanterns on the end bits. I've set up the three forward lights to operate. I felt the aft three were too small to bother trying to light. Besides, they are operated in a certain pattern when a tug is towing and depending on what its towing. I didn't want to go to that fancy a switching arrangement.
  In order to facilitate the construction of the platform to hold the mast, I made a small piece of dummy deck to hold the stack. This I clamped in the vice jaws on the bench. The stacks were then set on locating pins and set onto the dummy deck. Tis arrangement held the stacks in place while I measured and assembled everything. Saves having it fall all over the floor when trying to build it.

John

ggeorge

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2009, 01:49:04 am »

Hi John,
  The stand looks good John.

G. George

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2009, 03:42:02 am »

I'm slowly working my way through the Neddy. In this stage I've redone the original Billings anchor windlass with brakes and built up frame. I extended the top of the gearbox and added chain locks to the chutes(?) to the hawse pipe openings. In order to determine the details I went by a photo I found in the book "Under Tow" by Donal M.Baird. Its the only photo I've found that shows the fore deck of the prototype Neddy class tug. I still have to build and install the extra large size winch in front of the windlass. The billings drawings show a towing bit in front of the windlass. Evidently this was removed at some point and this winch installed that is hydraulically operated and controlled from the wheel house.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2009, 03:43:25 am »

.a couple more pics

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2009, 03:48:34 am »

Thought I'd through in a shot of the painted and completed stacks and mast

John

craftysod

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2009, 06:09:32 am »

Nice work there John
Mark

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2009, 09:26:51 am »

Nice work there John
Mark

Thanks Mark.

John

Capt Podge

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2009, 01:13:17 pm »

Lookin' good John,

Judging by the photos' those handrails look spot on - well done :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2009, 01:39:00 pm »

Looking good!  :-))
I like the subtle weathering in the winch etc.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

awvs

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2009, 01:54:32 pm »

Your model looks great as always. Hope to see you early summer.
Thanks for the pictures.

Best
Wilhelm

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2009, 04:26:15 pm »

Thank you for your kind comments gentlemen.
 Does anyone have a photo(s) of the interior of the pilot house on the "Neddy" type tugs. I'd like to detail the interior of it, but the info I have is sketchy.

thanks

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2009, 03:48:56 am »

The latest update as work slowly moves forward at the progress of molasses in January.
I've put together the aft towing bow for the Neddy. I made it from brass because I want it durable for towing and it has to be removable to get at the steering gear. I bent two strips of 3/16 x 16" strips of brass to the required shape and length. When done I fashioned and soldered on the center post the the two outside end supports. In order to solder on the mid diagonal supports I made a jig of wood (see pic) to hold the various bits for soldering. (In the process of this I dropped it on the floor twice and had to redo the thing after each drop  >>:-(). Anyway, it got done. Afterward I primed and painted it to suit. In order to mount it on the deck, and leave it removable, I turned up a brass bush to fit the center support of the bow. I then drilled an appropriate hole int the deck and installed the bush. The bow center support now sits in the hole when the bow is installed.
  I also made one cover for the steering gear access in the deck. I made a cover that simulates a hawser rack. It is made of styrene and has a false bottom in it. The rack will be filled with the appropriate hawser appearing material. It simply lifts off to gain access to the steering gear. This maintains the deck integrity and limits water access into the hull.

John

tugboyben

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2009, 06:24:51 am »

hi oldiron

super bit of brass work a very nice tug too  :-)) :-)

regards jason

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2009, 10:13:55 am »

hi oldiron

super bit of brass work a very nice tug too  :-)) :-)

regards jason

Thanks very much for your kind comments.

John
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.