Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:1 full size build  (Read 12382 times)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1:1 full size build
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 12:41:40 pm »

if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Hagar

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 03:48:54 pm »

Thanks for the links Boatmad.
The one that you show, is that the Grebe/Tammie Norri?

One of the sites had some wicked sea kayaks.... no good when you are an old paddeler that lives by the sea!!!

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 04:44:13 pm »

Hagar,

My boat is the puffin, but with a balanced lugsail.

Ian

Hammer Man

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 10:42:51 pm »

Hi Ian,

That boat looks very nice!  Well done! 

I have been offered an old boat to restore and keep for myself, unfortunatley I have no way of transporting her!  The owner has said he will hold onto it for me as its been there for years and years anyway.  I'm amazed that yours is called the Puffin.. The one I've been offered is called puffin and has 'Puffin' written on the sails.

Here's a picture I took of it.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 11:08:47 pm »

Hammer,
Puffin is the name of the design rather than the boat name. It was designed by Ian Oughtred up in Scotland.

Whereabouts is your next project laying?

Ian

Hammer Man

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 11:15:48 pm »

Hammer,
Puffin is the name of the design rather than the boat name. It was designed by Ian Oughtred up in Scotland.

Whereabouts is your next project laying?

Ian

Ahh, I didn't know that.. he thought Puffin was its name.  It is the mans outbuilding in a village near Corby Northamptonshire.  The name of the village is Laxton.  It was his grandfathers and he doesn't know anything about it other than its been sat where it is for many years since his grandfather died.  There are several masts and booms and he doesn't know what goes with what so has told me I can take the lot and figure it out for myself! haha!  I'm out of work at the moment so finances have meant I am unable to arrange anything.  Just waiting on a start date for the new job now though so with a bit of luck it won't be long before I can afford to hire a van big enough to fit the boat in!

James.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 11:27:28 pm »

James,

Depending on how heavily she is built, you may be able to roofrack it?

Have you done anything like this before? If you think I may be able to help in anyway, feel free to ask away, but you have to post pics - its the 'law'  :-))

Ian

Hammer Man

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 11:37:51 pm »

Ian,

I didn't try lifting it when I went and had a look (so haven't seen the inside even) but he said it was very heavy and would require a van or trailer so I took his word for it.  Perhaps I should go back up and see how heavy it is..

I've never done anything like this before, no.  Once bought a rowing boat that just needed a lick of paint but thats all it needed.  Sold that to get some cash when I lost my job but through word of mouth people have heard that I am fascinated with boats and thats how I ended up with a model yacht that I don't know what I'm doing with and an offer of the Puffin you see in my Picture!  I even have a pair of wooden oars in my outbuilding which were given to me from a friends father 'incase I ever need them'! 

I will certainly take you up on your offer of help and will bombard you with questions once I've collected the boat!!  And don't worry, I already intended on taking pictures as I go along so I will post them on the forum for you!  Not sure how long it will be though, perhaps a month or more depending on when I start my new job and get some cash flowing!

James.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 09:09:14 am »

My boat is the puffin, but with a balanced lugsail.

Crikey - how come I've not seen this thread before?

Boat sail numbers. I don't know why it is, but you never forget. My Dad's Mirror was 48903. He bought it from Bell's in the "unpainted" state. I sailed that almost 35 years ago. (Gawd!)

Eventually I bought an Enterprise, 18570, after racing two at school (1428 and 2793). 1428 went like stink. 2793 was a dog. I have no idea why. But what I want (really, really want) is the Oughtred Caledonia Yawl, also listed on the classic marine website.

If work do the right thing and give me a pile of cash to go in the next few months, I may just have to buy the kit.  %%

By the way, the Puffin and Sou'wester 18 in this thread are beautiful - full credit to you both. And if you ever need a crew...

Andy #1963#

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 02:58:19 pm »

Andy,

Build from plans, much more satisfying :-)) also more frustrating :}

That yawl is a beaut, on my shortlist for the next one, but it has strong competition: http://www.campionboats.co.uk/html/design___one_or_two________apple.html

Ian

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 04:10:25 pm »

Andy,

Have you considered killing two stones with one bird and adding a yawl rig to your dreadnought?  There would be room for 4 with picnic gear if you can enter via the barbette 'oles

I was given a couple of gallons of time-expired aircraft epoxy so obviously

This is Lemon8, and she has a small sister

who is exactly 1/4 scale, and was supposed to be finished first to prove the rig, etc
I'll let you guess which sailed first

I'm in the early stages of doing the brain part of a Thames barge - 8 foot long - 'cos thats how long the ply is, but my 13 year old son is growing too fast to be easliy inserted!  He is at the inch-a-month stage now and presumably heading for thinner air :}
andrew

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 04:58:36 pm »

Hi Ian - the Apple's very nice, especially the balanced lug version. And I like transoms - but I think it's a wee bit short for me.

You see, I'd thought about a Wayfarer now my boys are at an age where they need to learn how to hand, reef and steer, and after years in boats of ~14' I think it's time to stretch my legs a bit more. There's also stuff online about some serious sailing/cruising in the CY, which is well worth checking out.

need - this is non-negotiable!  :-))

Andy, there'll be no yawl rig for the Dreadnought, unless it's on the boats, but my next model will have a square sail. I'm saying no more.

8' foot barge? Now you're talking! Slightly larger mini-barge races (with a single sailor) could be a laugh. What's the likely spec on displacement, beam, etc., and I'm presuming you'd have to go for a fin-and-bulb?

Oooo. Ideas!  %%

Andy #1963#
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.