Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Break in  (Read 12201 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Break in
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 09:04:49 pm »

Barry, we will be painting a mural on it ASAP, at the moment, the lovely white sides scream "graffiti me"  %)

Colin, it's a good idea to lock them inside, but first they have to be caught.

Peter.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 09:26:20 pm »

Colin B you really do have some good ideas <*< <*< <*<

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 05:23:24 pm »

Dear Peter,

Have just noticed your Post. Very sorry to hear, but glad to hear things are rapidly being put right :-))

The problem of feral uncontrolled children is a growing one unfortunately (UK anyway), and as this grows, the problem of unruly,uncaring, unprincipled teenagers unfortunately grows with it as a result >:-o

Schools find it increasingly difficulty to maintain control (I refrain from using the word discipline as this went into the PC bin years ago!), since there is little they can do to enforce it, and there are not that many who are capable of doing it in the way it should be done anyway - as sign of the times maybe? Whatever anyone says, once children go to Upper schools these days, and see the antics and behaviour of a 'significant number', and how little the authorities do and can do about it, the problem accelerates. Furthermore, the so called procedures available to the Courts to deal with such matters is in the main pitifully inadequate, and not helped by Magistrates and Judiciary who like to be seen to be being PC - for personal gain whatever. The end result is that completely the wrong signal is sent out to those who should be receiving the full brunt of the meaning, however as a result, the Courts get laughed at... and so the wheel turns! Is it a bit like this in Aust. these days?

It is likely your Group might turn out to be aware of the culprits. They will not be too far away. Obviously they 'went prepared' and were very deliberate in their purpose, so it wasn't just a chance in-passing 'whim' matter. Anyway, what's done is done, and I hope that the perpetrators will be caught, but, it would be wise to have a very solid steel construction built over the locking area to prevent bolt cutters being used again - the only way of getting in then would be oxy acetylene, and the chance of this happening would be remote!  :-))

One other suggestion. They will definitely without any doubt return, CCTV would be a rather good idea. If you cannot connect them from the previous offence, you can at least be aware of what might happen again and try them for it. I have a zero tolerance of such things, and have no truck whatsoever for the do-gooding attitudes of those who support the law breaking of others - they, now, similarly as the perpetrators of the original crime, must accept the same responsibility as the offenders (seeing as they defend same), therefore, I see them in the same light as the original offenders. Harsh words I know, but that's the world we live in now... the offenders determine such. <*<

So that the Moderators are aware, this will not go beyond this statement as I will not state any further! ok2

Regards, Bernard

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 08:56:20 pm »

Bernard (Polaris), Thank you for your comments. Regarding lock protection, if you look at the photos I posted, you will notice a grey area on the door of the new container, which is exactly as you described. The only access to the lock is from the bottom, preventing bolt cutters from being used.

CCTV would be good, but there is no power nearby, and besides, the cost would be prohibitive for our small group.

The offenders remain unknown and at large, and may well remain so. Hopefully, now that police are aware of the incident, they will perform random checks during their regular patrols.

Peter.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 09:23:43 pm »

Dear Peter,

Good, such protection at least prevents the most determined.

CCTV can be solar powered don't forget, and need not be as prohibitive in cost as you might presume p partic. if you have the local constab. on tow!

Again, you might be interested in knowing that the psychology of arson determines that in 90% of cases the perpetrators or perpetrator will return to see the fire and watch it, in 60% of cases the perpetrators are known to the affected. Unfortunately/or fortunately they will return to to see what happens after the event. To do what they did they have a grudge of some kind, for whatever reason - hence what I have said prev. - therefore it would be prudent to 'be prepared'.

Regards, Bernard

bobdoc

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 09:46:31 pm »

Dear Peter

"...the lovely white sides scream "graffiti me" reminded me of an artist friend of my family. He was asked to paint a mural on a long retaining wall leading to the main door of his university.

Realising a) the plain wall and b) a conventional mural would be a target for graffiti artists, he painted a themed graffiti design - after at least 10 years, no additional unofficial graffiti to date.

Perhaps an artistic club member of friend to clad the inviting virgin white container with a suitable design of the graffiti-school with a suitable nautical theme.

The main thing, let's all trust the contents will be safe and sound .... no matter the external artistic endeavours

Bobdoc

bobdoc

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 09:54:25 pm »

Sorry, folks, this Scot is still trying to type in English!

