Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: USN 110' Sub Chaser in 1/43 scale  (Read 35765 times)

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USN 110' Sub Chaser in 1/43 scale
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 09:42:41 pm »

Hi,

Following your build with interest. The sub chaser being on my to do list.

The plans I have (John Lambert), show the structure on the fore side of the companionway as being a log desk - presumably for use in port.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 05:49:46 pm »

Details added to the aft deck, including lockers, vents and davits (for loading depth charges). Also seen here are the life-raft stowage
racks and the cradle for the ship's boat. Still to be added are the depth charge racks and K-gun launchers.

The cable reel is made from a metal sewing machine bobbin! (just the right size, even if it doesn't have the right number of holes). The cable will be added once it's painted. Also visible in this photo is the fire hose connector.

Hi,

Following your build with interest. The sub chaser being on my to do list.

The plans I have (John Lambert), show the structure on the fore side of the companionway as being a log desk - presumably for use in port.

Thanks for the comments, and for identifying the mystery desk/table! Will your model be a scratchbuild (don't think there are any commercial SC hulls available, at least outside the USA?) and what scale?
I don't have a full-size plan sheet for building my model, just the scale drawings in Squadron "WW2 Subchasers in Action" along with many photographs, both in the latter book and downloaded from the Internet, and photos of the Fine Art Models 1/32 model (I think I posted a link to this earlier in the thread)

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 10:44:26 pm »

Grand job !

It is my intention to scratch build to a scale of 1/35. I'm currently working on a Harbour Defence launch in 1/35, will post pics when I'm a bit further on.

Also looking to build Fairmile B & D etc to a common scale.

I'm sure you've come across this site but just in case.... the pics of SC1474 are excellent for reference

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 05:13:42 pm »

Next I added the "Mousetrap" anti-submarine projector. This fires the same projectile as the more famous "Hedgehog" but is a much more lightweight and basic design, with 4 projectiles per launcher. Unfortunately I forgot to take any photos of the launchers under construction, but their structure is fairly clear in the above photos. They're scratchbuilt from styrene, with Evergreen channel used for the rails. The projectiles themselves will be scratchbuilt and added later.  I'm thinking of making these out of adapted 1/48 aircraft rockets (the sort carried by the Typhoon) which I have plenty of in my spares box - with the middle cut out, the warhead shortened and flattened, and a cylinder around the fins, they should hopefully make passable Hedgehog projectiles.

The ship's boat and two "Carley float" rafts - still unfinished.

The "K-gun" depth charge launchers are made out of assorted spares-box oddments (the domed bases are the tips of 1/72 aircraft bombs) and styrene stock. The curved "arbors" which hold the charges were made using 0.5mm styrene sheet bent to a curved shape using an old aluminium modelling knife handle. The smaller cylinders at 45' held the launching charges, which I believe were blank 3-inch shells (they certainly were on the "Y-gun" launchers used on the SCs in WW1)
The depth charges are commercial resin castings (6 more of which will go in the stowage racks) - I bought these from Mac's Mouldings at a show back in 2008 when I first started this build!

Grand job !

It is my intention to scratch build to a scale of 1/35. I'm currently working on a Harbour Defence launch in 1/35, will post pics when I'm a bit further on.

Also looking to build Fairmile B & D etc to a common scale.

I'm sure you've come across this site but just in case.... the pics of SC1474 are excellent for reference

My model is the odd scale of 1/43 due to using an adapted commercial hull (originally intended for a steam launch) - if I'd built it from scratch I'd have picked either 1/35 or 1/48!
I'd also like to build a HDML and possibly a Fairmile one day, "Coastal Forces" type craft are my main area of interest along with earlier warships from the predreadnought/ironclad eras. I have a hull for a Vosper MTB in 1/35 along with the Astec Vosper 73' ASRL semi-kit which will be future projects, and I've also considered buying the Fleetscale HMS Grey Goose hull - ever since I built Grey Goose in 1/96 scale a couple of years ago, I've wanted to build a larger one for R/C! But my next project after the SC is definitely going to be Caldercraft's HMS Sir Kay, I bought the latter nearly two years ago so don't have much excuse for putting off building it much longer!

What's the URL for the site with the SC1474 photos you mentioned?

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »

Sorry completely forgot the link  :embarrassed:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/01idx.htm

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 05:44:37 pm »

Here I've made a start on the "flying bridge" on top of the wheelhouse. Seen here are the two storage lockers (not sure what they're for; one's probably for signal flares/pyrotechnics) and the small hexagonal platform for the searchlight. I also added an etched brass railing stanchion at each corner, to allow me to estimate the height of the bridge fittings; the other stanchions will go on once the model is painted.

These are the etched brass stanchions (which I got from John R Haynes Models). I'll be using these for the rails around the main deck and the gun platforms, as well as for the bridge railings.

The smaller bridge fittings - from right to left, the binnacle, gyro compass, searchlight and captain's chair - the latter is made out of the pilot's seat from a 1/48 WW1 aircraft kit (after replacing the original with an etched brass one)!

Bridge fittings in place.

