Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinese trains  (Read 2591 times)

Albion

Chinese trains
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:55:21 am »

Train journeys in China are real fun Huh. Although i did have a great meal on one once >>:-(

Have you read "Riding ther Iron Rooster" by Paul Theroux, its afew years old now but still makes an interesting read.

boat looks goood BTW

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re:
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:03:54 am »

Train journeys in China are real fun Huh. Although i did have a great meal on one once >>:-(

Have you read "Riding ther Iron Rooster" by Paul Theroux, its afew years old now but still makes an interesting read.

boat looks goood BTW
Not read it but i will keep an eye out.

We now have Japanese style bullet trains here. I can get from Shanghai to Nanjing (about the same as London to Manchester) in 90 minutes, and it only costs about 12 quid return.

Only been on one slow train (hard seat). The toilets were something to behold.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Albion

Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:19:51 am »

I did a couple of overnight 12 hour journeys out of Beijing, One about 6 years back i was the only foreigner on the train, so everyone came to visit my sleeper carriage to have a look at me. Then someone pulled out this brand new polaroid camera (it was huge), and wanted a photo of me on the train. All the other passengers were fascinated by the polaroid and how compact!!! it was. I daren't pull out my Digital camera they would have all fainted.

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Chinese trains
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:15:33 am »

Jeeze... not the train!!! 

TT, sounds like you are spoiled with these new high speed CRH trains but then again so am I which is why I always book them from Hangzhou to South Station.   Hangzhou is gaining more service this year, but for now except for the SHA run, its all on the sloooooooooow train in peasant class.  That trip to Luoyang left at 1830 & arrived 1015 with plenty of stops & smells along the way.  Wait until it starts to warm up...  :-\

Theroux's book was one of the first I read in early 1990 when I started coming to China since train travel was about the only way for me to get around.  Been there, done that & have a lot of tee shirts in my collection.  The best was the first when a new vendor put me on a train in Hangzhou to Jinan without a ticket & no one on board spoke English!  The conductor wanted to charge me $250 worth of FEC for a hard berth folding seat next to the toilet!  >>:-(

The train I rode last week seemed to have the very same cars on it so not much has changed. 

Chuck

"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:19:22 am »

Albion

Things must have changed a lot in 6 years

They have changed a lot in 4.
I used to get stared at, even in Shanghai. Now I am rarely a novelty item anymore. Even in tertiary cities.

Everybody, including itinerant labourers have a mobile phone now.
Most kids have phones with MP3 or MP4 and camera.
Laptops and iPods abound.

Jinmao tower in Shanghai was the 4th tallest building in the world. This is now overshadowed by the soon to be completed World Finanacial Centre.

The change is relentless.

The new kuaikuaiche (bullet train) rolled out across the country on the same day. And they all run on time, but then they always did.

You should nip back and see how much things have changed, you would be fascinated.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:23:16 am »

Chuck

You must have asked the wrong question. i.e. "can I have a ticiket to Louyang?" ::)

You should have asked, "what is the quickest way to Louyang?" ???

Bullet train
Hz to Sha 1 hr. 8)
Sha to Zhengzhou 7 hrs. 8)

Then I guess another trian to Louyang, but I guess there is a bullet trian from ZZ to BJ that stops at Louyang. ;)

The new Spring/Autumn budget airline 290RMB from SHA to ZZ and takes 1.5 hours

Albion

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:45:27 am »

I stopped covering China about 3 years ago, i bet it has changed a lot since then. I only managed one trip to Shanghai, mostly i was in Beijing and surrounding area, Tianjin.

Talking of Laptops, we gave our agent my old work laptop complete with docking station. I went to a meeting a couple of months later and he had his briefcase and a large plastic bag, he usually carried some rubbish about with him so didnt take much notice. When we get in the office he pulls out the laptop with docking station still attached, he didnt realise it came apart, and it would not fit in his briefcase with the docking station attached  O0

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:11:56 am »

TT,

That delightful little 2-day journey was because I left that task up to one my staff who shall go nameless.  One of these days I am certain you'll have the pleasure of meeting her.  Perhaps you & your better half can make that trip to Hangzhou before you pull up stakes & head out west.  If not, I'll be back in SHA once or twice this month on business.  Besides, I still need to buy a lot of motors, not to mention Admiral Zheng He is calling...

Yes, I know, I know... I really do miss the convenience of Spring Airlines & Hongqiao being 15 minutes away from my old place.  Next time, I'll pay a few more quai & fly to Zhengzhou from Xiaoshan airport - I'd rather walk the distance to Luoyang than take another 32+ hour RT train trip! 

Thank heavens my staff don't read this forums since they are tasked with handling QA & will be taking the sleeper train out of HNZ.

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 01:35:29 pm »

Thank heavens my staff don't read this forums since they are tasked with handling QA & will be taking the sleeper train out of HNZ.

They probably know and want a few days out of the office.
Make sure you give them plenty of work to do on the train  :P :kiss: :angel:

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 03:58:57 am »

Yea right!   

I'll just be sure they pack an extra deck of cards along with several bowls of instant noodles.  And we can't forget those delicious red sausage sticks that are 95% soy filler & salt.  :P

Oh, the joys of riding the red rooster! 

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 04:04:50 am »

... And we can't forget those delicious red sausage sticks that are 95% soy filler & salt.  :P

And 5% red food colouring  ;) :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.