Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what is this?  (Read 2446 times)

sunnybob

what is this?
« on: May 02, 2008, 11:37:32 pm »

I took this pic on a motorway the other day, its not a model  :o but can someone tell me what kind of rudder that is?

sunnybob

Re: what is this?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 11:40:40 pm »

that pic isnt very clear when shrunk, :embarrassed:

the full size pic is here http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/image/95731818

Pictures added - Admin

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:56:10 am »

It would seem to be something of a semi kort nozzel, not actually enclosing the prop. Fitted something similar to a Joffrey I had once, it improved the manouverability no end especially when doing reversing manouvers.
Alan

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 07:11:22 pm »

I think it must be intended to bend the water going past the back side of the rudder round the corner, rather than just causing eddies. Dunno what it's called, or even if that design has a name.

catengineman

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:43:05 pm »

I saw a rudder like that on a very old work boat (Avocet) it was a modification to get better seerage while towing lighters on the Thames, there was a drawback though, going astern the helm vibrated through the teli-motor and we had to relpace seals often.
Going ahead was fine and you needed a lot less helm to turn the boat, plus it made us feel it had a little more pulling power  :P

I think if the mod had been thought of a little more and a better thrust ballance managed it would have been better.

R,

sunnybob

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 08:48:13 pm »

I think I've answered my own question :D :D

Someone else had mentioned Kort nozzles, and when it was mentioned here again, and as I was bored for an hour or so, I started web surfing.
Its definitely NOT a kort nozzle, but I'm pretty sure its a PLEUGER RUDDER. :o

Take a look at this description and photo, and see what you think.

www.bowatersteamshipcompany.no-ip.com/page13.html

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 08:55:07 pm »

Hi sunnybob
I mentioned the kort nozzel earlier and the fact that I had made something similar. Do you think that there is room for the extra prop inside or even the necessity considering the size of boat?
Alan

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 09:00:55 pm »

I think you may be wrong, (sorry) but the "PLEUGER RUDDER" has a prop and drive motor in the *lets say Kort* for ease of description, where as in your pictures the rudder is in the way,

As per earlier post I think this is a box rudder to aid helm work.

Just my opinion, ;)

R,

sunnybob

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 11:26:41 pm »

I'm by no means certain what it is, but from my surfing, the description of a "kort nozzle" is a tube around the actual prop, which rotates, focusing and directing the water. so its not a kort, whatever it is.

The plueger rudder has a motor actually in the rudder, which is used when the main prop ISNT used, making the much smaller motor far more effective for very slow maneuvering, almost allowing the boat to turn in its own length.

That picture looks to me to have  blades inside the rudder. If my eyes are right, then its a plueger (or a variation of one). But I'm not betting any money it yet {-) {-)

Anyone else with any ideas? :) :D ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.