Sorry completely forgot the link  :embarrassed:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/01idx.htm

Thanks for the link! Those are certainly good reference photos with a lot of interesting details. Photo 1 is particularly interesting as it shows some crew at work on the mast radar dish, with its cover removed (someone on the bridge appears to be holding the cover) - I don't think I've ever seen this before.
The boats have a very cluttered look in a lot of the photos, with rope coils and fenders all over the place -  not sure if I'll try and replicate this on my model as it may end up looking too messy to see the deck details clearly!

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 04:11:48 pm »

In addition to the two K-guns, subchasers also carried depth charges in roll-off racks at the stern and/or the sides of the quarter deck. These racks are girder-like structures mostly made from "angle iron" and next to the 40mm gun they're by far most complex sub-assemblies on the model! Each one measures about 18x36mm and has 27 parts, excluding the depth charges themselves. I made them using Evergreen styrene angle and channel section; the DCs are the same resin castings used on the K-guns.
Some SCs had depth charge racks at the stern - but the one I'm modelling has the ship's boat stowed here instead.

The basic side frames.

Assembled into a 3D structure.

Completed racks, minus the depth charges.

Resin depth charges temporarily fitted.

Temporarily in place on deck. The K-guns are also visible in this photo.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 04:13:31 pm »

The model is now nearly ready to be painted - the last major area that needs finishing is the mast. First I added the ladder steps - these are L-shaped brackets fitted either side at staggered intervals.

All the ladder brackets are now in place, and I've added the "basket" structure which goes around the radar dome. This is made from a hoop of aluminium tube assembled into a circle using a small brass peg, I then drilled out 4 holes in a cross pattern on this and on the top of the mast, to take the brackets (brass wire), producing a conical basket structure with a fair amount of structural strength (important as this area is very vulnerable to accidental damage)

The radar dome is made out of a cast resin steam locomotive dome found in the spares box! It sits on a base made from styrene sheet. I also added the mast lights and the horn/siren, which are made from plastic sprue offcuts. The small eyebolts at the end of the yard are for the signal halyards.

A view of the model with the completed mast in place, and ready for painting!

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 04:11:14 pm »

I've finally got to the stage of painting the rest of the model - first I masked off the already-painted hull with newspaper and masking tape, then airbrushed everything (including the removable superstructure) with Revell acrylic #57 Grey.

The result makes the model a bit more ship-shape and less like a pile of unpainted plastic and brass!

I brush-painted the decks with Revell #69 Granite Grey, which is a pretty good match for USN "Deck Blue". All of the decks on SCs were painted or stained with this colour - there was no bare deck planking, though I will be weathering the planked areas to suggest the stain wearing away and exposing the wood colour.

The camouflage pattern is painted on the superstructure (brush painted, using masking tape to get a straight line). The few drawings I can find of camouflage SCs suggest that only the wheelhouse sides were camouflaged - the gun platforms, lockers etc. were overall grey. This certainly makes things easier when painting the model!

Four views of the fully painted model (though small details such as lights and bridge fittings are yet to be painted, and the unfinished 40mm isn't even undercoated yet!). The amidships view shows an area of the deck I used to experiment with weathering (as mentioned above). I also used oil washes in various colours to highlight the plank seams and the details on fittings such as the ammo locker, as well as adding a few small patches of rust staining. The next update will show the fully weathered model.

pugwash

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 04:47:51 pm »

Very impressive Edward.

Geoff

mikearace

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »

First rate job

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 12:13:47 am »

Coming together really well now.   .  . soon be on the water :-))

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 06:11:40 pm »

Thanks for the positive comments! The model has already been on the water quite a few times - I sailed it at Black Park this morning and took some photos which will hopefully go in the next update post. My first priority nowadays when starting a build (or, as in this case, resuming an old abandoned project) is to get it "seaworthy" - install running gear and radio, check ballast and watertightness, and sort out access hatch locations - and test it out in the water to make sure everything is working OK, before getting down to the fine detail work.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 04:44:24 pm »

I really need to get on with posting updates - the build thread is lagging behind the model by several stages! Currently I'm working on the Carley floats/rafts, lifebelts, and Mousetrap projectiles, all nearly complete. I've also made and fitted the other anchor (Danforth type) and the anchor chain. Still to do are the ship's boat, guns, crew figures, flags and rigging.

Here are some photos of the model after weathering. They aren't particularly good as regards lighting + focus, as they were taken in the evening under artificial light.

The weathering uses both oil washes and drybrushed acrylic paint. I first drybrushed the decks with dark and light grey in a stippled pattern, to create a worn, discoloured effect, and drybrushed a pale wood colour along the edges of the planked deck area. I then used black and dark brown oil washes to highlight details, recesses and plank seams, and small patches of "burnt umber" oil wash to represent rust on metal fittings. I haven't weathered the hull sides yet - this will probably wait until the rest of the model is complete.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 05:07:25 pm »

Finally, here are the on-water photos from yesterday - you'll probably spot the railings and Carley floats, these will be covered in more detail in the next couple of updates!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 05:12:47 pm »

Looks great Edward, really nice.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

pugwash

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 05:18:07 pm »

Really nice Edward and not that far off finishing now.

