Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deck Beams?  (Read 1577 times)

GaryM

Deck Beams?
« on: May 09, 2008, 03:27:10 pm »

Hi
I have to cut 4 deck beams, theres no description of these and the instructions say to cut them from a 30cm length supplied - no dimensions and no 30cm length of material supplied - there is a 53cm length of 20mm x 10mm however.
I don't understand what they are there for, where they go, or what size they are.  I have taken a pic of the instructions para that starts -
"After cutting this hole........"
and a pic that shows the description - Item 272.
Any advice would be welcome ;) :)

regards
Gary

barryfoote

Re: Deck Beams?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:33:20 pm »

Gary,

Sorry but the first photo failed to come down. I believe though that the wood for the deck beams has to be quite sturdy as it does carry alot of weight. The beams also add rigidity to the model, so I would not be surprised if the 20mm x 10mm was not for this purpose.

Barry

GaryM

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:38:01 pm »

Thanks Barry
I did some editing and it has come out now - I think your right - but what size do I cut them - if it's for support, I guess it's a bit of common sense and allot of glue. ;D

regards
Gary :)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 06:20:32 pm »

Garry,

This is another problem I found with the Caldercraft Instructions - vague is not vague enough to describe them :o Other manufacturers give you a picture of the parts as well as the reference number.

Have you fitted deck bearers round the inside of the hull? If so you need to cut the beams to fit across the width of the boat, but clearing those supports. This is a bit tricky as obviously from the instructions there will be a camber to the deck. If is is possible, you also really want to tie the beams into these supports, but this may not be possible, apart from a generous dollop of glue on the ends ;)

Hope this helps,

Barrie

GaryM

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 07:09:56 pm »

Thanks Barrie.

It's starting to sink in after reading some other build threads as well. 
So I think it's to support / reinforce the deck, hull and fittings.
Thanks again - it's a lot clearer now O0

regards
Gary

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.