Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Break in  (Read 12195 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Break in
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:29:54 am »

I've just had a message from one of our club members back home in Australia letting me know that the container at our sailing lake has been broken into, set on fire, and all the contents destroyed. Our club has had, a good ride on mower, which was pushed into the lake, and as the lake is salt water, the insurance company wrote it off. Our 10' aluminium rescue dinghy was melted by the heat of the fire, as were the electric outboard motor, push mower and grass trimmer. We also had 4 club boats plus their radios stored in the container, as well as folding chairs and 4 collapsible gazebos. Our frequency board was found relatively unharmed, floating in the lake. Apparently the culprits used bolt cutters to gain access, so one would question whether kids were involved. Perhaps they pushed the mower into the lake out of spite, as it was quite tricky to start due to safety features. Fortunately our insurance will cover most of the loss, but it just makes me so angry at the senselessness of it.  >>:-( >>:-( The container also had a professionally painted mural on it, which we had cleaned graffiti from, just before I left for overseas. The photo shows the container before a roof had been built over it.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Peter.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Break in
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 01:39:57 pm »

Hi Peter,

Sad news. It is possible the perps assumed wrongly that models were kept in the container. I doubt it was proffessinal thieves, as they would not have spent needles time to set fire, and risk getting caught. Probably drunken kids.

At least you were insured.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 02:43:23 pm »

You're probably right TT. If it was kids, and if by chance they were caught, they would most likely get nothing more than a slap on the wrist, and told not to do it again.
It still makes me mad though, and I can't imagine the mentality of people who would commit such a mindless and destructive act.
BRING BACK CORPORAL PUNISHMENT I SAY, AND GIVE THEM A GOOD FLOGGING. Have to catch them first, and anyway, flogging them would be an infringement of their "rights". Rant over.
Peter.

Roger in France

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:23:59 pm »

I have to object to the assumption that all vandalism is carried out by "kids".

Does attributing it to "kids" add anything to a sad story of needless vandalism? Why increase the gulf between adults and "kids" by immediately jumping to unnecessary conclusions?

Such immediate assumptions without any evidence often reflects on those making the remark (and possibly their age).

Before anyone says, "....but it usually is kids...", let me ask that when you know and have evidence, then say it. Otherwise it may be wrong and is usually unnecessary.

Not a trendy liberal just someone who once ran a rather large youth service and believes that there are many great youngsters about and even if some/many are not all that great they are, nonetheless our future.

Roger in France.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 05:44:43 pm »

I think Roger is correct, it is not always kids that cause the problems, I have recently had graffiti painted on the wall of my property, but I know this was done after 10-30pm on a school night so I suspect and so do the Police that it was more likely to be someone in their late teens, early 20's.
Kids do sometimes damage things but NOT always.
Alan

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:25:38 pm »

It depends how you define the word "kids". Most of the vandalism occurring in our area is perpetrated by young people, under the age of 20. I am not implying that those who damaged our container were very young, but having said that, it would not surprise me if they were. Our area has had problems with groups of youngsters, some of them only 10 to 12 years old, causing damage to property quite late at night, often as late as midnight or even after. In cases such as these, one has to ask "Where are the parents, how is it that children of that age are out at that time of night?". However, given the fact that bolt cutters were used to remove the, supposedly secure, padlocks, it would seem that at least some of them were in their late teens or older.
Roger, I'm not sure how "making a remark like that" reflects on me, or my age. Perhaps it's because when you get to my age, anyone under the age of 25 is a kid.  ;D
Peter.

Roger in France

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 07:53:52 pm »

Peter,

No, it is because after some years it is easy (too easy) to say "It's those kids". But we need not do it with a little generosity. After all are our children not entitled to say "Look at the mess the world is in, it's those adults"?

Hey take me back to your cruise, it is much more fun than my kitchen table philosophising!

Roger in France.

GaryM

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 11:58:44 pm »

Sorry to here your news Peter. :(

I suppose at the end of the day it don't matter who done it, the fact is it was done and worse still was almost certainly pre meditated.
I would support your idea of youngsters I'm afraid, sorry Roger.
My reasons for this would be - nothing stolen - if I were to have committed the crime (47yrs) - I would have nicked some stuff to sell at a car boot or similar. 
I agree with Roger in the fact it's all too easy to point a finger, but two 13 - 16 yr olds at a school in Birmingham I worked at this year (separate occasions) were 'Excluded' for bringing loaded 'real' guns into school, they grow up far too quickly - a pair of bolt cutters could be purchased 'legally' over the counter.

Gary :(

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 02:31:00 am »

OK I recant. :embarrassed: It wasn't kids.

It was me and a bunch of other GOGS, high on Sanatogen and elderbery wine.  ;)
Raising hell coz the nurse hid the prozac :embarrassed:, we are envious of the fun other  modellers are having, and are jealous of Peter Fitness's obvious virility for his age. O0
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

2 Hoots Turfrey

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 05:45:17 pm »

Let me reasure some of you! I'm 23 (so therefore a kid in some of your eyes). Having spent all my life in a house being vandalised and having mine and my family's cars vandilised, I can honestly say that this is one "kid" who would never make anyone go through what I had to! All my friends have the same morals as me and I know for a fact we will bring our kids up to know that that sort of behaviour is well and truely wrong and punishable!
We're not all bad  :)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 05:52:36 pm »

No one is saying ALL youngsters are bad.
It is the same old story the minority ruin it for the majority.
It is most likely that "youngsters" did the damage as older ones will steal. Not just ruin.
There lies the problem, a few "youngsters" can do a lot of serious damage to property and reputations in a very short time.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

OMK

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

Who cares WHO done it. The main issue is that SOME dirty little waste of skin has busted-up Peter Fitness's clubhouse. The whole thing stinks and I for one would feel gutted if'n it were to happen to I.
So, to this end, a quick word to Mr Fitness...

