Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MK 48 torpodo hitting a warship  (Read 3524 times)

Tom_DK

MK 48 torpodo hitting a warship
« on: July 25, 2008, 06:49:53 pm »

Wow, that is some impressive torpedo explosion in this video.

http://infocast.dk/bt/mediamaker.php?id=4190

--
Tom

Martin13

Re: MK 48 torpodo hitting a warship
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:39:38 pm »

Hi Tom,

That was an Australian Collins Class submarine testing the new heavy Torpedo on an American ship - very impressive. Hope it hasn't strained our relationship with the yanks ;D ;D

Martin down under

Garabaldy

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 12:57:58 am »

sorry if i sound really stupid here but why would the australiians test a torpedo on an american ship?  Isnt this an act of war?  Im assuming its not as it would have been all over the news if it was.  Which part of the story did i miss? :embarrassed:

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 10:53:20 am »

Live fire exercise at the end of an intensive series of war games and training Garabaldy nothing more to worry about. The Aus sub was chosen to test the new Mk48 simply to check the onboard fire control equipment was operating properly as far as I know ( and to promote cross country ties ).
Davie Tait,
Scotland

packy46

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

farrow

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 06:00:02 pm »

Well at least we all know this torpedo works, more than you could say for the british Mk 24(tigerfish) when it entered service.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 03:01:30 pm »

not sure what you made of it but the torpedo looked to actually miss the hull and detonate UNDERNEATH the hull, rather than penetrate then detonate. 
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 03:27:53 pm »

Thats how they work when hitting a surface ship Ghost. They rely on the detonation causing a vacuum beneath the keel which sucks the hull down the instant before the explosion pushes upwards breaking the ships back. First used in WW2 by the Germans ( G7e ) and by the Royal Navy ( MK VIII ** ). The Bismark torpedo attacks failed the first time ( thankfully as it was one of our cruisers they attacked !! ) when the magnetic detonators malfunctioned. The US Navy also had serious problems for the first year of the Pacific war with the Magnetic detonators failing to work.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 12:44:03 pm »

i served on ASW Frigates & there's pictures of my old ship Berwick (cant look at the old girl like that though!), broken in 2 by one torpedo, they never put that in in the enlistment book!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.