Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Armstrong and Miller, what a team.  (Read 4224 times)

bigfella

Armstrong and Miller, what a team.
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:02:49 pm »

Hi All

Here in Australia we have to rely on the TV networks to guess what TV shows we might find funny. Unfortunately they seem to miss the mark. Most comedy shows that seem to make it on TV here are USA Sitcoms and quite frankly are not funny. Occasionally some UK shows slip through and I ask myself how did it take so long for the networks to realise that these shows are really funny. One show in particular is Armstrong and Miller Show, and doing some research have found that you guys in the UK have had this team for a long time. My favorite is the two RAF pilots with the upper class accents talking street talk. Now that cuts me up every time.............isn't it {-) {-) {-). Are there any more shows like it that we have been deprived of here in the outposts. We have only just watched the First series made in 2007 and I know that they did shows about 5 years ago. Is there any more new shows comming???

Regards David

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Armstrong and Miller, what a team.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:09:45 am »

The Fast Show
The ultimate fast show DVD collection was released at the end of last year on BBC DVD.
The first few episodes are a bit slow but they are introducing you to the charachters who develop nicley, as do the scenarios that develop.

The Office
Ricky Gervais' first TV outing is a very funny sitcom. A mockumentary about an office in Slough. Painfully funny at times, some of the scenes manke you want to cringe.
The Office 2.
An american version of the original, also has its moments.

Extras.
By the same guy who did The Office. Very different, and very funny. Even funnier than the office.

Fry and Luarie
A bit dated now, very 80's very British.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:09:50 am »

'Big Train'. Absolutely hysterical. I have it on DVD somewhere.
For a truly original comedy programme it's hard to beat 'Peep Show' which stars Mitchell and Webb. They also had another sketch based show called 'That Mitchell & Webb Look' unbelivably funny - even SWMBO thought so.
Mogsy

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:11:29 am »

The League of Gentlemen - especially series 1 and parts of series 2 - though I preferred the original radio series

QI - we are QI fanatics here.

Only really just getting into Armstrong And Miller though I really like their send up of Flanders and Swan:

(Warning not for the faint of heart)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEv6dqVPLSM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cveZR4e91kU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL1zs4OKYAU
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 06:04:15 pm »

One of the things I loved about Aussie TV was "The News". Having a presenter calling a spade a spade (nothing racial here) was marvelous. When you compare them to our ridiculously overpaid "Readers"....and that is all they are...give me the Aussie version anytime.
Notes from a simple seaman

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 06:09:43 pm »

Bryan

You would have got in wel with my mate Ron he used to call a spade an F***ing shovel.

As a consultant he left something to be desired  O0  but he did know what he was talking about (which was the second thing to damn him  :angel: )

Doug
Don't Assume Check

OMK

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 07:08:06 pm »

Bigfella, check a couple of Brit loonies, by the names of Rik Mayall and Ade Edmonson. Keep an eye open for their 'Bottom' series.
Failing that, try and source a copy of 'Derek and Clive live'(aka: Pete Cook and Dudley Moore).

Anyhow, what's all this about Brit humour? Did you not ever watch Paul Hogan back in the early '80s? He used to have a weekly show screened over here, only I can't remember what is was called. (Probably something like The Paul Hogan Show, or some such). He used to have this puny sidekick and that little guy used to crack me up every time!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

Hi PMK

It was The Paul Hogan Show, which he produced, co-wrote, and in which he played a lot of characters with John Cornell.  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

OMK

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 09:49:29 pm »

Nice one. Thanks.

bigfella

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 10:05:06 pm »

Hi All

All the mentioned shows have appeared on our screens and usually late ate night as fillers. But some shows just don't get an airing. I used to watch Parkinson and sometimes he would have guests and they would be talking about all the shows that they were currently in on TV.  These guests , who were extremely funny, would be unknown to us here in Australia as we miss out on their shows.

PMK
Yes Paul Hogan and his sidekick Strop were extremely funny. Their show is only available on DVD now. It amazes me that some TV networks, who repeat the garbage ad nauseam, do not repeat shows like the Paul Hogan Show. But as Paul Hogan used to say....anyhow.

Regards David

andygh

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 11:10:07 pm »

Mitchell & Webb, stunning comedy especially the Peepshow series (the barbecued dog episode was wonderful)  {-)

Easily the best thing since the Pythons  O0

OMK

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 11:55:32 pm »

Yeah, that's the fella... Strop. It all came back as soon as you mentioned the name. Compared to all that mindless drivel spewing out from Hollywood, not to mention the rest of American trash, Aussie humour is miles classier.
It's no wonder we're all turning into mindless morons these days. Why do the Yanks have to make all that silly yelling and whoo'ing and so-forth anyway? Britain has got just as bad. It seems we have to copy everything the Yanks do and it's no longer possible to watch the TV without some berk whooping and whee'ing like a demented nutter.

