Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical Connections.  (Read 2655 times)

CERES

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
Electrical Connections.
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:21:07 pm »

:) Hello again,
As some of you know, I am endeavouring to come to grips with R/C and all the gubbins that go with it. So far, you guys have been extremely helpful and I am one grateful OAP to boot for the input so far given.
I now need to indulge a little bit furthur with the fittings used in connecting Motor to ESC and Esc to battery.

When I visit the hobby shop and purcahase a motor and let say a Mtroniks ESc I also have to purchase a set of gold connectors. I then cut off the tamiya connector, solder two wires to the motor points and the fit(solder) the gold connectors to motor wires and ESC.

Am I right in thinking an easier way would be to get a set of wires with the push-on motor clips and that the wires are to a male Tamiya fitting. If I am where are these items available?.

Lastly, I notice the motors have two threaded holes which I assume are for fitting a motor mount, does anyone know the thread size. They look like about a 2m but I am guessing.

Many thanks for your patience & regards Bernard.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
Re: Electrical Connections.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:52:58 pm »

I now need to indulge a little bit furthur with the fittings used in connecting Motor to ESC and Esc to battery.
When I visit the hobby shop and purcahase a motor and let say a Mtroniks ESc

Lastly, I notice the motors have two threaded holes which I assume are for fitting a motor mount, does anyone know the thread size. They look like about a 2m but I am guessing.

The Mtroniks ESC should come with a set of female 'bullit' connectors for the motor and a Tamiya style plug for the batteries to connect to. The motor should come with the male version of the bullit connectors and its simply a case of pushing in the connectors and making sure the motor runs the right way for the prop... If its not the right way round, just swap the bullits / wires.
If the motor doesnt come with the wires / bullits, just make up a pair using bullits of the same size as the ESC ones... A car accessory shop will usually have the right size bullits. Remember to SOLDER the connections and not just crimp them!.

Remove the Tamiya connector from the ESC wires and use something like the 'Deans' plug and socket to connect the battery to the ESC. Remember that its better to have the SOCKET on the battery and the male version on the ESC.. That way you dont have a danger of shorting the battery on anything!.

The threadded holes in the end of the motor should be 3mm thread.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 08:11:33 pm »

If you need anything in the way of batteries, leads, connectors or chargers     http://www.component-shop.co.uk/

Very cheap, UK postage from just 50p and £1 Minimum Order.

Order early morning and there is a fair chance you will get it the following day. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:52:44 am »

For normal scale boats there's nothing wrong with the Tamiya conectors that come with the Mtroniks, they will go straight on to a Nimh battery pack.
I solder the same onto my Lead acids so there's no chance of a reversal.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:06:22 pm »

The bullet connectors on the MTronics ESCs are not too bad - use standard Automotive bullet connectors (the red, blue or yellow ones depending on you wire diameter) but always use a proper ratchet crimp tool - don't bother with the plier type.

The Tamiya connector on the other end, unless you are good at soldering, should be bought with wires already crimped on.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.