Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Work Shops  (Read 2515 times)

GaryM

Work Shops
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:35:28 pm »

Hi
I have bought my kit, motor, RC, batteries, prop, ESP, glue, fibreglass and resin, Dremel and such like, but what's the ideal 'shed / workshop' set up?

My shed will be an 8ft x 10ft (when I've got the ground cleared) and I will fit it specifically for my boat building. 
(Dad doesn't know this yet, he thinks that he can over winter his Chrysanthemums in it ;D)  - I'm sure some sort of agreement can be sorted though!

Are there any 'must haves? Pillar drill, Lathe, Miller etc.

Has any one got any thoughts / photo's of your workshop and tools needed?

regards
Gary

catengineman

Re: Work Shops
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:54:27 pm »

Yes ALL of the above but minus the Chrysanthemums !

O the biggest must have A BIGGER SHED ? GARAGE O0 ;D

R,

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:28:32 am »

Thing is ,it dont matter how big your shed/workshop/garage is it will never be big enough.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

GaryM

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:33:39 am »

Thanks both O0

Gary

Roger in France

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 06:35:35 am »

For me, a new workshop must have the largest, firmest workbench you can arrange. If possible build it in (mine has a sub-deck of a railway sleeper!). There is nothing worse than a bench which bounces. If you cannot build it in make a very, very heavy frame.

Then if you need a construction table to walk around (and adequate space) a portable tabletop on trestles will be fine.

Roger in France.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 06:40:50 am »

Currntly my workbech is a small old kitchen table with a piece of block board on top, with batten around the edge (underside) to stop it moving around.
The batten board means I don't paint/drill/chip the table.

It is a poor subsitiute for a proper bench, but is ok unless I need to saw something.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 08:21:12 am »

One of the most usefull things I have bought over the last few years was a kitchen island trolley.  This enables me to walk around the model I am building and move it around safely.  There is nothing worse than having to constantly turn your model around on a workbench to get to the other side when you always run the risk of damaging something.

Of course I am lucky enough to have the space for it but if you have it is well worth thinking about.  Probably not one of your first aquisitions though.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

GaryM

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:00:53 pm »

Thanks guys
I will be building a frame out of 4" x 4" and fixing it directly to the shed, my last shed had an off cut from a kitchen work surface - heavy and flat.  The price is a bit steep though for a new one.
Anyone bought any power tools from Aldi?  (pillar drill grinder etc.)  I saw a pillar drill a few weeks ago in Aldi - it looked fine and was a good price.

regards
Gary

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 08:23:19 pm »

I have recently purchased the Aldi pillar drill, and found it to be quite a bargain. There is adjustable speed control with different gear wheels, but I have found it not really necessary to change speed yet.
It's a quiet runner and vibration free, and even comes with a vice to hold the parts under the drill tip.

Hope this helps

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 08:51:35 pm »

I once had a belt driven pillar drill and it did tend to rattle and bang around a bit.  Cheap and cheerfull but I would go for a gear driven unit if you are after accuracy.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

GaryM

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 10:41:56 pm »

Thanks Ken and Bunkerbarge.
I'll keep an eye out at Aldi - they have different tools at different times. :)
The belt driven idea is a bit too much for me, but I suppose you could power more than one tool? :)

regards
Gary :)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 10:49:53 pm »

Nice one Gary!  {-)

The belt drive is within the pillar drill from the motor to the chuck spindle - not external!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

GaryM

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 11:52:37 pm »

Sorry Bunkerbarge and Ian, I'm on a different planet tonight!

With the degree of professionalism seen on this site, it seemed normal to think powering more than one tool from a belt driven assembly entirely reasonable.
I was looking at a model steam engine site recently and saw some 'belt' driven accessories, powered by a steam / electric engine. (modern ones)  I used saws, drills, millers on this principal when I was a Pantographer.  (I've finished digging)  :embarrassed:

Gary : :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.