Dude, if you can hear me, I'm offering a couple of old boats and a couple of old transmitters if it's any help towards getting your club back on the road. The transmitters' ARE old, by today's standard, but they are working. Both are complete with receivers - and I'll even bung in a few servos. The boats are both Fairacre II cruiser models. They're not super-swanky by any means, but they're yours if you think it'll help. Don't fret on shipping fees - I'll take care of that from this end.
I'll also rally around and ask a few of my mates if they want to chip in. Maybe even a few Mayhem'ers might want to do ditto. Maybe we can get enough gear together and send it all together in one package.

In the meantime, don't let it ruin your hols. Pse pass on my condolences to you clubmates.

A kind and well meant post. Pity about a little innapropriate language. Moderated

Roger in France
Global Moderator.

OMK

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 06:40:56 pm »

Rog, you failed to include the hypthon between 'well' and 'meant'. Although, I'm sure you know that already, being that you're a man of education.
Say, while you're there, how do you fancy being the first to join me in offering Mr Fitness's club a few freebies? You know - you being half British and all.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 05:01:24 pm »

Sorry I've taken so long to reply, but I have had no internet access. We are currently in Eastbourne with friends, and I'm using their computer. Thanks PMK for your very kind offer, but fortunately our club is fully insured and replacement equipment will be acquired, but I really appreciate your offer. I only have a few more days left in the UK, as we leave for London tomorrow, and fly out on Monday 26th.
Peter

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 05:05:31 pm »

Just AFTER the Mayhem weekend then Peter!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

GaryM

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 09:35:50 pm »

Have a safe flight :)  (thought you might be sailing though!) ;D

Regards
Gary

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 04:40:22 pm »

Yes Bob, unfortunately I won't be at Wicksteed, but would have loved to go. We have just driven into central London - was that an experience!! We are staying near Paddington station, and I had to drop the car off near Marble Arch, would have been reasonably easy except for b@#***y road works, even the access to our hotel was barricaded off. However, we're here and have free internet access too, so it's not all bad.
I watched some RC sailors in Eastbourne on Sunday, and found it very interesting. I haven't had anything to do with sailing, so it looked rather confusing to me, with yachts going every which way, and someone shouting instructions to some of the skippers, maybe they were incurring penalties. The Eastbourne lake looked very nice too, and the weather seemed ideal, with a brisk breeze keeping the models moving quite quickly. Maybe I should have a go at that branch of the hobby, we have some good sailing water quite close to us at home.
Peter

OMK

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 03:56:12 am »

No sweat, Mr. F.
From my experience of working with you Oz boys, I'm pretty sure you would have done the same for a Pom.
Pretty sure you'll be homeward bound or maybe even home by the time you read this. So here's a belated 'bon voyage'.

By the way, You were in Minehead just the other day. About 16 miles as the crow flies from my neck of the woods. Shame we didn't get to meet.
Thanks for posting all them pics - especially the Panama canal. (So what really happened to that container?)

Re: the clubhouse. Keep us posted on what's happening.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 08:15:57 pm »

Glad you liked the pics PMK. I can only guess what happened to those containers, but I'm glad I wasn't in one. I'm still in London, the hotel has free WIFI internet, and we always carry our laptop with us. We fly out Monday night - it takes about 24 hours including a short stop in Singapore. Where exactly do you live?
Peter.

OMK

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 08:54:37 pm »

A small village just outside of Bridgwater. Depending on which route you took, you reached Minehead either via Bridgwater or Taunton. Both routes pretty much within spitting distance of here. Seems a shame you came all this way and yet........
Can't say I'm envious of your forthcoming flight. All that time on the big metal bird, crammed in like sardines.... The 10-hr flight to California is usually enough to get me tearing at the windows, let alone 24 hours of that particular caper. Enjoy your journey home, though (even if it means going all that time without a ciggie!).

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 08:35:42 am »

We went to Minehead via Bridgewater, but we also went for a drive to Taunton whilst in Minehead. Also went to such places as Lynmouth and Porlock Weir, plus we did a trip on the West Somerset Railway to Bishops Lydeard. We liked Minehead, and stayed in a friend's apartment in Metropole Court, right on the waterfront, and only 200 metres from the railway station.
Peter

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 09:43:54 am »

A pity you couldnt have popped 2 miles down the road, i had a couple of tinnies in the fridge just in case!!
Just glad you enjoyed your trip!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 03:39:56 am »

As mentioned in my original post, our club's shipping container / storage shed was broken into and destroyed by fire earlier this year.

I'm happy to report that we now have a new container on site, as of this morning our time. After much hard work by some of our members, and kindness by some of the local business community, we were able to obtain an almost new container, aluminium, lined inside with stainless steel, and insulated. It was originally a refrigerated container, which explains the insulation, so it will be ideal in our sub-tropical climate. In a well co-ordinated operation, which involved a truck to take away the old container, another truck delivering the new one, a crane to do the lifting, and a local council team to control traffic, the old container was removed, and the new one put in place.

We will now be able to replace some of the destroyed items, and house them in a (hopefully) more secure facility. Some photos of the proceedings are below.

Peter.

barryfoote

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 08:08:54 am »

I am very pleased for you and your club members Peter. Now you just have to keep the little darlings out of it...

Is anybody going to paint a theme on it? or will that just encourage the yobs?

Barry

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 08:38:40 am »

Might do more good locking the so & sos inside it! It's insulated so you won't hear them scream. Then you can get on with the boating....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.