Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: voith propeler  (Read 13437 times)

Umi_Ryuzuki

Re: voith propeler
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 05:07:04 am »

http://www.shipsofcalmac.co.uk/h_jupiter.asp

thats an interesting article which describes a calmac ferry which had 2 of these units fitted in line.

the captain of the ship herself said it was a failed design.  Its interesting reading.

The Sound of Sleat, and the Molengat class have been running for quite some time.
I wonder if they suffer from the same issues.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 10:54:15 am »

We have been running Voith Schneider tugs since the 70's. Single unit harbour tugs and twin unit harbour/coastal tugs.
The twin units do suffer with vibration(they are side-by-side).
The twin unit tugs are having their life extended for the next 25 yrs.
The main problems are draught and initial cost.
I have been on a single unit tug which took a cable in her unit, not nice at all, she heeled well over 45 degrees before the engine stalled!!
Purely because of cost the replacements are going to be 360 degree Azimuth twin screw units.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

catengineman

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 08:53:20 pm »

I may have a slight advantage and bias in regarding drive units,

I am a chief engineer and have come up in the ranks (through demotion) working on single screw, twin screw conventional vessels then to V S tugs both single and twin and also have worked with Z drive and ASD so I like ASD's the most for control / noise
V S for control and shear power standard screws for long haul (noise factor and ride) but that is all on real vessels.

Within the model side of my life I still own an ASD tug (Tito Neri) I did own a VS tug (Venture) I have has a Smit Denmarken used a Yorkshireman rebuilt and used several others so I have a good all round respect for each type of set up.
I have only had a few small problems with the Graupner ASD units, the servos need to be very strong to keep the unit in check and the way the prop and shaft Assembly is constructed which I sorted with a mod and some 5 blade brass props.
The V S units are truly great all be it for the set up which takes some Patience two servos to each unit and a slight adjustment on one is not always the thing but both need to be adjusted in conjunction, (mind numbing) a speed controller can be used if you desire but I ran my units as as in the real world which meant that pitch and position controlled the thrust.
VS verses ASD verses Std screw?

In the model world they are all just so much fun I cant decide. they each have their merits (for me)

Oh and yes the V S tug is Sooooo much lighter than the others.

Garabaldy

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 01:16:03 pm »

how are the VS units with batterys?  Do they eat into them or are they quite efficient?

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 01:32:35 pm »

Just to clarify (??) things further, a Voith prop is essentially a feathering paddle wheel turned on its side and given a movable offset feathering axis.

Barry M

catengineman

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 11:09:02 pm »

how are the VS units with battery's?  Do they eat into them or are they quite efficient?

I ran twin units at full speed when I used the Venture and the main 12 volt SLA battery's lasted hours,

yes hours I did fit a further 6 volt SLA to run the rec as the small rec pack would fail before the main drive bat's

R,

Just to clarify (??) things further, a Voith prop is essentially a feathering paddle wheel turned on its side and given a movable offset feathering axis.

Barry M

Yes,

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 12:38:01 am »

R,

If you check, there's no question mark at the end of my comment.

BM

catengineman

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2008, 02:37:35 pm »

Oops  :D

sorry I should wear the correct glasses when on the computer.

just a slight missunderstanding on my part.

R,

over_powered84

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 03:28:31 am »

found this sim on another froum bit of fun

john

http://www.voithturbo.com/545950.htm
found there site a couple months back and found this thread at early am, i found their documents parts of the site and ordered certain files one of them being the interactive voith program and another being an intro video about voith's....was sent completely free to my address within a week or 2 it was
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.