"Perhaps an artistic club member of friend to clad the inviting virgin white container with a suitable design of the graffiti-school with a suitable nautical theme" should read:

Perhaps an artistic club member or friend would be willing to clad the inviting virgin white container with a suitable design of the graffiti-school with a suitable nautical theme

Tricky things, those little words!

Ah, weel, back to typing school!

Bobdoc

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 10:02:11 pm »

Why not take a leaf out of naval practice and dazzle paint it? That way they either won't see it at all or won't be able tell which direction it's in.

And it might give them a headache.....

Colin

Roger in France

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 06:36:59 am »

There is a product called "Anti-graffitti Paint" but I guess it will be expensive. How about rendering it with gravel (use a mix of colours). I know it could still be sprayed upon but it would not be possible to paint on it with a brush.

Roger in France

dan

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 07:39:02 am »

i peter,

just read your post and we had a similar thing happen to our club house only we used to share it with a small cafe and the workers of the lake. youths broke in, destroyed everything and then burnt it down. There was absolutely nothing left. its a shame because there used to be small rowing boat's kept in there which were enjoyed by young children every year and it had all of our clubs accessories. Shortly after the fire the council put up portaloos up for everyone, but then exactly the same thing happened again, youths broke in, destroyed them completely until they were unusable. Now our club has no shelter and the nearest toilets are half a mile away >>:-(

OMK

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 07:48:09 am »

Pee-wee, congrat's on the new kit-out.

Regarding anti-burgulary measures, why not try an electrified cattle fence, connect the business end to the lock/handle/point of entry?

barryfoote

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 07:51:18 am »

Pee-wee, congrat's on the new kit-out.

Regarding anti-burgulary measures, why not try an electrified cattle fence, connect the business end to the lock/handle/point of entry?

WHAT??????? And risk hurting the poor little, misunderstood darlings!!!!

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:36 am »

Yes and when you wire it to the power instead of a 12volt supply............... <*< <*<

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 12:53:11 pm »

Unfortunately even a cattle electric fencer is regarded as an infringement on civil liberties and human rights, and I would not advise doing this as you would have the little devils suing you! O0 >>:-(

However, you can get a very special paint like stuff (bit grease like), that stains their little hands, but the problem is it can get on you as well! >:-o So is a bit self defeating - and if a member of the public get's it on them by accident you could end up back at square one! <:(

There is no evidence as good as video evidence.

dan

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 09:17:26 pm »

the only problem with the CCTV is that the youths do it during the night and their all wearing hoods and hats so we dont see there faces  {:-{

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 09:33:28 pm »

Done that with high voltage low ampherage ,wired to my shed handle and the foot grate after i had disturbed visitors one evening .
Wired it up for the next night through a movement sensor so that they had to be in an area where they should not be .
It worked for me as the little angel got the shock of his life and never returned .
Oh and i tried it out for myself  and it gave a good tickle , but i knew what to expect O0 .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Garabaldy

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 10:02:42 pm »

You're probably right TT. If it was kids, and if by chance they were caught, they would most likely get nothing more than a slap on the wrist, and told not to do it again.
It still makes me mad though, and I can't imagine the mentality of people who would commit such a mindless and destructive act.
BRING BACK CORPORAL PUNISHMENT I SAY, AND GIVE THEM A GOOD FLOGGING. Have to catch them first, and anyway, flogging them would be an infringement of their "rights". Rant over.
Peter.

This is a terrible thing and it happens everywhere all the time.  I am sad to admit this but i know people in their late 20s who do stuff like this when they get drunk/take drugs.  We definately shouldnt be so quick to assume its youngsters.

What i really want to say is corporal punishment is DEFINATLY not the way to solve this problem.  I do not argue/ rant about many things but i am hugelly against corporal punishment.  If this was brought back into the UK system it would be a HUGE step back in civilisation.  Look at countries such as Afghanistan where you can be burried up to your neck in the ground and stoned to death?  Thats not civilisation.  Thats one end of the scale.  Obviously we are talking other end of the scale here, floggings, slaps on the wrists etc.  We dont allow 15 year olds to watch violent movies but some individuals are happy to give them a good slap because they did somthing wrong?  Isn't that some kind of a contradiction?  EVERY single punishible crime in the UK works by "deterent" ie theres a consequence.  Should crime, all crime that is not be tackled from the other side.  PREVENTiON.  Make people understand why things are wrong.  Making people understand why its wrong, why they shouldnt do things such as vandalism.  Punishment doesnt work because the wrong has already been done.  Prevent the wrong from happening and then theres no need for punishment right?  Prisons have been around for 300 years or so and they are the easiest place to get heroin in the country.  Prison clearly doesnt work as people are in and out of them all their lives + it costs the tax payer a fortune.   Im sorry to have gone off on a tangent but i believe there needs to be a huge amount of inovative thought put into crime prevention rather than all this talk of punishment.

