Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IN PRAISE OF KITS!!!  (Read 1866 times)

banjo

IN PRAISE OF KITS!!!
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:34:46 pm »

::)

There has got to be time, when your scratching, that you need just a bit of wood to do a job, then just another bit of different specification to do another.  Two inches of tube of one size, three of another.....
When the rivet counters scan my boat, I'll say "Its not a kit,,you can tell cos its all wrong!!!!"

{-)

Stavros

Re: IN PRAISE OF KITS!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:14:05 pm »

Sorry m8 cant resist this

KEEP TAKING THE TABLETTS     O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Stavros

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 04:02:54 am »

There is IMHO a lot to be said for kits.

Everything you need to build the model is in the box  :D, just add motors and radio  :'(.
Although you can add to this. ;)

No special tools needed. :D

Great way to get into modelling and learn basic building techniques and build confidence. :D

I sometimes wish I had bought another kit last year, instead of buying some tools for the scratch build I still haven't started. ::) :embarrassed: :'(
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:27:24 am »

I'm a kit man myself but so far I've never finished a kit as per the manufactures instructions..... sometimes the models have even been improved!  :)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:14:17 am »

When the non initiated think of kits they think of sticking Airfix plabes together and everything numbered so you cant go wrong... :(This is so wrrrrong. Much skill and dedication is still needed to complete a boat or ship kit to a high standard. I cut my teeth on them and still love to build them when i get frustrated at the scratch build...

BreezyB

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 06:28:13 pm »

Having recently come back into Model Yachting I badly wanted to build from scratch again because I get just as much pleasure from building from plans as the sailing bit, however I realised that I may miss out on good weather sailing time this season if I did.
To get me up and running I therefore went down the kit route and bought a no frills, simple to build 20" yacht kit by MRP.
It has just been completed and I must say I have really enjoyed the build , particularly the need for innovation when faced with conflict between the manual diagrams and the step by step instruction. :-\
I still lean towards a scratch build but the kit experience has been great and I would certainly do it again.! :)

Barrie.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.