Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Low Down on Ballast  (Read 6406 times)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
Re: The Low Down on Ballast
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 05:57:43 pm »

I use scrap batteries as my main ballast, backed up by lead flashing. But then again I have a ready source of scrap NP7-12s and a load of lead flashing that was abandoned in the garden. I will be investigating solder scrap out of a flow solder machine as a possible source of ballast.

The dangers from lead in a pond are minimal - the PPM level of contamination is going to be so tiny. The rate of erosion is going to be minimal especially as the boat and lead settle into the mud at the bottom. If you use VRLAs as ballast the leachage will be minimal - the plastic case will see to that.

Of more risk is probably the choice of grease used in the prop-shaft and the leakage of fuel and exhaust in IC craft.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

GaryM

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 08:23:17 pm »

Thanks Wombat. :)
Do you use old car batteries, drain them, then dismantle or are they the AA / AAA type, and do you dismantle these?
I really have to get out and source some of the suggestions mentioned.

regards
Gary

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 10:01:30 pm »

You could always use water ballast? Its free  O0
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 10:20:09 pm »

If you can find a roofer he will let you have scrap lead sheet for the price of a couple of pints (I picked up about 20lb yesterday).

This can be shaped very easily if cut into strips, or if necessary cast into shaped blocks. If you decide to go down the casting route let us know and we will give you some basis precautions to follow.

As to lead contaminating the pond Ha Ha Ha. Lead can leech into water but at a seriously low rate.

We still have hundreds of miles of lead pipe in this country supplying drinking water. Yes there is now a scheme to not fit any more and to gradually reduce what is already fitted, but until all the Victorian housing in the country have gone there will be lead water pipe.

One thing to mention if you work with lead `WASH YOUR HANDS` immediately afterwards ingestion is the easiest way to to get you bodies lead levels to rise at an amazing rate.

Yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 03:14:07 am »

Hi Gary,

Somebody else mentioned a good source of SLA batts on another thread.

According to the post -
Fire alarm companies. They must replace the batteries used in alarm systems on a regular basis. They then have to pay to dispose of these. So they are usually amenable to you taking them away.
Most of these batteries are still usable.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

GaryM

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 01:47:24 pm »

Thanks Tigertiger :)

Time to leave the PC and venture out!

regards
Gary

geoff p

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 08:11:05 am »

Interestingly, some years ago the county council were converting a fishing boat to be a passenger ferry.  Without all the fishing gear it needed ballast, a few tonnes of it.  The boat bobbed about and rolled in a most sea-sickening manner!

The ballast was replaced as a bulkhead wall about a foot thick and from keel to deckhead.  The inertia of this reduced the rate of roll so the ride was much less unpleasant.

Our models often 'bob' about due to lack of inertia and perhaps we could apply the lesson mentioned above to achieve a more realistic motion through the water?

Cheers,
Geoff
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.