Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hmm?  (Read 3533 times)

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
Hmm?
« on: May 02, 2008, 01:19:05 am »

I was listening to Radio Devon this afternoon and they were talking about this chap who had been reported for violating a phone operator on some 0800 number by using the word, Zulu. Apparently, he was spelling something to this person of foreign origin a word or post code and they took offense to his use of this word saying it implied racist remarks! Well, I think it may be time we all took a collective pause here. Mundane reason, or common sense tells us this is ridiculous, if not down right , well I think you get my drift.
Usually, it is the other way around where they spell it back to you, using these phoenitic words which are used universally by millions.
Hmm?

OMK

Re: Hmm?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 02:15:59 am »

Rem, I'm going off at a tangent here, but when I lived/worked down your way, Radio Devon used to transmit on medium wave - AM.
Are they still on AM these days?
Do you know what frequency they use, and would their signal reach Taunton area?
I'm only asking because R.Devon would be miles better than listening to the brain-numbing tosh we get from our local station.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:23:19 am »

Have you thought of listening via the net ? my wife has a  http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/product_range/wifi_radio/WiFi.asp one of these things and thinks its really good , she is now hooked on us crime time , 40s radio programs that are re transmitted as they originally went out with Joe Carmel advert and all, there are a few of these radios about now and the price has plummeted
Peter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/local_radio/      then listen live

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 09:16:03 am »

Zulu is the internationally agreed phonetic designator for the letter Z. There are some sad ignorant people about who look for implied racism in everything. 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Hmm? - Politically Correct ....or get a life!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 09:33:31 am »

Someone told me last week that an India helpdesk couldn't understand the term "Naught" - Zero
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 09:53:01 am »

Radio Devon is now FM and 104.3 on the dial as we use to say. They have a funny show on this morning with Judy Spires who apparently use to do kids telly. There doing on show on strange bits people can do with their body.
And as for naught, just when you thought the English language was universal, it took me some time to sort that one out when I moved here. 

catengineman

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:59:52 am »

I was talking to my insurance company regarding the accident and the chap wanted my regestration, being from a shipping background I called out the letters and numbers starting with Sierra Quick as a flash he said "but your car is a Honda according to our records and the regestration is "S for sugar" ??

It took me a long time to get him to understand that  1, I had not changed my car. 2, explained that I was using the phonetic's I learnt as a seaman. 3, was not trying to be a smart ar**

We ended up getting the reg via his terms as he would repeat after me "his idea on what the best letter description was"

K for king  L for london ? etc etc I gave up!

I hope I get the right car back when its repaired!

OMK

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 10:02:47 am »

Zulu is also used by Radio Hams to describe the time. e.g: 15:00 zulu. It's the same as GMT.
Even among that fraternity there is a lot of dumbing-down these days. For instance, I was talking to another G station once when the operator used 'Bertie' rather than the more usual 'Bravo'. He mentioned some nonsense about sexism, and that female ops' are offended by the first three letters.
You couldn't make it up.

Rem: Your reply came in while I'm typing. Thanks for the info'.
Same to you, too, Pee-wee '93. Much appreciated, thanks.

By the by, is it spelt 'naught' or 'nought'? That one always throws me.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 10:13:47 am »

By the by, is it spelt 'naught' or 'nought'? That one always throws me.
Around here, "nowt".
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 01:07:37 pm »

I always thougnt it was spelt, 'not' or'knot' {-). Never mind I have to go mow the lawn, oops , I mean garden.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 06:26:22 pm »

PC gone mad again?
"A"...Alpha.   Now used to describe a dominant person (male or female).
"C"...Charlie   Now used in certain circles to describe a drug.
"P"...Papa     Frowned upon and not "approved" in these days of sexual orientation.
"R"...Romeo  How sexist can you get?  (The Juliets can look after themselves).
"T"...Tango  Either an advert for a fizzy drink or a sexist dance. Soon to be banned(?)
"U"...Uniform.  A concept enthusiastically embraced by the Chinese and Guardian readers.
"V"...Victor   Sorry, too triumphalist. Can't have losers.
"W"..Whisky  Tut Tut. Can't be seen to be condoning binge drinking.
Notes from a simple seaman

Roger in France

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 07:18:19 pm »

It's not the system it is some berk who needs their head reading.

But you try doing it in French, paticularly when the last letter of your name is "Y" as mine is. In French "e-grek"! Also it is usual practise in French to write your family name first and your prenom last. So, I frequently get addressed as Monsieur Roger which is OK by me but my wife objects to Madame Roger!

Roger.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 08:43:03 pm »

Its far better than reversing the last 2 words!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

OMK

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 06:32:51 am »

"U"...Uniform.  A concept enthusiastically embraced by the Chinese and Guardian readers.

Hehehee! Nice one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.