Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hull building  (Read 1682 times)

Garabaldy

Hull building
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:51:42 am »

Ok i have some jpeg plans for a tug.  The hull drawing with all the "squigly" lines on it is just an end view showing the profiles of the "frames".  But thats all there is, no drawing showing the she shape of the hull with all the contour lines.  But after some messing around in autocad i managed to produce one but when i project the positions of the frames they are not evenly spaced along the hull.  Does this matter or have i gone wrong some where?

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Hull building
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 10:19:29 am »

You may well find that the frames are drawn closer together where the curvature of the hull changes more sharply i.e. at the bow and stern. If you "wire frame" you 2D views then any horrible mistakes will jump out at you!
FLJ

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hull building
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 06:01:03 pm »

Haven't we touched on this before? It's a common mistake for a modeller to confuse "frames" and "sections"...or "stations" on a hull drawing. For modelling purposes forget "frames". I doubt many modellers have hull drawings with the frames marked anyway as they are constructional and about 2' apart. However, the stations (a sort of frame drawing) are equally spaced along the vessels length. In the "middle" part of the hull where the lines are reasonably similar the stations can be drawn at full distance apart. Let us assume a ships hull with 20 stations. From station (say) 7 to (say) station 14 they can all be full distance apart and equidistant from each other. At the ends of the hull you will probably see the stations are "halved"....so you get 6.5, 6, 5.5, 5 and so on..and a very fine hull may even go to quarters...but the prime numbers are always equidistant from each other. Hope this helps. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.