A very smart man once said "no sane man believes in the british justice system"

I suffered corporal punishment as a youngster and all it did was make me defiant.

Back to the thread.  You can make standard iso containers (which is what you have by the looks of it) bom proof just about it just costs a little more.  I hope you get another murial painted on the container as your previous one was stunning.  Vandalisim is a plague we will have to deal with for a long time.  Be carefull when talking about CCTV though, sooner or later the UK is going to be a giant big brother.

My first rant on mayhem -

G

OMK

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 11:21:24 pm »

"I suffered corporal punishment as a youngster..."

Ah, and there goes the crux of the matter.
Mr. G, do you mind if I bung a question your way?...
What eventually happened to whoever it was dishing-out that corporal punishment? Assuming that he/she is still alive, at what point did you finally look up and say, "Enough!"?
I don't mean to pry into your personals', but if he or she is indeed still alive, then why?

catengineman

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2008, 12:10:25 am »

Just a little on the CCTV idea.

I had some problems at my home where the badge's on my car were being stolen?
I reproted the crime's and each time got a crime number from PC plod. (fat lot of good that does when you have to pay an excess twice the cost of the badges)

So being as the local police had no joy in catching said criminals I installed CCTV to record anything and every thing that went on around my car (on MY drive way)
Reported the findings to the friendly policeman even showed the recording.
All very well even could make out who the youth was which is when I was told that it was not in my best interest to have recorded the person (a minor) I could face arrest, prosecution and further that as my wide angle camera could see onto the public pavement I was in breach of other laws... it was at that stage my mind went fuzzy
I could show that this youth was damaging MY property but I would not be able to use it in the courts because it was against HIS civil liberty etc etc
There is more to this story but I will not go into it as it caused me a lot of grief.
camera's are still there and we can but dont record.

R,

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2008, 01:00:51 am »

Thanks, everyone, for all the replies.

Roger, the mural on the previous container was treated with "anti-graffiti" paint, which is simply a clear layer from which graffiti is easily removed using a special graffiti remover liquid. It prevents the graffiti from adhering to the paint of the mural. We did have a graffiti attack several months before the fire, and 2 of us had no trouble removing it inside 30 minutes.

I don't think the actual fire was purely arson, but an act of spite. I believe the offenders thought there were marketable items in the container, but when they realised that there was nothing of commercial value, they used the mower petrol stored inside to start the fire, out of pure frustration. We have a ride on mower, worth in excess of $1000, which they couldn't start because of a number of built in safety features, so they pushed it into our salt water lake instead. Had they left it in the container, it too would have been burnt. It has been refurbished, and is now working well.

Garabaldy, I grew up in an era when corporal punishment was the norm, and I don't think it has adversely affected me (others may have different ides  :-) ). I'm not talking bashing, or causing bodily harm, merely a smack for a naughty child. As far as corporal punishment for perpetrators of crime goes, I was only joking, although, come to think of, perhaps it's not such a bad idea after all  ;)

Peter.

kiwi

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2008, 06:32:10 am »

WhenALL  PARENTS assume responsibility for the CHILDREN they brought into the world, then maybe, just maybe, we will have a safe and civilized world to live in.
kiwi

Garabaldy

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 08:49:24 am »

WhenALL  PARENTS assume responsibility for the CHILDREN they brought into the world, then maybe, just maybe, we will have a safe and civilized world to live in.
kiwi

Correct :-))

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 01:15:03 pm »

Smack a two to four year old lightly to correct misbehavior and the world would be
a much better place, let the coppers kick youngsters in the backside and send them home,
give the teachers back the kane and the whole world would be a lot better of......
If there was to be any corporal punishment, it should be administrated to three
groups, protesters, do-gooders and political correctness............ <*< <*<

One can only hope

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Garabaldy

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2008, 03:14:49 pm »

i couldnt disagree with you more Roy.  But everyones entitled to their own opinion.  :-)

barryfoote

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2008, 03:36:13 pm »

i couldnt disagree with you more Roy.  But everyones entitled to their own opinion.  :-)

And this from a man who thinks that painting someones wall with graffitti should not be a crime!!!!I give up...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.