Geoff

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 06:09:28 pm »

looking really impressive, are you going to put the canvas screen around the flying bridge?
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 09:14:02 pm »

Looking good on the water.
As you say a few finishing touches plus crew and she is going to look like the real thing on the water.

You must be well pleased

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2011, 05:08:59 pm »

The next stage is to add the railings around the deck and superstructure. I used etched brass stanchions from John R Haynes (https://www.johnrhaynes.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=50) - these are much, much cheaper than turned brass ones, and though they arguably don't look as good, the difference isn't really noticeable overall once the railings are painted.

These are the railing stanchions (previously undercoated in grey) in place on the bridge. You can also see the ship's bell on the mast, which is a commercial turned brass fitting (it doesn't ring!) on a bracket made from a brass pin.

Stanchions on the main deck and gun platforms.

The railings on the bridge and gun platform have tubular steel rails, for which I used thin brass wire. The main deck rails were rigged with steel cable - to make this, I twisted together two lengths of fine (35 SWG) tinned-copper fuse wire, using a Dremel-type mini drill. Put one end of the wires in a vice, pull taut and put the other ends in the Dremel, and run it for a couple of seconds (or less if you're using a high RPM) and you'll end up with a quite convincing-looking scale steel cable.

Here are some views of the completed railings in place:

And an overall view of the model with railings fitted:

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 02:54:40 pm »

Just a tiny update today whilst I finish work on the ship's boat and rafts:

SCs carried a Danforth-type anchor as well as a standard "fisherman's" anchor. I scratchbuilt the Danforth anchor from styrene bits plus a Grandt Line plastic eyebolt.

The anchor installed on deck, with a metal anchor chain added.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 04:28:50 pm »

Next I made the eight projectiles for the "Mousetrap" projectors at the bow. These are the same 65lb/30kg projectiles used on the larger "Hedgehog" projector, so reference material is easy to find, but the "Subchasers in Action" book has scale drawings and numerous close-up photos anyway.

The raw materials for the projectiles - styrene tube and strip plus 8 spare rockets from a 1/48 Airfix Mosquito! It would be possible to make them completely from scratch using styrene rod, but the Mosquito rockets are a very useful shortcut, being exactly the right shape and size.

Projectiles under construction (a completed one is at the bottom of the photo).

Completed projectiles.

Painted dark grey (Revell Tank Grey) and highlighted with a slightly lighter shade. Some contemporary photos show the projectiles in unpainted "natural metal" (possibly training rounds), some olive drab, and some grey.

In place on the launching rails, and ready to fire at any U-boats sighted! I don't know whether the Mousetrap launcher ever scored any confirmed submarine kills during WW2 - with less than half as many projectiles as Hedgehog, the chance of scoring a hit must have been fairly low, and light, fast-moving vessels like the SC can't have made very stable aiming platforms.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 06:08:19 pm »

The 4 lifebelts are commercial plastic fittings. I didn't attempt to replace their plastic ropes with hand-rigged thread, as I've done with models in larger scales! Photos of the Fine Art Models 1/32 subchaser model, which is one of my main references for detailing my model, show the lifebelts as bright orange-red - but lifebelts were usually painted grey in wartime. In fact they often ended up being painted the same colour as the ship carrying them, but I painted these in a slightly different shade of grey to provide visual contrast.

The two "Carley float" liferafts are commercial resin castings. Unlike the lifebelts, I thought it would be worth replacing their moulded ropes and eyebolts with actual thread rigged through metal eyebolts. I also added aluminium mesh to represent the gratings at the bottom of the rafts.

The boat (this will be shown in more detail in the next update) and rafts are undercoated grey (Revell Gunship Grey) - this colour, with a bit of weathering, will remain the base colour for the rafts, whilst the boat will be painted light grey inside and light blue-grey outside.

The completed rafts, painted and weathered, with edge ropes and oars added. The oars are commercial wooden fittings, shortened and reshaped, and treated with wood stain.

The rafts lashed in place on their supporting frames. Rather than relying entirely on the ropes to hold them in place, I also superglued the rafts to the frames! The aft pair of lifebelts can also be seen, on the gun platform rails.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2011, 06:51:18 pm »

The ship's boat, usually stowed at the stern, was a 16-foot wherry. I used a commercial vacform plastic hull which is a bit too big to be accurate, but is the closest match I could find in size and shape, and is clinker-built. After cleaning up the moulding I added internal structural detail from styrene strip, and metal eyebolts for the edge ropes. The seats/thwarts will be made later on from stained plywood.

The painted boat with its rope "fender" in place.

The thwarts are cut out from thin plywood.

The completed boat with thwarts installed and varnished. The oars are the same commercial wooden fittings I used in the rafts.

In place on the quarterdeck. You can see I had to remove a section of deck railing here, as the boat is slightly larger than it should be and won't fit otherwise!

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 12:25:14 pm »

well done on an excellent buid so far. It looks like a very enjoyable project.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.