So don't be too down on your TV stuff. For what it's worth, Aussies make some of the best TV in the world. For instance, would the name Andrew Keir mean anything to you? (1970s stuff). And what about that movie where this Aussie posh girl used to go around saying "up yer bum!" to everone. A real classic, if only I could remember the title.
And whatever happened to Les Patterson? (I think that was his name - the same guy who does that Dame Edna Everage character).
And another...
Did you see that documentary where a bunch of strippers toured the outbacks of Australia? Some of them guys had never seen a naked cutie before, and the looks on their faces........

Just for the record, did you ever get 'Derek and Clive' down there?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 06:11:08 am »

Another classic film was Strictly Ballroom, I loved that film. The Dad was really funny, the last person you would suspect of anything 'irregular'.

I don't know about the Ozzie film, but Emily Lloyd used to say that in Wish You Were Here. Seaside nostalgia great movie.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 07:08:54 am »

I forgot one of my all time favourites, we are talking tears streaming down faces here.
John Shuttleworth in '500 Bus Stops'.       For those not familiar John Shuttleworth is played by Greme Fellowes (He who wrote and sang Gordon Is A Moron some years back). Anyhow John was made redundant in his 50's and spent his golden handshake a keyboard. His greatest joy in life was taking it on the road and performing such classics as, Pigeons In Flight,Save The Whale and one about Garden centres which was called..??? anyone?? Oh and that homage to B.Ls finest 'Austin Ambassador Y Reg'. These would be performed in public locations as people went about their daily lives. The Whale number for example was done in a frozen food store where John preached the message of saving whales by eating alternative marine life:

'Save the whale,
 it's fins, it's hump,
it's tail.
Stop the slaughter
don't you think we oughta
save the whale?'

Went the chorus, I could go on to one or 2 verses but don't wish to spoil for those who haven't seen it yet.

The show was filmed in a day in the life style and you only ever saw John all the other characters were off camera and dubbed in by Graeme later.
Why 500 bus stops you ask? Well, from memory the aforementioned Y Reg Ambassador lets them down when on a national tour so John and his manager called ..??? some help me out here, take to public transport.
I was lucky enough to see the live show several times.

Come on auntie Beeb stick this comedy gem back on for us
Mogs

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 08:22:53 am »

One of my favourites from the League of Gentlemen is Mr Chinnery the hapless vet - slapstick at its best and wonderfully acted....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X-xOat__xdA&NR=1
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzL_wyMahU
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EYUxxtrWiQk&NR=1

John Shuttleworth is Ok but I don't find him that funny - SWMBO hates him. Growing up in Sheffield in the early 80s I came across a few John Shuttleworths. The actual character seems to be a pretty good representation of a certain type of bloke round there  - their lives ended up revolving around going to the garden centre for a "campuchino" in the cafe

I find radio comedy more to my taste - a current favourite is "Old Harry's Game" by Andy Hamilton

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KH1rxkcRnVQ
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L7V0HghN-vE&NR=1

Wom

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 03:04:40 pm »

Andy Hamilton, Andy Hamilton?? A n d y  H a m i l t o n ???

I listened to the you tube link and it's even worse now coz I recognise a voice.

Where else have I seen /  heard Mr Hamilton ?????

Help Wombat!

Mogs

andygh

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 07:02:40 pm »

QI? various other panel games

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 09:31:24 pm »

Andy Hamilton, Andy Hamilton?? A n d y  H a m i l t o n ???

I listened to the you tube link and it's even worse now coz I recognise a voice.

Where else have I seen /  heard Mr Hamilton ?????

Help Wombat!

Mogs

One appearence on QI

Revolting People - Sgt McGurk

The Million Pound Radio Show

The News Quiz

Albion

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 09:14:08 am »

Extras.
By the same guy who did The Office. Very different, and very funny. Even funnier than the office.

Season 2 of Extras is the best yet. The Keith Chegwin (he of saturday morning kids TV and Cheggars plays pop) episode is hysterical, and also the Orlando Bloom episode where he is rambling on and on about how much better he is than Johnny Depp.

If you havent seen it, it is about an actor/writer who is succesful with a very poor quality Sitcom, which he himself hates due to its banality. Every week there are one or more celebrities playing themselves, but typically sending themselves up.

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 09:42:26 pm »

Thanks Wombat.

I used google images and yes I know Mr Hamilton from Have I got news.
Very funny, quick witted and intelligent geezer.

Mogs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.