Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner requires help!!!!  (Read 5016 times)

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Once a model boater, always a model boater!
Beginner requires help!!!!
« on: July 23, 2006, 11:20:42 pm »

Okay, so I'm not a beginner to model boats, but I've just been given a kit of the AsTec Falcon and since I've never built a fast electric before, I thought I'd ask for your help.

The kit came with a Graupner MIG-600 motor and running gear, but no instructions.
I managed to get the instructions from AsTec's website and have progressed the build to the point where I am ready to install the hardware.

Are there any pitfalls with installing the running gear in this kit?

What ESC should I use to run the boat?

Where is the best place to get batteries from?

Sorry if this is a bit long winded and makes me seem a bit dim, but all my experiences to date have been with scale models.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CK

Andy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Beginner requires help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 09:34:12 am »

Give Alan at Astec a ring, or use his forum http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/phpBB2/

Andy

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:11:14 am »

I think that you should consider what you want to do with the boat. If you just want a fast boat that looks good on the water then the options are quite wide. If you want to race, you will need to check the class rules at your local club and buy the best equipment that you can afford. The boat will be fast with the 600 motor but will not competitive.

Neil

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 09:06:04 pm »

Thanks for the input so far.

I am not looking to race the boat as I'm much more at home patrolling the pond with my fleet of warships than zooming around for 4 mins and then having to change the batteries!

CK

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 07:25:26 pm »

I suggest that you use your current 600 motor and a marine forward only ESC rated at >30Amps. To save a few quid you could use a switcher or servo/microswitch. Howes Models are currently doing a good deal on Sanyo 3600 packs which should provide a decent run time.

Neil

astecme

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 02:51:52 pm »

All the Falcon hulls and kits are sent out with instruction on the build and the correct position for all the parts. You did not need to "manage " to get the instructions as I would quite happily send them free to anyone who has purchased a hull from us.

The hull is pulled from high quality ABS, you can join it with any good liquid poly (MEK) or pipe weld... all in the instructions. Trim the hull to within 5mm of the join - I use a small plane.

If you got a motor then you probably got the straight hardware as well. There is no motor mount in the kit as depending on how you build it , brushed, brushless or straight or flex hardware - they need to be different. I use ply. 540/600 mounting holes are 1" centres. I can supply a CNC item that can be modified. The 600 motor has relatively a lot of torque, but the boat runs better with the MIG500 (22000rpm). I run mine on a 17x3 but a 19T mod or stock motor will do the job well. The cells need to be offset to the left (looking from the rear) to offset torque roll - if you do not offset then the boat will not handle. It turns very quickly with the supplied rudder but some peopl are using the much larger Kukorelli shape. This boat cleaned up in SWAMBC FM2 and FM3 for 2 years running - it is no slouch!

I find it really strange that you come here and proclaim problems without ever contacting me - or visiting the form on the site which as you say you managed to get the instruction from - You will not that instructions for fittng the hardware are there as well. On pice of advice... file a flat on the shaft - otherwise the grub screws will cut a slot in the shaft, this will damage the coupling and you will necver get them apart without further damage.

Allan

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 04:04:56 pm »

Seems I have stirred up a bit of unrest!!

Firstly,  i wasn't proclaiming problems on here,  merely using the forum to get the benefit of other's experience.

I am quite resourceful when it comes to finding things out, and in my opinion, it was easier to find the info on the web at the time.

Thanks for your points on construction.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 04:58:29 pm »

Try these for batteries, According to others on the forum they are very good.

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/index.html

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 01:10:13 pm »

Hi CK,
I have a Falcon, that I bought to run in the Northern Fast Electric meetings, but then the class I constructed it for was cancelled, so I use it just for fun. It also works quite well as a submarine. At fun events, I move the battery pack forwards a little and then drop it in nose first. If you apply full throttle, it will run quite happily under the water till you back off the throttle. It is a great little boat, and very nimble on the turns. I use a 17 turn motor and an Msonic 30 amp speed controller.

Bob

Bridkid

• Full Mayhemer
    • Bridlington Model Boat Society
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 12:06:46 pm »

CK!
You could set this up like the old Formula 3 class and have lots of fun with it if that's all you want. 6 cells and a cheap 21 turn motor, I think they cost about £20 or so. (the motors not the cells)
As for cells, I get mine from Mike at www.cheapbatterypacks.com in the States. Great service, good prices, nominal postage and fast delivery usually within a week. Your biggest problem will be a suitable prop so I suggest you use Allan at ASTEC for that.
Cheers,
Ian,
 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.